Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
London
This was a very useful post, thanks a lot!

Guess I won't be buying AppleCare then.

This just means I can take it to a Genius and they'll give me the same stuff as with AppleCare? Literally all I miss is being able to phone them?

You can still phone them, they just won't talk you through software issues and the like. My Mrs' MacBook battery died suddenly. She phoned Apple and they sent a courier to collect it and dropped it back.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
the best bit of news is that there is a 3 year parts and labour warranty included as standard. This parts and labour warranty is similar to Applecare, but not quite as good. Applecare gives you 3 years warranty and 3 years phone support, the HE Contract gives you 3 years warranty and 1 years phone support.

All students I know received an email about 90 days later saying the extended warranty is now in effect (all Macs come with 90 days phone support, so I guess they tell you then to be clear your one year phone support is in effect).

I came here because I noticed on the website that my new iMac (Which I ordered online) said that they estimate the warranty will be over by Dec. 3rd next year.

But I supposed I'll wait 90 days and see what happens then.

Brradley

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
I came here because I noticed on the website that my new iMac (Which I ordered online) said that they estimate the warranty will be over by Dec. 3rd next year.

But I supposed I'll wait 90 days and see what happens then.

Have you received any sort of confirmation yet?

angelsguardian

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
North East Scotland
I bought a late 2011 base MBP with discount + discounted Applecare in an Apple Store in June. Swapped for a mid 2012 base MBP 5 days later when they arrived but was told the Applecare discount wasn't available any longer so got a refund. Reading this thread later I wasn't surprised, if disappointed that the warranty didn't extend as per HE contract as I bought in store.
Anyway, today I got Applecare to make a phone exception and call me as the power adapter has failed. During the call (all sorted and received shipping notification of new part within an hour) they started trying to sell me Applecare. I said they didn't really want to start that conversation and was asked why. So to cut a long story short was told that store should have transferred Applecare to second machine, told them the serial number of the first machine and (despite having refunded the cost) they transferred the warranty onto my new MBP. Checked service status an hour later and now have warranty & phone till June 2015.
Very impressed yet again that Apple fixed their mistake in my favour.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I bought a late 2011 base MBP with discount + discounted Applecare in an Apple Store in June. Swapped for a mid 2012 base MBP 5 days later when they arrived but was told the Applecare discount wasn't available any longer so got a refund. Reading this thread later I wasn't surprised, if disappointed that the warranty didn't extend as per HE contract as I bought in store.
Anyway, today I got Applecare to make a phone exception and call me as the power adapter has failed. During the call (all sorted and received shipping notification of new part within an hour) they started trying to sell me Applecare. I said they didn't really want to start that conversation and was asked why. So to cut a long story short was told that store should have transferred Applecare to second machine, told them the serial number of the first machine and (despite having refunded the cost) they transferred the warranty onto my new MBP. Checked service status an hour later and now have warranty & phone till June 2015.
Very impressed yet again that Apple fixed their mistake in my favour.

That is really bloody great! Nice to know customer service is still good.

I've quoted your whole story as it's worth repeating :)

bmouthboyo

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2013
Can I ask, my bro is at university in his 3rd year which is a placement year. He has his uni email etc still but is not in uni this year so cannot order using uni campus internet without taking time of work and going to campus.

If we order over the phone what details will they need to verify he is in FE? And are apple still offering the 3 year apple warranty?

Thankyou

macsymacker

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2011
As far as I remember, it was a copy of a student card emailed to them. Depends on if you talk to a rep in Eire or USA though.

Also if you open up an account using the uni email online, that should be sufficient as well.

Can I ask, my bro is at university in his 3rd year which is a placement year. He has his uni email etc still but is not in uni this year so cannot order using uni campus internet without taking time of work and going to campus.

If we order over the phone what details will they need to verify he is in FE? And are apple still offering the 3 year apple warranty?

Thankyou

vash420

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2010
I'm looking to buy a Macbook Pro through my girlfriend's offline campus access. Is this remotely possible? She ordered a new MBA after the WWDC announcement, and is yet to be asked for student ID etc. All she did was log in to her existing (gmail registered) Apple ID through the uni network.

Is it that simple? :confused:

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Getting access to the 15% discount HE Store from home.

UPDATE

Want to buy your mac in the summer before starting uni? Apple makes it hard by demanding that you be on campus to log into the HE section. Someone's found a way around this.

http://www.mikewilson.cc/2010/08/18...ur-own-home-youve-got-to-be-a-student-though/

The access code worked for my university, but another one I tried was dead so YMMV.

----------

UPDATE

I have heard some disabled students have been able to get 20% VAT taken off at the Apple Store in Regent Street, by saying the equipment is needed for disability support. Presumably they were able to explain exactly why they needed the gear.

I don't know if this was on top of the 15% HE discount (!)

If you're disabled but not a student, you might be able to do this too.

r6mile

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
London, UK
I just ordered a Macbook Air from home using my UCL university discount. A few weeks ago I also ordered a Mac Mini.

To be able to order from home, just login once on your university computers, go through the whole "selecting your uni, etc." business, and copy the URL at the top. Just bookmark it at the top, and you can order using your HE discount from anywhere.

When I was an undergraduate at Sussex in 2010, I ordered a MBP from home the same way. Not once have I had to provide Student ID, or anything - not that I have a problem with that, since I actually am a student! But I can see how easily the system could be abused by non-students.

gofry

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2013
Guys,
I have read the thread and it was really really useful.
I need help in one case:
"Just make sure the Mac is shipped in the name of a student, to their address and registered by a student."
Shipped: to student: OK
Registered to student: not yet. This means that it has to be registered to the student's apple id created with university mail address (I just created one and ordered the macbook with it) or shall I use my old apple ID which I have since years? The result should be identical , or is this a dependency for the 3 years warranty?
Thanks

RESOLVED: Without setting up my mac, logged on to the self service warranty check and showed 3 years from delivery date. All fine.

Last edited:

lzfxxx

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2015
How do you think about the new terms of battery replacement? Do the HE contract covers the battery replacement for free. How many years the free battery replacement covers for HE students without buying the apple care+?

Macbook Owners
Your battery is designed to retain up to 80 per cent of its original capacity at 1,000 complete charge cycles. The one-year warranty includes replacement coverage for a defective battery. Apple offers a battery replacement service for all MacBook, MacBook Airand MacBook Pro notebooks with built-in batteries. You can purchase replacement batteries for older models of Apple notebooks directly from the Apple Store

Battery warranty information
Your Apple One Year Limited Warranty includes replacement coverage for a defective battery. If you purchased an AppleCare Protection Plan for your Mac notebook, Apple will replace the notebook battery at no charge if it retains less than 80 percent of its original capacity. If you don't have coverage, you can have the battery replaced for a fee.

MrMoonUK

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015
UK
Just got my HE purchased MBP, however on the service status page its only showing one year warranty, what gives, it should be three??

Modernape

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
Do the HE contract covers the battery replacement for free. How many years the free battery replacement covers for HE students without buying the apple care+?
Yes, the HE applecare covers the battery for 3 years. I just had mine replaced last week under applecare (and the battery is bonded to the shell/case/keyboard, so I got a new keyboard and case along with my battery).

lzfxxx

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2015
Yes, the HE applecare covers the battery for 3 years. I just had mine replaced last week under applecare (and the battery is bonded to the shell/case/keyboard, so I got a new keyboard and case along with my battery).
That's good news, coz i contacted apple online, and got a answer of no.

DoctorVictim

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2016
Does anyone know how well chargers are covered? There seems to be a difference between in-store help and online answer as highlighted by above poster.

I was told online my charger isn't covered for repair, but I've also read if you go into store with your HE AppleCare they will exchange. I've used it like normal but it's freying by the magsafe connector, had it 13 months. It's fine now but just thinking ahead really, 69 quid for a new one is steep to say the least. :)

philip456

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2008
East Anglia, England
Looks like Stonegroup deal with a different scheme, the "Supply of Apple Equipment and Services Framework Agreement" for the administration of Higher Education Institutions, not students.

There is a portal for staff of Higher Education Institutions at http://www.getyourtech.co.uk/customer/account/login/ but nothing for students.

This post should be updated to show that HE purchases with the free 3 year warranty and 15% discount are now outsourced to a distributor called Stone Group:

https://www.stonegroup.co.uk/apple-university-framework-customer-update/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.