Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:52 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Matrox Launches DS1 Thunderbolt Docking Station for $249

For over a year, third-party manufacturers have been showing off prototypes and making announcements regarding Thunderbolt docking stations, accessories that would allow users to connect a variety of peripherals to a hub that would then connect to their Mac with a single Thunderbolt cable. Apple offers such functionality as part of its $999 Apple Thunderbolt Display, but many users have been looking for similar hub functionality that does not require also purchasing a large display.

Matrox is one of the manufacturers that has been working on a Thunderbolt docking stations, having announced its $249 DS1 hub back in June. At the time, the product was scheduled to launch in September of this year, but the company later pushed back the launch to December as it decided to roll out separate models for DVI and HDMI monitor compatibility.

Matrox will be announcing tomorrow that the DS1 docking station is now available for sale in the Americas at a price of $249, with worldwide availability set for next month. The DS1 contains a Gigabit Ethernet port, two USB 2.0 ports, audio in/out jacks and either an HDMI or DVI port on the rear of the device, with a combination USB 3.0/2.0 port and the Thunderbolt port for connection to the user's machine on the front.

We chatted a bit with product manager Charles Amyot about the development of DS1, in particular asking why it has taken over a year and a half to bring a Thunderbolt docking station to market. The issue is not unique to Matrox, as Belkin and other manufacturers have also been working to launch their products but have yet to begin shipping.

Amyot noted that there were a number of hurdles that needed to be overcome throughout the development process, due in large part to Thunderbolt being a new standard with little in the way of support available yet. Matrox worked closely with both Apple and Intel on the development of the DS1, but ensuring a good user experience with proper drivers and other features of the device turned out to be a time-consuming process. Amyot also noted that Matrox is the first company to deliver USB 3.0 connectivity over Thunderbolt, a step that required a significant amount of work.

Thunderbolt remains in its infancy, and many users have been frustrated with what feels like a slow pace of adoption. Until recently, Thunderbolt accessories have primarily been limited to expensive professional devices such as RAID storage arrays and PCI Expansion expansion chassis. Only in recent months have consumer-level products begun integrating Thunderbolt on a widespread basis, but even then many of them such as hard drives can only make maximum use of Thunderbolt when equipped with expensive solid-state storage.

Regardless, as Apple continues to slim down its Macs and eliminate such features as Ethernet ports, docking stations like the DS1 that offer a single-cable connection for a variety of peripherals are likely to become increasingly popular with users seeking simple expansion solutions.

Article Link: Matrox Launches DS1 Thunderbolt Docking Station for $249
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:55 PM   #2
SimonTheSoundMa
macrumors 6502a

I'll give this a miss. Over priced and misses IO such as eSATA, Thunderbolt pass-thru, and Firewire.
SimonTheSoundMa is offline   31 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:55 PM   #3
ECUpirate44
Banned

All this thunderbolt i/o is still too expensive.
ECUpirate44 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:57 PM   #4
92jlee
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to 92jlee
What is the point in this product?

All macs (apart from air) have built in LAN, USB, display out and in/out audio.. Whats the point? If you need more USB plugs get one of those splitters/extentions etc..
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:57 PM   #5
DTF
macrumors member

Basically I just replicated my ports on my MacBook Pro for $249; and downgraded my USB ports to 2.0. I don't see this selling much.
DTF is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:58 PM   #6
Yvan256
macrumors 601

From the photos, it looks like the design is excellent. It seems to be anodized aluminium with the same surface finish as my unibody Mac mini.

However, the price is high for my taste and I can't understand why there's only two USB ports in the back. For this price I would have expected at least one FireWire 800 port and six USB 3.0 ports in the back plus one USB 3.0 port in the front. The fact that you also need to choose between DVI and HDMI is a bit weird IMHO.
Yvan256 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:59 PM   #7
wikus
Banned

How many years has it been since Thunderbolt was announced and launched?

These prices are outrageous. Thunderbolt is a total failure.
wikus is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 03:59 PM   #8
NutsNGum
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92jlee View Post
What is the point in this product?

All macs (apart from air) have built in LAN, USB, display out and in/out audio.. Whats the point? If you need more USB plugs get one of those splitters/extentions etc..
No ethernet on the Retina MacBooks. But there is a £20 converter, which I'd still buy over this.
NutsNGum is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:00 PM   #9
Pianoblack3
macrumors regular

Thunderbolt is like the Blu-Ray of cables… in more ways than one.
Pianoblack3 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:01 PM   #10
applesith
macrumors 68000

Thunderbolt is too expensive to compete with USB 3. Yes it's faster, but who can afford to by all the cables and devices for it?
applesith is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:01 PM   #11
jrlcopy
macrumors 6502

Where's Belkin's, that was supposed to have firewire connections also.
http://www.belkin.com/us/thunderbolt

Shame none of them have esata also, that would have been a slam dunk then.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:02 PM   #12
Stella
macrumors 603

Hhhhmmmm ... USB3.. unfortunately its expensive just for USB3 compatibility.

My 2011 Macbook feels crippled with just USB2.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:03 PM   #13
dukebound85
macrumors P6

i want to be able to daisy chain so it needs (what I would want)

*throughput thunderbolt
*why not just usb 3 at this point? 3-4 ports would be great
*ethernet is nice
*dual video out would be great
*audio in out is nice
dukebound85 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:03 PM   #14
Camali
macrumors newbie

Don't forget Belkin has removed the eSATA connection, plus the USB 3.0 ports are limited to 2.5gbps and not the full 5gbps USB 3.0 delivers - WITH NO price change. For that I can just replace my 17" Macbook Pro with a Mac mini! for slight a little more.
Camali is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:04 PM   #15
dBeats
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTheSoundMa View Post
I'll give this a miss. Over priced and misses IO such as eSATA, Thunderbolt pass-thru, and Firewire.
You put this docking station as the last part of a thunderbolt daisy chain...
dBeats is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:04 PM   #16
willcapellaro
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikus View Post
How many years has it been since Thunderbolt was announced and launched?

These prices are outrageous. Thunderbolt is a total failure.
Which is a failure - the port or the standard? People use the port all the time. The protocol just hasn't caught on yet, but it's not like there are unused ports just wasting board and device space.
willcapellaro is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:04 PM   #17
Arcady
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Arcady
This is a fail.

There needs to be a FireWire 800 port. There needs to be USB 3 on the back (or on all ports.) There really needs to be a Thunderbolt passthru port. I have an Apple LED Cinema Display that uses Mini DisplayPort, so I can't even hook up this thing without a passthru port.

And why are they putting the lone Thunderbolt port on the front? For a device that is supposed to eliminate cable clutter, I don't think they understand that I don't want a cable running out the front of the thing and across my desk.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:05 PM   #18
willcapellaro
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNGum View Post
No ethernet on the Retina MacBooks. But there is a £20 converter, which I'd still buy over this.
Yeah, it would kill me to have to choose between screen real estate and connecting to a landed network. Thunderbolt Display is an expensive solution to this problem.
willcapellaro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:06 PM   #19
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God

Why separate models for HDMI and DVI when a simple adapter plug would do the trick. Why no mini Display Port? Why only two USB ports on the back when adding more - if only via an internal hub - would have made this product much more useful. Why only one USB 3.0 port? And why, in god's name, is the Thunderbolt port on the front of the unit?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:06 PM   #20
AppliedMicro
macrumors 6502a

1x USB3.0 Nice to have. Esp. for a fast yet inexpensive external HD.
2x USB: completely adequate for HID, scanners, printers and the like.

But single-link DVI-D (1920 x 1200 @ 60 fps maximum resolution)?

Pass.
AppliedMicro is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:06 PM   #21
SeattleMoose
macrumors 6502a

Another TB Miss

No FW 400/FW 800 for backward compatibility? There are a TON of FW peripherals out there. No sale here....another TB disappointment. When is TB gonna actually go mainstream? Geez, it has been years now since it was introduced....
SeattleMoose is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:11 PM   #22
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Still too much $$$ for essentially a HUB, albeit a sophisticated one.
macs4nw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:13 PM   #23
phoenixsan
macrumors 65816

Good news, indeed.....!

More and more Thunderbolt consumer peripherals can speed up adoption of the standard and maybe drive down the prices.

Hubs can be handy/helpful in a variety of situations, I know for experience

Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:13 PM   #24
wikus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by willcapellaro View Post
Which is a failure - the port or the standard? People use the port all the time. The protocol just hasn't caught on yet, but it's not like there are unused ports just wasting board and device space.
The technology behind thunderbolt is fine. Its Apple being stupid again, just like with Firewire and just like with all their other overpriced proprietary crap and how they executed the implementation of it.

2 years in, and I've still yet to see ONE SINGLE thunderbolt product on a store shelf.
wikus is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:15 PM   #25
Xenomorph
macrumors 6502a

It looks terrible, but I'd get it right now if my system supported Thunderbolt.

Every day I place my MacBook Pro on my desk at work and plug in the mouse, the monitor, Ethernet cable, other USB accessories, etc.

Wearing out an Ethernet port is serious business. They have to replace the entire motherboard for that.
Xenomorph is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion