Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bokes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 4, 2008
I upgraded iTunes and now I can not import any files I burn in handbrake into the new version of iTunes.

Anyone else having this issue?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I upgraded iTunes and now I can not import any files I burn in handbrake into the new version of iTunes.

Anyone else having this issue?
Not me. Just imported a file into iTunes yesterday.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Using the Apple TV 3 preset everything ive encoded this week has been fine,

iMac has been busy with Star Trek The Next Generation season 1 blurays and they all imported fine after a trip through Handbreak then Subler.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Are you sure they aren't importing? Could they be going to Home Movies instead of Movies? Read in another thread that this happens with some local media. Have to go into Get Info and change Home Movie to Movie or use a tagging program so it is correctly labeled as a Movie. Just a shot.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Are you sure they aren't importing? Could they be going to Home Movies instead of Movies? Read in another thread that this happens with some local media. Have to go into Get Info and change Home Movie to Movie or use a tagging program so it is correctly labeled as a Movie. Just a shot.

Yes, I posted that about the "Home Movies" folder....It just appeared when I ripped a DVD of a TV series.....I have no idea what Apple were thinking...Home Movies should imply things filmed with your own cameras and not commercial offerings...I discovered it by digging around, but only one of the 4 I ripped wound up there...odd:confused:

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Yes, I posted that about the "Home Movies" folder....It just appeared when I ripped a DVD of a TV series.....I have no idea what Apple were thinking...Home Movies should imply things filmed with your own cameras and not commercial offerings...I discovered it by digging around, but only one of the 4 I ripped wound up there...odd:confused:

Just edit the meta-data and the files will show correctly. You can use an app called identify http://identify2.arrmihardies.com if you are lazy like me.

If you prefer the miserable time consuming way, right click on the file in itunes and select get info. Got to the options heading, and specify the media kind. This is what determines if a file show up as a movie, tv show or home movie. While you are in there you can add or Modify to the other meta-data as well...

Save yourself some time and get identify.;)

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Just edit the meta-data and the files will show correctly. You can use an app called identify http://identify2.arrmihardies.com if you are lazy like me.

If you prefer the miserable time consuming way, right click on the file in itunes and select get info. Got to the options heading, and specify the media kind. This is what determines if a file show up as a movie, tv show or home movie. While you are in there you can add or Modify to the other meta-data as well...

Save yourself some time and get identify.;)

I just moved them...:D

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Yep, it was a thread you posted to that I was reading.

I have to give iTunes a little break on this one. The only way for it to know that your content is commercial vs home recorded would be to do some sort of title search. It must just assumes that anything you add from your locally must be a Home Movie because anything else would be illegal...right? And that's why, if you use a tagging app, it will label it as Movie vs Home Movie and iTunes will put it wherever the tag says it should belong.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Yep, it was a thread you posted to that I was reading.

I have to give iTunes a little break on this one. The only way for it to know that your content is commercial vs home recorded would be to do some sort of title search. It must just assumes that anything you add from your locally must be a Home Movie because anything else would be illegal...right? And that's why, if you use a tagging app, it will label it as Movie vs Home Movie and iTunes will put it wherever the tag says it should belong.

That would make perfect sense IF they all went into the Home Movies section, but they don't. I ripped a DVD of a show called Morse...detective UK crime series, pretty old. That went into the Home Movies section. I then ripped a fresh copy of Lord Of The Rings ( the first one) as I needed it in ATV 3 format. It went right into the Movies section. So I'm not sure how iTunes decides where things wind up...I guess it's no big deal, as moving them is no problem...I wonder if it has anything to do with upcoming ATV releases? Just a guess.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
That would make perfect sense IF they all went into the Home Movies section, but they don't. I ripped a DVD of a show called Morse...detective UK crime series, pretty old. That went into the Home Movies section. I then ripped a fresh copy of Lord Of The Rings ( the first one) as I needed it in ATV 3 format. It went right into the Movies section. So I'm not sure how iTunes decides where things wind up...I guess it's no big deal, as moving them is no problem...I wonder if it has anything to do with upcoming ATV releases? Just a guess.
Did you tag the ripped files manually, with an app (Subler, iVi, MetaX, etc)? Could it be that the tagger labeled them differently? I don't think a lot of taggers have "Home Movies" as a category. Just trying to figure out where the tagging inconsistency originates. Or...did both of your rips have "Movies" as it's tag and iTunes moved them to different places?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.