Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:38 AM   #26
robvas
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandoech.com View Post
I do agree that some of these are pointless and I didn't and wont do a lot, but other users may want to know and may want to do them.

I disabled TM Local Snapsnots and turned off Hibernation because I do what Jesus does and I save often.

I never leave un-saved work open, ever, so Im not worried.
Time Machine is helpful for those times when you save over something and didn't mean to do that.
robvas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:16 AM   #27
bruleke
macrumors 6502

So...

... if I upgrade my 2010 Macbook Pro with a SSD, I will have to do everything?

I mean, cant I just install the new SSD and use it normally (after install OSX and apps, of course)???
bruleke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:50 AM   #28
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruleke View Post
So...

I mean, cant I just install the new SSD and use it normally (after install OSX and apps, of course)???
You don't need to do anything on here. As somebody else mentioned, there is some value to some of these tips if your focus is on freeing up some needed disk space, but doing any of this to reduce write cycles to the SSD is really not needed. While it is true there is a limited life cycle to a SSD NAND chip cell, under any kind of normal usage you are not going to hit that limit for years to come. JMO
Weaselboy is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:19 PM   #29
Orlandoech
macrumors 68030

Quote:
So...

You dont have to do anything if you choose not to. More "expert" users find these useful. You can simply plug in your SSD and copy/install data over and be good to go.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
You don't need While it is true there is a limited life cycle to a SSD NAND chip cell, under any kind of normal usage you are not going to hit that limit for years to come. JMO
True. SSDs have advanced so much in the last few years that "write cycles" arent really relevant anymore. They will last millions of hours / years.
Orlandoech is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:43 PM   #30
bruleke
macrumors 6502

Quote:
You dont have to do anything if you choose not to. More "expert" users find these useful. You can simply plug in your SSD and copy/install data over and be good to go.

----------

True. SSDs have advanced so much in the last few years that "write cycles" arent really relevant anymore. They will last millions of hours / years.
Thank you very much, guys!
I have just bought a Samsung 840 256gb for my 2010 15" mbp. Good purchase?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:59 PM   #31
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Thank you very much, guys!
I have just bought a Samsung 840 256gb for my 2010 15" mbp. Good purchase?
That is a solid choice, although perhaps not the fastest SSD around... and the great (low) price reflects that. Here is a well written review of that drive.

Unless you run synthetic benchmark tests, you are not really going to notice the speed difference with faster and more expensive drives.
Weaselboy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:37 PM   #32
bruleke
macrumors 6502

Quote:
That is a solid choice, although perhaps not the fastest SSD around... .
Really? I though I've made the best choice
I dont know anything about SSDs. It happens that in my country there were this model and the Vertex 4. Both the same prices.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:50 PM   #33
Orlandoech
macrumors 68030

Quote:
I dont know anything about SSDs. It happens that in my country there were this model and the Vertex 4. Both the same prices.
The 840 is actually very fast, but there is faster, such as the 840 Pro. Will you notice a difference in real world tasks? Absolutely not. Dont stress it, the 840 is amazing. I highly recommend it, even over the 830.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:52 PM   #34
bruleke
macrumors 6502

Quote:
The 840 is actually very fast, but there is faster, such as the 840 Pro. Will you notice a difference in real world tasks? Absolutely not. Dont stress it, the 840 is amazing. I highly recommend it, even over the 830.
What a relief. I paid 325 dollars for it. In USA I'd have paid the half, so you can see why I was worried ehehe.

I am coming from a 500gb WD Scorpio Black 7,200rpm.
I barely use more than 120gb...
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:00 PM   #35
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
I am sorry. I did not mean to in any way imply you made a bad choice. I think you made a good choice. All I meant was the Samsung 840 (not the Samsung 840 Pro, which is a different drive) was designed intentionally by Samsung to hit a good price point and to do that they traded a little speed.

If you look at the review I linked, the Samsung 840 is a solid performer, and actually beats the Vertex 4 in some tests.

If I had to chose between the Samsung 840 and the Vertex 4, I would chose the 840 because Samsungs (chiefly the older 830) have had very good reliability/compatibility based on forum posts here. Samsung makes their own controller for use in their own SSD, so has complete control over the process and firmware, and I think that helps with reliability.

This is why OCZ bought Indilinx and now uses their controllers. Complete control over the process. The Vertex 4 uses a Indilinx controller
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:04 PM   #36
Orlandoech
macrumors 68030

Quote:
I am sorry. I did not mean to in any way imply you made a bad choice. I think you made a good choice. All I meant was the Samsung 840 (not the Samsung 840 Pro, which is a different drive) was designed intentionally by Samsung to hit a good price point and to do that they traded a little speed.

If you look at the review I linked, the Samsung 840 is a solid performer, and actually beats the Vertex 4 in some tests.

If I had to chose between the Samsung 840 and the Vertex 4, I would chose the 840 because Samsungs (chiefly the older 830) have had very good reliability/compatibility based on forum posts here. Samsung makes their own controller for use in their own SSD, so has complete control over the process and firmware, and I think that helps with reliability.

This is why OCZ bought Indilinx and now uses their controllers. Complete control over the process. The Vertex 4 uses a Indilinx controller
I really like the Vertex 4 and have it installed in two 2012 13" MBPs with no issues. Very stable and very fast with easy firmware upgrade via OS X. I would also however recommend the 840 both non-pro and Pro over the Vertex 4 as well. That's how good the Samsung SSDs are.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:06 PM   #37
bruleke
macrumors 6502

Now I know I made a good choice.

But I still have that feeling that I am upgrading a too old machine... almost 3 years old.
bruleke is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:11 PM   #38
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
But I still have that feeling that I am upgrading a too old machine... almost 3 years old.
Going from that platter HDD to this SSD is going to make it feel like a new machine. SSDs make a HUGE difference. You are going to love it.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:14 PM   #39
bruleke
macrumors 6502

Thanks a lot. Made my day.
You have no idea how expensive Apple products are here in Brazil.
The entry Retina Macbook 15.4" cost us "only" 5,000 dollars.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:19 PM   #40
Justinhub2003
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Justinhub2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittiyut View Post
BTW, how do you make this sleep hibernation stay off permanently so I don't have to input the command every time I restart?
Wait So I have to turn it off every time I reboot?

Gah. I mean i dont reboot that often yea, Id like to turn it off forever
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:30 PM   #41
Orlandoech
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinhub2003 View Post
Wait So I have to turn it off every time I reboot?

Gah. I mean i dont reboot that often yea, Id like to turn it off forever

Ill look into this, for the time being I have found this app; http://www.jinx.de/SmartSleep.html
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:50 PM   #42
rhett7660
macrumors 604

Most excellent, thank you for putting this together.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:57 AM   #43
Orlandoech
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett7660 View Post
Most excellent, thank you for putting this together.
You're welcome!
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:54 PM   #44
kittiyut
macrumors regular

Quote:
Ill look into this, for the time being I have found this app; http://www.jinx.de/SmartSleep.html
I think I'll wait for you to find a permanent solution to turn off hibernation.

Thanks again for an awesome work!
kittiyut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:22 PM   #45
jbsmithmac
macrumors regular

Quote:
I think I'll wait for you to find a permanent solution to turn off hibernation.

Thanks again for an awesome work!
I'm confused...I followed this guide since I just did my first SSD install (not all of the guide, but did do the hibernation one).

My setting keeps when I reboot. I just checked via
Code:
pmset -g
and got the following:
Code:
hibernatemode        0
Am I misunderstanding something?
jbsmithmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:49 PM   #46
Hellhammer

Send a message via MSN to Hellhammer
Quote:
P/E cycles were never really relevant in the consumer SSD world because bigger lithography NAND (i.e. old) had way more P/E cycles than the NAND used in today's SSDs. For example 50nm MLC NAND that was the latest and greatest a few years ago had 10,000 P/E cycles, whereas the current 20nm MLC NAND has 3,000 cycles. Sure SSDs weren't as efficient as they are now when it comes to write amplification, but wearing out an SSD has never been a concern for consumers. Enterprises are a whole new story though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinhub2003 View Post
So I have a 500GB Samsung 840 SSD which uses TLC nand which has a shorter life span than MLC nand.

That said, I also have 16GB of ram and I did notice a 16GB file on my SSD.

So, using your instructions, I disabled hybernation to gain a longer life on my SSD.
I probably will only keep/use this SSD for 2-3.5 years (if that)

With all that said, do you think disabling hybernation is a good idea with 16Gb of ram and TLC SSD? Or since I dont plan on it lasting more than 5 years, will I be ok wth it on?

Whats the disadvantage of disabling hybernation?
For the drive to die in five years, you would have to write 301.2GB to it every day for five years. And that's assuming 1,000 P/E cycles which is a very conservative figure, in real world the NAND is likely good for more. So no, there isn't a problem with having hibernation enabled.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:30 PM   #47
kittiyut
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsmithmac View Post
I'm confused...I followed this guide since I just did my first SSD install (not all of the guide, but did do the hibernation one).

My setting keeps when I reboot. I just checked via
Code:
pmset -g
and got the following:
Code:
hibernatemode        0
Am I misunderstanding something?
hmmm, mine is "0" too.
However, sleep image file keeps coming back after every reboot!?
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:33 PM   #48
jbsmithmac
macrumors regular

Quote:
hmmm, mine is "0" too.
However, sleep image file keeps coming back after every reboot!?
The actual file is there, or it just shows that in pmset -g?

In terminal it tells me the location of the sleepimage file, however when I actually navigate to where it should be...it's not there. So I'm assuming hibernate stays off...just that pmset -g shows where it would be if it was on.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:53 AM   #49
kittiyut
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsmithmac View Post
The actual file is there, or it just shows that in pmset -g?

In terminal it tells me the location of the sleepimage file, however when I actually navigate to where it should be...it's not there. So I'm assuming hibernate stays off...just that pmset -g shows where it would be if it was on.
The actual file IS there. I can delete it and recover near 15GB after every reboot.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:06 AM   #50
jbsmithmac
macrumors regular

Quote:
The actual file IS there. I can delete it and recover near 15GB after every reboot.
Interesting. I'm not sure why that would happen.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro