Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Samsung is taking advantage of Apple's Australian Maps snafu, where several motorists became lost after Maps gave them the wrong directions to the city of Mildura, directing them instead to the middle of the Murray-Sunset national park.

To capitalize on Apple's mistake, Samsung released a new marketing campaign in Sydney, which was discovered by CNET Australia.

The display depicts a filthy, mud-covered white SUV alongside some camping equipment. A sign next to the car reads, "Oops, should have got a Samsung Galaxy S III. Get navigation you can trust."

maps-500x375.jpg

On Monday, Apple repaired the Mildura mapping error, and it was discovered that the source information that Apple used from the Australian Gazeteer was inaccurate, which is what led to the issue.

Google Maps came under scrutiny today as well, after a Yahoo news report stated that police in Colac were concerned that similar problems in Google's maps were putting people's lives in danger along the Great Ocean Road and in the southern Otways.

Samsung's latest stunt is one of many ads and displays that aim to paint the iPhone in a negative light, like the ad that portrayed the iPhone as uncool, depicting a Galaxy S3 owner saving a spot in one of Apple's iconic lines for his parents.

Apple and Samsung have had an ongoing feud since Apple accused Samsung of imitating its products. Most recently, Samsung was ordered to pay just over billion dollars at the conclusion of the U.S. trial, further souring the relationship between the two companies.

Article Link: Samsung Targets Apple Maps with New Promotional Display in Australia

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Thanks, Samsung. Hopefully you can get Apple Maps in gear, since us users cannot....

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Police warn of safety concerns from Google Maps

http://au.news.yahoo.com/technology...ice-warn-of-safety-concerns-from-google-maps/

Police warn of safety concerns from Google Maps

December 12, 2012, 9:00 am
ABC

Victorian police have again raised concerns about motorists relying on online maps and GPS technology.

Police in Mildura have had to conduct six rescues in recent weeks, after through the Murray Sunset National Park.

Now police in Colac, west of Melbourne, say faults with Google maps are putting people's lives at risk along the Great Ocean Road and in the southern Otways.

Sergeant Nick Buenen says trucks, buses and tourists are being directed down Wild Dog Road, which is a one-way track, not built for heavy traffic.

He says VicRoads has denied responsibility and Google Maps has not responded.

"My issue is it's a significant safety issue for tourists [and] locals, who are getting the wrong information from their GPSs," he said.

"My concern is that one day we're going to be at the coroners court [being asked] well what did you do about it.

"We're trying to do something about it, but if a 22-seater bus rolls off Wild Dog Road today, [there wouldn't be] the multi-agency response to this issue that I would like."

Whose maps come on the Galaxy S III?

Via @gruber

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
This is great! Very smart for them to take advantage of the situation.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Anyone confirm the Galaxy SIII had the, um, correct location as of a week ago?

paul55br

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2012
Google Maps had problems too...Buzz off Samsung, you're looking more childish everyday.

perealb

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2009
LOL. I'm sure now that people are more attentive, that more Google Maps mistakes will be revealed.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Shouldn't they be advertising Google Maps instead of Navigon, given that Navigon is a paid app that doesn't ship with the phone and is available on both iPhone and Android?

I guess they cared more about the check from Garmin than about having an ad that makes sense.

FooMan2011

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
As much as an apple fanboy I am I have to say I love Samsungs's never ending stab at Apple. Why? Because eventually it will pay off for us iPhone users. It'll force Tim Cook to put the right people in place to make their (our) products better for us!! I love it, don't stop. And FYI- I'm still not buying a Samsung phone... Nice try.

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
You don't think Apple is working on Maps? They haven't made that abundantly clear in plenty of statements and press releases? :rolleyes:

Not on any of the maps that anyone here has submitted as an error. I am sure they are working on it. Perhaps they are starting with locations in Madagascar.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
I hope Samsung keeps up the ads about how poor Apple Maps is because it is so true and Apple needs to learn some manners.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.