Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:59 PM   #1
therep2004
macrumors newbie

Help! Is iPhone 4S still the best phone out there?

Hi, longtime lurker. Here's my predicament.

I have been involved in a protracted dispute/negotiation with my phone carrier about my cruddy android phone (Droid charge). The phone is a joke. The phone's battery lasts maybe 2 hours max, even with a new one installed, I can't receive calls from my wife for some strange reason, it's too big/awkward for me, and there are 1,000 other reasons why I'm fed up (battery life being #1).

I've had the phone for almost 2 years, so I'm available for an upgrade in February. The problem is I need a new phone now. Luckily, my carrier offered to send a replacement phone. After some negotiation, they offered to send me a iPhone 4. The reason is that I told them I wanted the 5, but since it is a premium phone, they won't early-upgrade me. I thought the 4 would be a good choice since I will just upgrade it in February to the 5.

However, the phone company screwed up by failing to send me the phone. It just fell through the cracks. So I called back, complained, and now they are sending another phone, this time a iPhone 4S 16gb. Now I'm thinking this might actually be the ideal phone for me. It's small. As a man I cannot stand bulky things in my pockets, and the iphone 5 is just too long and odd-looking to me. I also dislike the anondized look.

Since the iPhone 4S doesn't count as an upgrade, I can use it without a case since if something happens to it, I will most likely have an upgrad up my sleeve. The iPhone 4S also wont affect my current plan (unlimited data) even though I'm now downgrading from 4G to 3G.

Besides screen size, it sounds like the 4S has it all. I actually *want* a smaller screen. It will fit perfect in my tight jeans, or jacket pocket without being a nuisance. Now I'm thinking of rocking the 4S for as long as it lasts.

I've never owned an iphone before. Am I missing something, or is the iPhone 4S still the go-to business man's phone?

finally, I feel like the most important thing I'm giving up is being able to get my IPad 3 4G through the Foxwi wifi hotspot app.

Your input is greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:02 PM   #2
sviato
macrumors 68000

I was considering getting an iPhone 5 but my 4S still runs great. The battery lasts me at least all day and it can do everything I need a smartphone to.

It's a good phone so use it as long as you want, and if you want to try something new or you don't like it, you'll still have your upgrade available like you said.
sviato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:02 PM   #3
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816

Why don't you just get a small flip phone?
SomeDudeAsking is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:10 PM   #4
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by therep2004 View Post

I have been involved in a protracted dispute/negotiation with my phone carrier about my cruddy android phone (Droid charge). The phone is a joke. The phone's battery lasts maybe 2 hours max, even with a new one installed, I can't receive calls from my wife for some strange reason, it's too big/awkward for me, and there are 1,000 other reasons why I'm fed up (battery life being #1).

I've had the phone for almost 2 years, so I'm available for an upgrade in February. The problem is I need a new phone now. Luckily, my carrier offered to send a replacement phone. After some negotiation, they offered to send me a iPhone 4. The reason is that I told them I wanted the 5, but since it is a premium phone, they won't early-upgrade me. I thought the 4 would be a good choice since I will just upgrade it in February to the 5.

However, the phone company screwed up by failing to send me the phone. It just fell through the cracks. So I called back, complained, and now they are sending another phone, this time a iPhone 4S 16gb. Now I'm thinking this might actually be the ideal phone for me. It's small. As a man I cannot stand bulky things in my pockets, and the iphone 5 is just too long and odd-looking to me. I also dislike the anondized look.

Since the iPhone 4S doesn't count as an upgrade, I can use it without a case since if something happens to it, I will most likely have an upgrad up my sleeve. The iPhone 4S also wont affect my current plan (unlimited data) even though I'm now downgrading from 4G to 3G.

Besides screen size, it sounds like the 4S has it all. I actually *want* a smaller screen. It will fit perfect in my tight jeans, or jacket pocket without being a nuisance. Now I'm thinking of rocking the 4S for as long as it lasts.

I've never owned an iphone before. Am I missing something, or is the iPhone 4S still the go-to business man's phone?

finally, I feel like the most important thing I'm giving up is being able to get my IPad 3 4G through the Foxwi wifi hotspot app.

Did you miss this? Or are you saying a flip phone would be a better choice than an iphone..
dukebound85 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:14 PM   #5
therep2004
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I still have my samsung flip phone, it was great. Of course, like everyone here, I'm now used to having data on my phone. My favorite apps are whatsapp and Viber, which enables me to contact my friends all over the world for free. So I'm hooked. Thanks!
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:15 PM   #6
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000

I don't think I understand the actual question here?
Leonard1818 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:29 PM   #7
MF878
macrumors regular

I would take it. It may not be the latest, and after owning an iPhone 5 I strongly prefer it to the 4S, but it's free and doesn't affect your upgrade cycle.
Apple TV (3rd gen)
MF878 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:35 PM   #8
Browns2212
macrumors regular

It doesn't have LTE, which to a lot of people, including me is a big deal. It's amazing how much faster LTE is vs 3G.

Not sure if you have LTE in your area (and if you don't then it does makes the phones somewhat similar), but the 4S most certainly doesn't have everything the i5 has. I've never owned one, but it's still a great phone though as a few of my friends have them.
Browns2212 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:36 PM   #9
Wuiffi
macrumors 6502a

You answered the question yourself. You said the phone is more or less perfect for you (no anodized aluminium, small, etc). So I guess what you want to hear from us is: Great, go for it!
so
Go for it!

(no sarcasm!)
Wuiffi is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:42 PM   #10
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
I still have my samsung flip phone, it was great. Of course, like everyone here, I'm now used to having data on my phone. My favorite apps are whatsapp and Viber, which enables me to contact my friends all over the world for free. So I'm hooked. Thanks!
I can't say from experience if the iPhone 5 is better than the 4S (which is mostly subjective, by the way) since I still have a 4S but I can say from following the many threads in these forums that there appear to be advantages to both. What makes one appeal to you more than the other is what matters to you.

For example, if you want the fastest cellular data speeds, obviously the 5 is better than the 4S (also if you want the newest, shiniest thingamajiggy). If you want the more durable of the two, it sounds like the 4S would be better than the 5 (again, that's not from personal experience, just what's in these forums...and we all know about that...).

The 4S is certainly a good phone and has all but one (as far as I know) feature in iOS 6 that the 5 has: the ability to take still photos while filming video.

Based on that, they're essentially the same, save for the two most obvious differences, which are screen size and LTE. There are other obvious differences (#3 being between looks and speed/internals) but those previous ones are, in my opinion, the "big two".

You stated that you actually prefer a smaller screen so based on that, it sounds to me like the 4S is the best for you.

Last edited by r2shyyou; Dec 12, 2012 at 02:10 PM. Reason: fixed typo ("doesn't have" to "has") and added clarification
r2shyyou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:48 PM   #11
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
The carrier offered to replace it with an iphone. I don't see why he would to go for the flip phone, especially when he'd still be paying for data/possibly text both of which are more cumbersome to use on such a phone.

Quote:
I had one of those a number of years ago. They worked great. Why not get the 4S then upgrade whenever the 5 is replaced? It's not like you have to do it right at 2 years. If they don't allow early upgrades, you might be able to stretch it a bit further that way.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:51 PM   #12
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2shyyou View Post
I can't say from experience if the iPhone 5 is better than the 4S (which is mostly subjective, by the way)
The only thing subjective is the term "better" but I would guess that the "better" part of people who have owned both would agree that the 5 is superior to the 4s. I loved my 4s and would still carry one if I had no choice.
Leonard1818 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:59 PM   #13
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard1818 View Post
...I would guess...
Exactly, it's just a guess. No one answer is right for everyone. That's all that I was trying to express.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:09 PM   #14
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

No the iPhone 4S isn't the best answer out there. And yes that was a stupid question lmao. It's over a year old. Phones like the Galaxy Note 2, the S3 and iPhone 5 have released so now it's an "old phone". It's not up to standards anymore. It doesn't have LTE, only half a gb of RAM, an ok camera, huge dock connector, and manages to weigh more than the 4.
tymaster50 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:19 PM   #15
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
No the iPhone 4S isn't the best answer out there. And yes that was a stupid question lmao. It's over a year old. Phones like the Galaxy Note 2, the S3 and iPhone 5 have released so now it's an "old phone". It's not up to standards anymore. It doesn't have LTE, only half a gb of RAM, an ok camera, huge dock connector, and manages to weigh more than the 4.
Your opinion is welcome and appreciated. Calling the OP's question "stupid" is not welcome and reflects poorly on you (regardless of whether or not you care).
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:32 PM   #16
cynics
macrumors 603

I love my iPhone 4S. I use high end Android devices like the Nexus 10 with the latest version of Android but still prefer my 4S. Its small like you want and it might be slightly featureless compared to certain phones and/or not as powerful as the iPhone 5 but it still very fast.

If they are just going to give you the phone I dont see any down sides....
cynics is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:38 PM   #17
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Its all a matter of opinion.
Whats the best phone for you might not be for someone else.
If you ask my uncle he says his old Nokia with simple and big buttons that light up at night is the best phone.
Applejuiced is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:41 PM   #18
mikeydeezy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
an ok camera, huge dock connector.

Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:41 PM   #19
inselstudent
macrumors 6502a

I'm still using my iPhone 4 and after more than 2 years it's still in mint condition. It's definitely the sturdiest phone I've ever owned! And since the iPhone 4S is basically a better version of the 4, I think you'll be more than happy with it. Battery life on the 4S is said to be worse than on the 4 though, but I think it should last through the day...
inselstudent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:49 PM   #20
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

If you're getting the 4S for free, then I'd say that the 4S is the best free phone you can get out there. You have nothing to lose. I'd say go for it.

Then, in February when you have your upgrade, you can see what options are open to you.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:13 PM   #21
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2shyyou View Post
Exactly, it's just a guess. No one answer is right for everyone. That's all that I was trying to express.
OK, how about guarantee. Replace guess with 'guarantee' and update your reply accordingly.
Leonard1818 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:20 PM   #22
iSensei
Banned

4S < Galaxy S3 = iPhone 5

Galaxy S4 > iPhone 5

iPhone 5S = Galaxy S4

and so on
iSensei is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:27 PM   #23
Random 995K
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSensei View Post
4S < Galaxy S3 < iPhone 5

Galaxy S4 < iPhone 5

iPhone 5S > Galaxy S4

and so on
Yeah mate maybe do some research, the iphone 5 blows the S3 out of the water in performance, of course you are probably just looking at specs and thinking that more is better. Well you are wrong. Check out the links below, ill kindly fix your comment for you.

Lets look at battery life and the over estimated battery of the S3. http://www.anandtech.com/show/6330/t...ne-5-review/13

Next CPU performance, dual core vs quad core, you would think quad core is better. Well no. Architecture is far more important. Also look at the sun spider tests which measures java loading time, indicating the time it takes to open a webpage.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6330/t...ne-5-review/10

GPU. The iPhone 5 significantly is the leader here, closing in on even the iPad 4.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6330/t...ne-5-review/11

Display. And by that i mean contrast, saturation, brightness etc.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6330/t...ne-5-review/15

Unless you think the S3 is better because of a bigger screen, then fair enough, but that is subjective.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:11 PM   #24
itjw
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random 995K View Post
Yeah mate maybe do some research, the iphone 5 blows the S3 out of the water in performance, of course you are probably just looking at specs and thinking that more is better. Well you are wrong. Check out the links below, ill kindly fix your comment for you.

Lets look at battery life and the over estimated battery of the S3. http://www.anandtech.com/show/6330/t...ne-5-review/13

Next CPU performance, dual core vs quad core, you would think quad core is better. Well no. Architecture is far more important. Also look at the sun spider tests which measures java loading time, indicating the time it takes to open a webpage.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6330/t...ne-5-review/10

GPU. The iPhone 5 significantly is the leader here, closing in on even the iPad 4.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6330/t...ne-5-review/11

Display. And by that i mean contrast, saturation, brightness etc.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6330/t...ne-5-review/15

Unless you think the S3 is better because of a bigger screen, then fair enough, but that is subjective.
Right, but how much PLASTIC does the iPhone have???

GOTCHA!

itjw is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:48 PM   #25
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Can't go wrong with the 4S. It's still a very decent phone, it will do what you want without any trouble at all. The 5 is not that big an upgrade besides the taller screen, faster chip (milliseconds difference) and LTE.
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone