Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 29, 2009
Really really want to buy a MacBook Air with my tax return, should I wait or just buy in a couple months? When is next refresh expected and what is expected?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Really really want to buy a MacBook Air with my tax return, should I wait or just buy in a couple months? When is next refresh expected and what is expected?

Nobody knows when the new MBA show up, last revision was June, the next one would almost be sure to have Haswell inside but knowing Intel it will be another 5-6 months or so before they come available.

msjones

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2007
Nottinghamshire, UK
If its the right time for you to buy, buy. Either way you'll still end up with a beast of a machine. Been running my base 2012 MBA 11" for 2 months now and its the best machine I've ever owned.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009

If you can wait. Wait. If you can't wait and need one now, buy one now. Only you know.

knarzie

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2008
You can always play this game, it's so much fun!

If you buy now, there might be a slight/silent update in feb/march. Or there won't and you buy then, only to see it updated in June. Or you hold out until June, buy this time you can't wait any loner, buy either way to then see a complete redesign and new processor generation in October just in time for the holiday season. On you wait until then and become a guinea pig for the beta version of the next generation of MBAs. Or you wait that one out as well and buy in feb 2014, when all initial issues of new generation have been addressed. Finally, the PERFECT TIME to buy an MBA. Honest, buy in 17 months. Or now. Depends on your needs. See where his is going?

DrumApple

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
I'm in the same boat- really want an Air but feel like it's too dated. Can't believe Apple let the Air fall behind the competition like this. There are other ultrabooks that blow away the air right now, especially the screen.

I think I'm going to wait... :(

1member1

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2012
After 2 years i waited for a mac computer I decided to get one in couple of weeks (Air 13, i7, 8GB).
Until this year i felt that the air is not cabple of doing things like a normal laptop and it's only good for carrying around device.
this year with ivy bridge and 500 mbps ssds the air can do a good job vs the top laptops (not gaming ones ofcourse).

I dont think that in the next upgrade you will see some dramtic changes and i'm sure it will be capable to run the next OS from apple.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
If its a month or two you can wait, else just buy what you can get and for what you need NOW.

Later on, who knows you might not even need an MBA as your priorities change or you just don't feel like you need one.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
Sounds like it's a want vs. need at this point. Wait until the next update to buy. If the new features underwhelm, you can pick up the current model at a discount from the refurb bin.

wolfpuppies3

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2012
Virginia, USA
Bank the tax return. Earn the .2% interest for the latest 2017 version to be released. That one is sure to be nicer than the current version. Or, consider waiting to 2025.

yourtoys7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007
I got one now 2 months old, probably resell when new comes out, I want one, but don't need one till school starts next sept.

sostoobad

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2011
Boston
why wait ? there is ALWAYS going to be a new one down the road. Me i specifically got last yrs 11" at the 699 closeout, its great for what I want it to do. Iplan on using and will take a look at the 2013s when they come out.

The resell is strong on the air and you get to use it, then you can sell it as a 1 owner well kept machine,assuming you keep it clean. I just picked up a 2007 15" Macbook Pro, it is fine, very fast and solid. Just wanted to try a pro witout bucksing up for new..so far I like it. So dive into the pond and enjoy the water.

Lekaks

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2008
Ok, here's what you do. Buy the Air today either i7 or i5 with 256 HD and 8 RAM. (I have the i7 and love it)

Purchase it on an Apple credit card with no interest for 12 months. Take your cash and buy Apple stock. Enjoy the Air and wait for the new version to hit next summer. When the new version becomes available sell your stock and cover your credit card debt. Then dump your old Air to cover the cost of the new one. The probable bump on the stock should cover the discount on the sale of the used Air.

Yes, there is risk with AAPL going down from here, but who cares? Your exposure is minimal and tell me how much fun it would be to have your Air now and the ungraded Air later with Apple paying you for the difference. I would bet you unwind from this deal to have Apple pay for Apple Care on the second machine.

Ok, so today AAPL is at $539.00 Let's see where she's at when the Haswell Airs hit the streets, whenever that is... Good luck.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
Ok, here's what you do. Buy the Air today either i7 or i5 with 256 HD and 8 RAM. (I have the i7 and love it)

Purchase it on an Apple credit card with no interest for 12 months. Take your cash and buy Apple stock. Enjoy the Air and wait for the new version to hit next summer. When the new version becomes available sell your stock and cover your credit card debt. Then dump your old Air to cover the cost of the new one. The probable bump on the stock should cover the discount on the sale of the used Air.

Yes, there is risk with AAPL going down from here, but who cares? Your exposure is minimal and tell me how much fun it would be to have your Air now and the ungraded Air later with Apple paying you for the difference. I would bet you unwind from this deal to have Apple pay for Apple Care on the second machine.

Ok, so today AAPL is at $539.00 Let's see where she's at when the Haswell Airs hit the streets, whenever that is... Good luck.

^
Pretty savvy advice. Bet you don't trade in your machine though because it will blow you away. Have had the 13" 2011 since launch day and it's the best laptop I ever owned. The screen is awesome. Whatever the retina apologists may say...and remember, once you go SSD, you never go back so may make your desktop feel like a washing machine by comparison

Jaypi

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012
Los Angeles
I have a MacBookAir 2012 and it's the best device I have ever owned! Seriously I love this device.

The new MacBook Air will maybe have a better display (Retina), but in my opinion it won't release in the next 4-6months .. It's a long time, so don't wait and buy it!

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
I could wait another month but that's it, if the release is coming in June that would be far too long for me. My old laptop wasn't going to cut it for another two quarters of school. But if you don't have any rush to get one I don't see the big deal in waiting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.