Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eagleeyes011

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Please don't get me wrong, I like the new iMac (3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 released November 2012), and I would love to be the proud new owner of one. However the lack of a DVD drive is preventing me from purchasing one. I live in a very small house and don't have room for a tower, the all in one iMac was perfect for me. My current iMac sits on an end table with not much room for the keyboard and trackpad, and now I have to find more room for a superdrive... Now, not having the DVD drive keeps me from buying it. I'm very space conscious, which means having a DVD drive hanging off of a very crucial USB port is not something that I want to look at every time that I need to insert a DVD/CD (which I use quite often, as NO ONE will send out a brand new thumb drive anytime you order a new movie, pictures, software, its still cheaper to use a DVD). I understand not utilizing a blue ray drive, I'm not a big fan of blue ray. Great for data storage, but the 4.4g that a DVD holds seems sufficient for the rest of the world right now. Blue ray was too early for its own good, and too expensive. Not having the DVD is quite good for business for Apple. Now they get to sell you another component that normally would not be sold had they put it into their "All-in-one". I understand that there are ways around not having one, however this is supposed to be top notch, not patch together. My world is not ready for no DVD drive. Apple is ahead of the game as usual, I just believe that they may be a little too far ahead of the game on this one. APPLE!!! I hope that you are listening! I have been hanging on to my 2005 iMac waiting on its replacement. It was time for a new machine, and now I have to wait again. Thanks. Sincerely, a patient customer.

Now that my griping is over, is it possible to hang a USB superdrive off of the time capsule and access it over wi-fi? I'm guessing that it would be much slower, but still possible. Oh, and forget about using another device while accessing the USB Superdrive over wi-fi... Just a thought. Thanks!

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Yes, your the only one, the rest of us have made out peace with it and bought an external BluRay drive instead. :D

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
It's obvious that Apple has deprecated the DVD drive (rMBPs, MBA, Mini and now iMac) so I would say there is no way it is coming back to the iMac.

Your options are accept it or buy a different machine that does include an optical drive - either a non retina MBP, a Mac Pro or a non-Apple machine

BlueEagle

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2012
Newton NJ
I still wanted a optical drive in my iMac. Thats one of the reason I went with a refurbed 27in model, and becuase I saved a good chunk of $$$. I understand why the optical drives are being phased out and Im fine with it, but I still use the optical drive quite often for ripping CDs into itunes, I guess im one of few that still do, so your not the only one out there eagleeyes011.

I guess we are old school now.

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
I still use a DVD/Cd drive and would have preferred one inside the computer. But, I've had to accept it's not going to happen any more, so there's a Samsung blu-ray sitting on my iMac's stand.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I bought an external CD / DVD reader for £15. You don't have to buy the Apple one for much more.

It's only a matter of time till when you buy a music CD it'll only be a digital download.

Ahem... You will never be able to download music CDs.

DVD is dead... On the way out like tape and cd my friend

Not dead, but the number of people using it is low enough that it is cheaper for a few to buy an external drive, than for everyone to pay for an internal one.

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
I still have a huge collection of CDs and DVDs, I am not re-buying everything from iTunes, nor do I want to rip all of them, so yes I want an optical drive.
For people who speak more than one language, DVDs are still the better option as quite often you can get different soundtracks. Also I enjoy TV series and films that are not available to buy in the UK, I can still buy the discs from foreign retailers, digital formats do not allow me to do that. Piracy is the only option then to get the content, not a clever move.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
velcro or double side tape a superdrive onto the back of the iMac with the opening in the same spot as the last iMacs. Problem solved, no extra space needed.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
As others have said buy an external for $25-$40 most work with mac just check the reviews before buying. theres no reason to get hustled by apple tax on a super drive.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Is there a reason you wouldn't want to just plug in the external superdrive and leave it on your desk? It easily fits under the iMac screen and matches the fit and finish...plus it is easier to access than the old side panel drive.

TjeuV

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2011
Belgium
You're def. not the only one ... but for example: I haven't used a dvd or cd in several years, guessing 5. So even if i would insert a dvd, it probably wouldn't work anymore because the lens has become part of the dust ;)

sukai

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2012
No, your not the only one. I myself wouldn't have cared if it wasn't thin if it had the built in drive. Its a beautiful computer already. I do love the new iMac but I will need to grab me an external dvd/cd/bluray drive after I get it since i will be needing it.

Having no built in drive didn't put me off the iMac at all either, it just would of been better if it did have it. Calling it and all in one is just awkward now lol.

glutenenvy

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
WA
My world is not ready for no DVD drive. Apple is ahead of the game as usual,

Not ahead of the game. Too cheap to license or pay for BluRay. It will cut into their online media sales. Apparently so much so that they are afraid to include any optical devices in new equipment. Instead of giving the option to have a built in BluRay player Apple self determined that optical is dead. It's a pretty good deal for Apple because it limits consumer media choices. Less choice is always bad for the consumer. The least resistance is to purchase new media in the included iTunes and many people do.

There are a lot of people who can make use of BluRay players built into macs. It's nice to have a method for permanent magnetically resistant file storage. Think photos and legal documents. They don't need to be on the web as anywhere they go online is hackable and generally costs money for storage of quantity. A family member's home or safety deposit box will then solve the burned and burgled house problem.

I purchased by 2012 mac with a DVD drive but it would have been more useful with a BluRay. If third party computers were allowed by Apple I would likely have purchased a third party OSX machine with BluRay.

Answering your question; Technically, no I do not want a DVD drive.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
DVD is dead... On the way out like tape and cd my friend

Wow, the intellect on this one! Why don't you go search for the "I hate ___" thread and spend your time there. DVD is not dead. Lots of people still use them and need them. Take your Anti-ODD friends with you and go start a support group for people that don't have anything constructive to say.

To the OP, yes, many people still uses them. Just because Cook, Shiller and Ivy think we are "Dinosaurs" doesn't mean more people don't want them than not. I've already got my external drive sitting here. Going to temporarily duct tape it to my new 27 inch iMac and email it to the big three at Apple thanking them for such an intuitive design!

----------

Not ahead of the game. Too cheap to license or pay for BluRay. It will cut into their online media sales. Apparently so much so that they are afraid to include any optical devices in new equipment. Instead of giving the option to have a built in BluRay player Apple self determined that optical is dead. It's a pretty good deal for Apple because it limits consumer media choices. Less choice is always bad for the consumer. The least resistance is to purchase new media in the included iTunes and many people do.

Absolutely

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
My dad says why not store all of you data on to optical drive's?

Answer: Well I would need 50 of them highly impractical and one scratch would erase all of the data. Thanks but no thanks get with the time's mate, Cloud or HDD/SSD storage through various methods.

Data can also be sent really easily online through various sharing sites so you can't complain really!

maverick72

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2009
Yes you are. Now go play with your toys ... 8 track, magnetic tape, floppy, VHS, Beta oh and do not forget your zip drive.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
My dad says why not store all of you data on to optical drive's?

Answer: Well I would need 50 of them highly impractical and one scratch would erase all of the data. Thanks but no thanks get with the time's mate, Cloud or HDD/SSD storage through various methods.

Data can also be sent really easily online through various sharing sites so you can't complain really!

So every time I want to make a storage backup of say, family photos taken with my dSLR (so they can range in size from 6 to 25MB each) I should either upload them all to some site that I don't know if I can trust to keep my data safe and PRIVATE, or buy an extra HDD or SSD? When ever time I get about 4GB worth, I can burn a single DVD and add it to my off site storage? Or, I should email the grandparents that 4GB video of the kid's Christmas program from last week? While my internet connection could handle it, it would still take a long time to upload, then they have to download it, and their connection is much slower than what I pay for.

Add to that, ISP's have been putting data caps on the land line connections too. Sure they started them high, but just like on mobile, they will jump at the chance to limit, throttle and squeeze more money out of us for data usage. Sorry, I'll stick to DVDs. I'd rather Apple suck it up and include Blu-ray, but that is about as likely as Steve returning from the dead.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Yes you are. Now go play with your toys ... 8 track, magnetic tape, floppy, VHS, Beta oh and do not forget your zip drive.

Yes because all the medias you mentioned are still widely sold in retail store :rolleyes:

Keep your useless comments to yourself.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Please don't get me wrong, I like the new iMac (3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 released November 2012), and I would love to be the proud new owner of one. However the lack of a DVD drive is preventing me from purchasing one. I live in a very small house and don't have room for a tower, the all in one iMac was perfect for me. My current iMac sits on an end table with not much room for the keyboard and trackpad, and now I have to find more room for a superdrive... Now, not having the DVD drive keeps me from buying it. I'm very space conscious, which means having a DVD drive hanging off of a very crucial USB port is not something that I want to look at every time that I need to insert a DVD/CD (which I use quite often, as NO ONE will send out a brand new thumb drive anytime you order a new movie, pictures, software, its still cheaper to use a DVD). I understand not utilizing a blue ray drive, I'm not a big fan of blue ray. Great for data storage, but the 4.4g that a DVD holds seems sufficient for the rest of the world right now. Blue ray was too early for its own good, and too expensive. Not having the DVD is quite good for business for Apple. Now they get to sell you another component that normally would not be sold had they put it into their "All-in-one". I understand that there are ways around not having one, however this is supposed to be top notch, not patch together. My world is not ready for no DVD drive. Apple is ahead of the game as usual, I just believe that they may be a little too far ahead of the game on this one. APPLE!!! I hope that you are listening! I have been hanging on to my 2005 iMac waiting on its replacement. It was time for a new machine, and now I have to wait again. Thanks. Sincerely, a patient customer.

Now that my griping is over, is it possible to hang a USB superdrive off of the time capsule and access it over wi-fi? I'm guessing that it would be much slower, but still possible. Oh, and forget about using another device while accessing the USB Superdrive over wi-fi... Just a thought. Thanks!

You and me both. I guess people at least on this forum stream or dl everything. I still need my odd and having to use a external is gonna be more space to take up and one more precious usb port used. Ah well, at least you can get bluray and rip it.

chilady1

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2011
Northeast
No you are not the only one who wants a DVD drive

I don't think you are alone. Although I recognize that DVD/CD drives are on their way out - I personally am not ready to give them up. Hence, why I purchased a mid-2011 iMac 27 inch from Craiglist.

I went back and forth on this question also and landed on the fact that I just didn't need the latest model of the iMac and in addition, I like where the SD slot is on the old macs. The SD slot on the new one is in the back which IMHO is really a dumb place to put something that is used quite often.

Of course, I realize this is done to protect integrity of the new "thinner" body. I am very happy with my purchase of the old over the new but I wish everyone who has purchased the new iMac the best of luck. I do want to hear how others like their new toys.

imanidiot

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2011
Denver, CO
You're not the only one. But I don't find the use of an external drive to be that big a deal. You have space constraints, but as others have pointed out, an external drive will fit nicely on the iMac stand, so I don't see that as being a valid concern.

As for the comments about how physical media is obsolete, nonsense. The sales of turntables have increased since the humble LP was pronounced dead, and a well-recorded LP in good condition played back on a quality analogue system will stomp the **** out of digital. And, yes, a well-recorded CD will similarly best a downloaded file. And a Blu-ray disc is simply not comparable to anything available in the iTunes store; the quality of Blu-ray is considerably superior. But, as always, it does depend (somewhat) on the equipment used to play it. However, having said that, I feel that Apple has it right: most people don't care. Those who care about quality are always in the minority.

Just my $0.02.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.