Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
I do agree that some of these are pointless and I didn't and wont do a lot, but other users may want to know and may want to do them.

I disabled TM Local Snapsnots and turned off Hibernation because I do what Jesus does and I save often.

I never leave un-saved work open, ever, so Im not worried.

Time Machine is helpful for those times when you save over something and didn't mean to do that.

bruleke

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2009
So...

... if I upgrade my 2010 Macbook Pro with a SSD, I will have to do everything?

I mean, cant I just install the new SSD and use it normally (after install OSX and apps, of course)???

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
So...

I mean, cant I just install the new SSD and use it normally (after install OSX and apps, of course)???

You don't need to do anything on here. As somebody else mentioned, there is some value to some of these tips if your focus is on freeing up some needed disk space, but doing any of this to reduce write cycles to the SSD is really not needed. While it is true there is a limited life cycle to a SSD NAND chip cell, under any kind of normal usage you are not going to hit that limit for years to come. JMO

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2011
So...

You dont have to do anything if you choose not to. More "expert" users find these useful. You can simply plug in your SSD and copy/install data over and be good to go.

----------

You don't need While it is true there is a limited life cycle to a SSD NAND chip cell, under any kind of normal usage you are not going to hit that limit for years to come. JMO

True. SSDs have advanced so much in the last few years that "write cycles" arent really relevant anymore. They will last millions of hours / years.

bruleke

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2009
You dont have to do anything if you choose not to. More "expert" users find these useful. You can simply plug in your SSD and copy/install data over and be good to go.

----------

True. SSDs have advanced so much in the last few years that "write cycles" arent really relevant anymore. They will last millions of hours / years.

Thank you very much, guys!
I have just bought a Samsung 840 256gb for my 2010 15" mbp. Good purchase?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thank you very much, guys!
I have just bought a Samsung 840 256gb for my 2010 15" mbp. Good purchase?

That is a solid choice, although perhaps not the fastest SSD around... and the great (low) price reflects that. Here is a well written review of that drive.

Unless you run synthetic benchmark tests, you are not really going to notice the speed difference with faster and more expensive drives.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2011
Really? I though I've made the best choice :(
I dont know anything about SSDs. It happens that in my country there were this model and the Vertex 4. Both the same prices.

The 840 is actually very fast, but there is faster, such as the 840 Pro. Will you notice a difference in real world tasks? Absolutely not. Dont stress it, the 840 is amazing. I highly recommend it, even over the 830.

bruleke

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2009
The 840 is actually very fast, but there is faster, such as the 840 Pro. Will you notice a difference in real world tasks? Absolutely not. Dont stress it, the 840 is amazing. I highly recommend it, even over the 830.

What a relief. I paid 325 dollars for it. In USA I'd have paid the half, so you can see why I was worried ehehe.

I am coming from a 500gb WD Scorpio Black 7,200rpm.
I barely use more than 120gb...

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Really? I though I've made the best choice :(
I dont know anything about SSDs. It happens that in my country there were this model and the Vertex 4. Both the same prices.

I am sorry. :D I did not mean to in any way imply you made a bad choice. I think you made a good choice. All I meant was the Samsung 840 (not the Samsung 840 Pro, which is a different drive) was designed intentionally by Samsung to hit a good price point and to do that they traded a little speed.

If you look at the review I linked, the Samsung 840 is a solid performer, and actually beats the Vertex 4 in some tests.

If I had to chose between the Samsung 840 and the Vertex 4, I would chose the 840 because Samsungs (chiefly the older 830) have had very good reliability/compatibility based on forum posts here. Samsung makes their own controller for use in their own SSD, so has complete control over the process and firmware, and I think that helps with reliability.

This is why OCZ bought Indilinx and now uses their controllers. Complete control over the process. The Vertex 4 uses a Indilinx controller

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2011
I am sorry. :D I did not mean to in any way imply you made a bad choice. I think you made a good choice. All I meant was the Samsung 840 (not the Samsung 840 Pro, which is a different drive) was designed intentionally by Samsung to hit a good price point and to do that they traded a little speed.

If you look at the review I linked, the Samsung 840 is a solid performer, and actually beats the Vertex 4 in some tests.

If I had to chose between the Samsung 840 and the Vertex 4, I would chose the 840 because Samsungs (chiefly the older 830) have had very good reliability/compatibility based on forum posts here. Samsung makes their own controller for use in their own SSD, so has complete control over the process and firmware, and I think that helps with reliability.

This is why OCZ bought Indilinx and now uses their controllers. Complete control over the process. The Vertex 4 uses a Indilinx controller

I really like the Vertex 4 and have it installed in two 2012 13" MBPs with no issues. Very stable and very fast with easy firmware upgrade via OS X. I would also however recommend the 840 both non-pro and Pro over the Vertex 4 as well. That's how good the Samsung SSDs are.

bruleke

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2009
:D:D:D
Now I know I made a good choice.

But I still have that feeling that I am upgrading a too old machine... almost 3 years old.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
But I still have that feeling that I am upgrading a too old machine... almost 3 years old.

Going from that platter HDD to this SSD is going to make it feel like a new machine. SSDs make a HUGE difference. You are going to love it.

bruleke

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2009
Thanks a lot. Made my day.
You have no idea how expensive Apple products are here in Brazil.
The entry Retina Macbook 15.4" cost us "only" 5,000 dollars.

jbsmithmac

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2011
I think I'll wait for you to find a permanent solution to turn off hibernation.

Thanks again for an awesome work!

I'm confused...I followed this guide since I just did my first SSD install (not all of the guide, but did do the hibernation one).

My setting keeps when I reboot. I just checked via
Code:
pmset -g
and got the following:
Code:
hibernatemode        0

Am I misunderstanding something?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland

P/E cycles were never really relevant in the consumer SSD world because bigger lithography NAND (i.e. old) had way more P/E cycles than the NAND used in today's SSDs. For example 50nm MLC NAND that was the latest and greatest a few years ago had 10,000 P/E cycles, whereas the current 20nm MLC NAND has 3,000 cycles. Sure SSDs weren't as efficient as they are now when it comes to write amplification, but wearing out an SSD has never been a concern for consumers. Enterprises are a whole new story though.

So I have a 500GB Samsung 840 SSD which uses TLC nand which has a shorter life span than MLC nand.

That said, I also have 16GB of ram and I did notice a 16GB file on my SSD.

So, using your instructions, I disabled hybernation to gain a longer life on my SSD.
I probably will only keep/use this SSD for 2-3.5 years (if that)

With all that said, do you think disabling hybernation is a good idea with 16Gb of ram and TLC SSD? Or since I dont plan on it lasting more than 5 years, will I be ok wth it on?

Whats the disadvantage of disabling hybernation?

For the drive to die in five years, you would have to write 301.2GB to it every day for five years. And that's assuming 1,000 P/E cycles which is a very conservative figure, in real world the NAND is likely good for more. So no, there isn't a problem with having hibernation enabled.

kittiyut

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
I'm confused...I followed this guide since I just did my first SSD install (not all of the guide, but did do the hibernation one).

My setting keeps when I reboot. I just checked via
Code:
pmset -g
and got the following:
Code:
hibernatemode        0

Am I misunderstanding something?

hmmm, mine is "0" too.
However, sleep image file keeps coming back after every reboot!?

jbsmithmac

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2011
hmmm, mine is "0" too.
However, sleep image file keeps coming back after every reboot!?

The actual file is there, or it just shows that in pmset -g?

In terminal it tells me the location of the sleepimage file, however when I actually navigate to where it should be...it's not there. So I'm assuming hibernate stays off...just that pmset -g shows where it would be if it was on.

kittiyut

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
The actual file is there, or it just shows that in pmset -g?

In terminal it tells me the location of the sleepimage file, however when I actually navigate to where it should be...it's not there. So I'm assuming hibernate stays off...just that pmset -g shows where it would be if it was on.

The actual file IS there. I can delete it and recover near 15GB after every reboot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.