Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
I always find it weird that MacRumors has so much active forum members (773k, not counting the ones lurking and not signing up) and revolves around a tech company that puts so much attention to design, yet every time I come here I feel like I'm looking at some old inactive forums from a decade ago.

The template and color scheme don't look very good, but not that bad either. It's minimalist enough that it doesn't show its age. I don't think that light grey and lavender go well together, but I can live with it.

I think that the worst offenders are actually the icons.

Starting with smilies: ;) :) :D
Also, those formatting options icons:
quote.gif
insertorderedlist.gif
email.gif

Buttons:
reply.gif
quote.gif

And those various icons:
forum_new.gif
whos_online.gif
thread_dot_new.gif
icon4.gif
icon1.gif
subforum_new.gif

Those simply don't look like they belong on a tech forum from 2012.

From what I understand, MacRumors uses vBulletin 3 for the forums, and they're still using the default template which has been designed in 2004. They seem to have some control over the theme colors and icons they use (that Apple logo smiley probably wasn't there originally) but I don't know to what extent. They're probably limited to using .gifs and CSS2, which doesn't help the situation.

Perhaps the best idea would be to simply upgrade to a modern version of vBulletin.

Here's what the default theme in vBulletin 5 looks like: (Click to enlarge)

vb51.png
vb52.png

vb53.png
vb54.png

That already looks a lot more modern, and if you want to customize it further more, there are loads of options in the admin control panel. You can also upload your own PNG icons / smileys which will of course look better than those old gifs.

However, vBulletin 5 is not officially released. You can already buy it ($209) and use one if its final beta releases, but the gold version is only expected in the coming weeks. That may be a good opportunity to upgrade given that upgrading from v3 to v5 directly is supported and that this has to happen one day or another. New vBulletin versions only come out once in 4 years and I certainly hope they won't keep that outdated theme on MacRumors until early 2017...

It seems that MacRumors has some pretty decent designers seeing their recent banners on the front page (Christmas sales, Pre-event roundups, etc.) and I'm sure they could come up with something beautiful if they weren't limited to using old standards like CSS2 and GIFs.

Of course, upgrading to a forums platform that is 8 year more recent will also bring lots of new functionalities, not just a more modern design.

What do you think?

Am I the only one getting tired of this outdated forums look or would you also like to feel like you're actually looking at a highly-active Apple forums from 2012, not 2002?

Last edited:

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I always find it weird that MacRumors has so much active forum members (773k, not counting the ones lurking and not signing up) and revolves around a tech company that puts so much attention to design, yet every time I come here I feel like I'm looking at some old inactive forums from a decade ago.

Yep. I agree the theme is outdated. Moving from vB 3 to 4 or 5 is not an easy decision to make. Everything I've heard has warned against going to vB 4, which is why we sit at vB 3. vB 5, I'm not sure is much better. But it's not officially out yet, so it may be too early to say.

The forum theme can be updated independent of the underlying version of vB. And we are working on it, slowly.
wink.png

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
I (and I know I've said it before) think vB 4.2 is a very mature forum script, and would be a worthy upgrade, provided you had the man power to upgrade all of the modifications to vb 4, or provide that same functionality in some way.

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
Yep. I agree the theme is outdated. Moving from vB 3 to 4 or 5 is not an easy decision to make. Everything I've heard has warned against going to vB 4, which is why we sit at vB 3. vB 5, I'm not sure is much better. But it's not officially out yet, so it may be too early to say.

The forum theme can be updated independent of the underlying version of vB. And we are working on it, slowly. Image

I was on another fairly big site that migrated to 4.x and it was not a fun event. I helped with the testing and bug finding on a test site for us and when we went live it was not as fun. And even then people got very angry because the site looked different.

People asked for updated look but when you give it to them the ones that didn't want updated look came out in larger numbers wanting it to go back to how it looked before. The look even lost several visitors for a while. Till they tweaked it to look the same as the old way.

It's a fine line. The ones that don't say a thing and like the design are a greater number than those looking for updated look.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
The forums being functional is far more important than updated icons.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I find this to look very comfortable and functional as it is. I'd much rather keep using these than any of the screens you've posted.

Even though version 3 is technically kind of old, these forums work great. Why change it?

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Looks fine, as far as is known works fine. So why update? Unless there is a very compelling reason for upgrading I don't bother. No upside besides minimal eye candy, terror and heartache on the downside not to mention the time spent. It's the content that counts.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
What do you mean? What does an Apple forum look like? It looks like a forum, that talks about Apple.

Meets those requirements.

Apple products in general have good aesthetics both software and hardware, MacRumors doesn't reflect that.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Apple products in general have good aesthetics both software and hardware, MacRumors doesn't reflect that.

From what we've been told, vBulletin 4 is extremely unreliable and 5 isnt out yet. They don't seem to offer much more functionality. I'd prefer the current stability over some new eye-candy.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
From what we've been told, vBulletin 4 is extremely unreliable and 5 isnt out yet. They don't seem to offer much more functionality. I'd prefer the current stability over some new eye-candy.

You don't have to change vBulletin, you can theme the current one.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
What do you mean? What does an Apple forum look like? It looks like a forum, that talks about Apple.

Meets those requirements.

Too many buttons. An Apple forum should have just one button.. maybe none.

Maybe it should be gesture-based. I know whenever I read any of the fiery Apple-Samsung threads, all I'm doing is making gestures at the screen.....

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007

The forum theme can be updated independent of the underlying version of vB. And we are working on it, slowly. Image

Do _not_ go with vB 4 or vB 5.

Seriously. If you care about your forums, do not use them. They are a world of hurt.

XenForo or Invision are way better options. The fact that vB is owned by a completely morally wrong company is one reason, but the software is just terribly coded. vB5 still has loads of vB3 code, just made even more of a mess.

I own and run a lot of forums - we saw massive losses in numbers with vB4. vB5 will be even worse as the entire thread and post id scheme is rewritten with no way to import old numbers, so every thread ID will become invalid. This is one of the major problems with the software, and they have already said it wont be changed. Basically upgrading is pretty much going to kill a site in seconds. Every single link to every single thread becomes a 404 - and it's not a simple case of remapping id's or mod_rewriting things to the correct location.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Do _not_ go with vB 4 or vB 5.

Seriously. If you care about your forums, do not use them. They are a world of hurt.

XenForo or Invision are way better options. The fact that vB is owned by a completely morally wrong company is one reason, but the software is just terribly coded. vB5 still has loads of vB3 code, just made even more of a mess.

Ya, unfortunately, XenForo seems to have fizzled out, at least last I payed attention. There was a lot of uncertainty about its future.

No, I think we're sticking with vb3. And we are working on a new theme and some other improvements.

arn

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006

To be honest I like the current theme. If you update it, leave us the option to switch to this theme if possible.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
I like the way it is. Everything works. If you change something everybody will start to complain.

The content is what needs to change and is changing just fine.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Ya, unfortunately, XenForo seems to have fizzled out, at least last I payed attention. There was a lot of uncertainty about its future.

No, I think we're sticking with vb3. And we are working on a new theme and some other improvements.

arn

The XenForo vs vB trial should be going ahead early 2013. There's no way in hell vB will win. Their claims are a total sham. I've followed the lawsuit somewhat on and off over the last year, and they really have no case to answer. Even vB staff have testified that there is no similarities in the software.

It was all done by Internet Brands to try and cause damage to XenForo. It failed.

Kier from XenForo did confirm last week that they will be continuing development at full pace once the trial is resolved. It's certainly not going to vanish.

Glad to see you're sticking with vB3 - cant go far wrong with it! The current layout/theme is fine as far as I can see. The only (very minor) change I'd like is better themed buttons instead of the default ones.

Oh and more smileys :p

snowleopard48

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
In this proposed new theme, will the header etc change? Or is it just the actual forum content design, because if it's the latter, good because that really needs to change.

The footer is also terrible and messy.

I understand that it's a pain to upgrade forums, and I've had this discussion before, but I too believe that vB4 is very good as far as forums go, and I don't see any issues with it usability wise.

Last edited:

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
Another "vote" for leaving it alone. Why the urgency to change everything all the time? If things were broken, I would understand, but this isn't broken at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.