Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
What a great idea...Apple could make a super thin iMac by putting the hard drive, logic board, ram, ect in a separate enclosure that you could put underneath your desk. No need to have an external optical drive cluttering your desk either, it could be included in the separate enclosure.

That would be call a Mac Mini :rolleyes:

Taluner

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2008
Northern California
I wonder how long it will take. Mine shipped UPS and shows this:

Anchorage, AK, United States 12/11/2012 9:10 P.M. Departure Scan
Shanghai, China 12/12/2012 5:12 A.M. Departure Scan
Shanghai, China 12/11/2012 12:45 P.M. Export Scan
Shanghai, China 12/10/2012 10:50 P.M. Departure Scan
12/10/2012 6:41 P.M. Origin Scan
China 12/10/2012 7:23 A.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS

Shows delivery Monday! Damn I wish it were Friday! Customs will probably take forever!!! LOL

I'm in the same exact boat as you. I wish I paid extra for faster shipping, I mean, what's $30 when you're spending $2600... #firstworldproblems :cool:

noahc

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2005

Shows delivery Monday! Damn I wish it were Friday! Customs will probably take forever!!! LOL

According to a poster on another thread who has a relative who works at UPS, apparently these are actually sitting in Louisville waiting for UPS to process them into the system -- they might get to it today/tonight in which case I think there is a decent chance of Friday delivery. However its also possible that it could wait until any day until Saturday before they're processed.

BeejayUK

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2012
Surrey Hills
27" UK iMac order

I didn't order mine until about 30 minutes after Apple Store UK began taking details.

I see it says Preparing for Shipment and delivery date is quoted as 27th-28th December.

Will it arrive sooner?

How many days after the Preparing for Shipment notice does it usually take for the Shipped email to appear?

Hands Sandon

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2008
They need more pixels. The MBPR has more pixels than the Thunderbolt display...

That's because Apple were able to add a lot more pixels and make a display they call "retina". The iPad went the same way. They just kept adding and adding pixels until they maxed out. Once you get to this level of pixel density they become too small to be seen by the human eye, robots do all the work though.

How they do it, I'm really not sure, but it seems that these small iPads and laptops can handle them, and bigger devices, like the 27" iMac, are still a few years away, even for Apple, because they're just so big. The odd thing here is that it's easier to make a really small pixel smaller than a small, but bigger, pixel smaller. We all like to think that all this technology is straight forward and follows logical conclusions that we're accustomed to, but in reality it doesn't. If anyone can reduce the larger pixels, especially those in the 27" iMac, you can be sure Apple will get them onto their iMac's as soon as they can.

Last edited:

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
That's because Apple were able to add a lot more pixels and make a display they call "retina". The iPad went the same way. They just kept adding and adding pixels until they maxed out. Once you get to this level of pixel density they become too small to be seen by the human eye, robots do all the work though.

How they do it, I'm really not sure, but it seems that these small iPads and laptops can handle them, and bigger devices, like the 27" iMac, are still a few years away, even for Apple, because they're just so big. The odd thing here is that it's easier to make a really small pixel smaller than a small, but bigger, pixel smaller.

I don't see how this is the cause. I'm not asking for a retina Thunderbolt display, just one that has more pixels than it currently does. It doesn't make sense for Apple's biggest display to have less pixels than some of the smaller displays. If Apple can make a retina 13" screen, they can certainly make a 27" screen with more pixels than they have now.

By the way, it's better to have a 27" magnifying glass aimed at a retina MBP screen than it is to have a 27" Apple display.

Hands Sandon

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2008
I don't see how this is the cause. I'm not asking for a retina Thunderbolt display, just one that has more pixels than it currently does. It doesn't make sense for Apple's biggest display to have less pixels than some of the smaller displays. If Apple can make a retina 13" screen, they can certainly make a 27" screen with more pixels than they have now.

By the way, it's better to have a 27" magnifying glass aimed at a retina MBP screen than it is to have a 27" Apple display.

I couldn't agree more about how important "retina" has become, but I think Apple knows this too. I'd certainly welcome more pixels. A x1.5 would have sufficed, instead of the x2 we've been seeing. I would have thought they would find it so much easier with a 27" screen than a 15". These are crazy times.

wondermoose

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012
Shipment Notification

Ordered November 30 around 10am CST. Original delivery estimate of December 24-30. Current delivery estimate is December 20! One day to enjoy it before the apocalypse!

srEyo.png

aaggmm

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2011

and step 26 :eek:
The glass and LCD are now fused together, and there are no more magnets holding the glass in place. That means it's heatgun time!

Most replaceable components (like the RAM) are buried behind the logic board, meaning you'll have to take apart most of the iMac just to gain access to them.

Budget-minded folks can no longer add a second hard drive to the base iMac unless they are super-fond of soldering missing proprietary connectors onto the logic board.

You'll have to masterfully peel off the old double-sided sticky tape and apply new tape in order to reseal this iMac into original condition.

NorthApple

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2012

Interesting. Looks like mine is the only one reported here being shipped by FedEx instead of UPS. Left Shanghai 12/12/12 and is projected for Monday delivery. (Ironically it is probably right now at the FedEx transport facility located just 3 miles from my house but will require heading on to a customs clearance location thousands of miles further and then being sent back on a plane.)

bmclemons

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2007
San Francisco, Caifornia
Interesting. Looks like mine is the only one reported here being shipped by FedEx instead of UPS. Left Shanghai 12/12/12 and is projected for Monday delivery. (Ironically it is probably right now at the FedEx transport facility located just 3 miles from my house but will require heading on to a customs clearance location thousands of miles further and then being sent back on a plane.)

Did you pay for the extra shipping or the standard shipping?

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
You can see the slim shape from the front. No need to stand to the side or behind (which are common angles to see—but not use—a computer anyway).

To see the slim shape from the front, simply stand up :) The top shows it just as well as the sides.

Doesn’t matter to everyone, but a desktop computer is a big piece o’ houseware, like a TV or a stool or a lamp or a set of dishes. The way it looks matters—from all angles, and even when not in use.

Where my current iMac is sat, on a desk, in my study, there is no easy way, short of sitting on a desk or window ledge to see it from a side, and from above, well, id have to take the shelving off the wall that holds my books , so its the same formfactor, for all real purposes, as the last iMac to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.