Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lowlypeace

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
I ordered the mini and used it for about a week and a half. Initially I loved the form factor, but I realised it also had some issues. For example typing in landscape more while not bad size wise is much more annoying visually, in terms of not being able to see the keys you are typing on. Compared with the full size iPad, there is a big issue here with ease of typing. I love typing on the touch screen, and the big iPad I think I'm faster than on a physical keyboard, but the mini I found it was definitely more awkward due to not being able to see the keys as easily through cramped hands.

Then there was the major issue, screen sharpness/resolution. I tried to overlook this for a few days, and not having a retina iPad before I though I would be ok with it. But as I used it I kept noticing the pixels and blurriness more and more. Especially on viewing the web in portrait mode. How annoying I thought, as a device this compact MUST have RETINA, for the text to be comfortable to view. I mean It is still small in portrait view on the full sized iPad, so in my view it becomes too annoying to use for web browsing in portrait. Yes of course you can turn and use in landscape, but should there be this compromise? I didn't like have a device which was essentially useless for web browsing in portrait and being forced to go landscape. Ive heard some people got round this by overriding the font size in portrait, but that would have some deforming effects to web pages.

No, no, the solution to this IS retina. And when I thought about how the iPhone 5 is smaller than the mini but has retina, and how the big iPad is larger, and has retina, the more it was annoying.

I understand maybe apple were limited somewhat by the form factor they wanted to put out, and it is amazing, but it really, really, has to have retina when it is this compact.

Having said that, Im not sure retina mini will work for me either though. There will still be the issue of cramped and harder to view typing even in landscape, and even when very sharp in portrait the size may be too small to be a comfortable experience.

I ended up returning the mini, and paying a little extra on black friday for an iPad 4. And wo, amazing screen, and due to my previous expectation I was shocked at how light the 4 was lol. When I lifted it out of the box it literally shot up as I had prepared myself for something ridiculously heavy. In reality there is not that much difference between the 2 and 4. After a few days use I would say it is notcible, but really not terrible.

Aug 5, 2012
Well said OP.

I completely agree... Until the mini goes retina its just a fad compared to the 4. I find the Nexus a much nicer alternative to the mini and it's cheaper to boot!

I think Apple should have really thought about releasing this mini product without a retina. Seems a bit desperate to be honest.

Oh well, role on next year for the real deal!

S

syd430

It was made to be a Christmas gift for your grandmother, nothing more. It all about thinking in the short term at Apple now.

Aug 5, 2012
It was made to be a Christmas gift for your grandmother, nothing more. It all about thinking in the short term at Apple now.

Yes exactly... Wonder if this fad will last longer than normal. Probably will as its got an apple logo on it!

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
I returned mine for pretty much the same reason. The size and weight is phenomenal, but other than that it's such a mediocre tablet. I couldn't get past the fact that my iPhone 5 had an A6 processor and retina display, but my portable computer didn't...

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
Fad or not I happen to love my mini. However OP, if you're happy with the 4 then that is ALL that matters. The same can be said for those of us who happen to love our mini's. No need to justify how or what we spend our money on. Grats on the new iPad 4.

Bryanw3535

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2006
Same experience here. Loved the Mini's size and weight, but I went back to the iPad 4 just for the screen. To each his/her own!

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Sounds to me like there are a lot of people posting "why I did ____" on here and many other sites lately. As humans, it's natural to seek assurance that the choices we make are the popular ones, but lately it's been out of control. If you post a new thread on here to say why you made the buying choice you did, the only thing you seek is the reinforcement of those who agree with you. Obviously you're not helping those who are looking for advice, because you're repeating the things people have said over and over.

To say that the mini is sub-par in any way is laughable. If it doesn't suit your personal needs, don't buy it. It's been selling out in stores, a hell of a lot faster than the iPad 4, so clearly Apple has a hit. It's a very tiny minority who is bitching about the screen, just like the small minority who bitched for years that the MB and MBP didn't have Blu-Ray, and look how that turned out.... and for those who bitch about the iPhone 5 not having NFC... doesn't change my satisfaction for my phone one bit.

People will always bitch about something.

PJ.

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2011
I do wonder if when the next gen iPad Mini comes out it would be the same as when the iPad 4 came out. People will say it is what the first should have been. Doesn't sound like the Jobs philosophy does it.

PJ.

TheSpeaker

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
Sold my iPad 3 and got a mini. No complaints whatsoever. Retina on such a device to me is barely noticeable, though nice to have. Size and weight for me way outweighs screen quality for how much time I spend with the device and what I use it for.

But that's me.

Last edited by a moderator:

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Count me out if retina mini is a heavy pos like ipad 4. Also, might be time for Apple to rethink its return policy. As lame as the "why I bought the ____" threads are, it is lamer that people can not figure out whether they will like a product until after they buy and open it. Such waste.

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
I think it's different target markets. Some want the mini as an e reader and do other things an iPad does and lighter in the hand. Others like me want that richer experience and prefer a larger screen. I like to browse web pages and use rdp to my computers, and find the larger screen helps here. Quality issues aside.

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
I'm all about high performance, but when you live in a major city like NYC you don't want to lug around a pound and a half tablet. Sorry, but the iPad 4 is damned heavy. And weighing 135 lbs. probably doesn't help either. :eek:

iPad mini > iPad 4

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Count me out if retina mini is a heavy pos like ipad 4..
I have to believe you're being sarcastic, because I can't imagine that anyone considers the iPad 4 a POS.

I'm all about high performance, but when you live in a major city like NYC you don't want to lug around a pound and a half tablet. Sorry, but the iPad 4 is damned heavy. And weighing 135 lbs. probably doesn't help either.
Honestly, if you really are "all about high performance" you wouldn't trade the 4 for the Mini just because 3/4 of a pound. It just sounds like you're only about moderate power.

Last edited:

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Maybe Tablets are meant to be 10 inch screen at the very least. U have to think of the extra space it took on the screen for keyboard and 7-8 inch could be too small.

comper

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Michigan
Sounds to me like there are a lot of people posting "why I did ____" on here and many other sites lately. As humans, it's natural to seek assurance that the choices we make are the popular ones, but lately it's been out of control. If you post a new thread on here to say why you made the buying choice you did, the only thing you seek is the reinforcement of those who agree with you. Obviously you're not helping those who are looking for advice, because you're repeating the things people have said over and over.

To say that the mini is sub-par in any way is laughable. If it doesn't suit your personal needs, don't buy it. It's been selling out in stores, a hell of a lot faster than the iPad 4, so clearly Apple has a hit. It's a very tiny minority who is bitching about the screen, just like the small minority who bitched for years that the MB and MBP didn't have Blu-Ray, and look how that turned out.... and for those who bitch about the iPhone 5 not having NFC... doesn't change my satisfaction for my phone one bit.

People will always bitch about something.

Love how this guy complains about people trying to justify their purchase and then turns around and does it himself in the same post.

AppleWarMachine

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2011
Michigan, US
I ordered the iPad mini (32GB) 3 days ago, but I felt like I was overpaying for a non-retina tablet, so today I ordered an iPad 4 (32GB), which will be delivered on Friday...go Big or go home :D

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
If only they could somehow keep the mini weight and small size but fit a 9.7 in screen then everybody would be happy. As it is now, Apple are virtually forcing customers to buy two iPads, one around the house and one for out and about.

/s

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
I have to believe you're being sarcastic, because I can't imagine that anyone considers the iPad 4 a POS.

Honestly, if you really are "all about high performance" you wouldn't trade the 4 for the Mini just because 3/4 of a pound. It just sounds like you're only about moderate power.

Are you butthurt that I chose iPad mini over iPad 4?

I'm all about high performance, but weight and size trumps A6X.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
iPad 4 is perfect for what a tablet is meant for -- it's super portable, easy to type on, easy to read on, great display, so it's a great multimedia device. I always get really confused when I see people who would much rather prefer an iPad mini non-retina over an iPad 4 with retina display if given the choice -- truly boggles my mind. Portability doesn't seem like a viable excuse, considering that we're talking about 3/4 of a pound -- unless you weigh 25 pounds, 3/4th a pound won't make a huge difference. If you're looking for super portability, get an iPhone, problem solved.

I have no problem with people choosing iPad mini over an iPad 4 (even though I own an iPad 4), but the think that really irks me are people who purchase both the iPad mini and the iPad 4 and claim that they're both used for different things - makes no sense to me.

All in all, I fully agree with you, OP. Only difference between you and I is that I was able to figure this out while testing out both devices at the Apple store.

Love how this guy complains about people trying to justify their purchase and then turns around and does it himself in the same post.

I was literally thinking the same exact thing as I was reading through his/her post, haha!

Last edited:

bursthead

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
I would love for the next iPad mini to be retina, but then again I think the battery life and weight would suffer.

My iPad mini has been godsend for me. I probably have used my mini more than I have used any other iPad before (I have owned every revision with the exception of the 4thgen). I still own my 3rd gen. And literally it just sits there gathering dust. I can happily carry my mini with me everywhere I go. It's portable enough and small enough to not be obstructive. I felt like I was that guy with the 17in laptop everywhere I went with the regular iPad before.

I really think the full size iPad is dying now, and is going to be produced in smaller quantities, possibly becoming a pro series product. I hope for the rest of you guys who are in love with that size and form factor of the regular iPad, they keep it for you.

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
I picked up my iPad 4 32GB for $485 (open box at best buy + black friday discount)...A mini 32GB would be $429...only a $56 difference, the iPad 4 was a no-brainer

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.