Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:45 AM   #26
dcorban
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosspath View Post
Entangle spell effect slooooowed the game on my iPad2. I' guessing this will be a problem in larger combat with other area effect spells.
Interesting. This was a verified problem with Baldur's Gate II on the PC when using OpenGL mode. All spells with transparencies and area effects dropped the framerate significantly. Maybe they are using a port of the BG2 OpenGL engine.
__________________
The Americans can always be trusted to do the right thing, once all other possibilities have been exhausted.
dcorban is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:17 PM   #27
arcite
macrumors 6502a
 
arcite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
FYI, since BG:EE has been out for the PC the devs have already released no less than 4 patches for it. They say the first iPad patch will be out in about a week (whenever App store approves it), and it will incorporate all the fixes, including fixing some of the interface annoyances.
__________________
Late 2010 13' Macbook Pro ---- iPad 3
arcite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:45 PM   #28
Renzatic
macrumors 604
 
Renzatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Who puts the washers in the woods?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorban View Post
Interesting. This was a verified problem with Baldur's Gate II on the PC when using OpenGL mode. All spells with transparencies and area effects dropped the framerate significantly. Maybe they are using a port of the BG2 OpenGL engine.
They are...sortakinda. They used the BG2 ToB engine as their base, but rewrote the underlying OGL renderer and and everything else they could modernize from scratch. The spell slowdowns shouldn't have anything to do with issues from the original games, even if they do seem related at first glance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcite
FYI, since BG:EE has been out for the PC the devs have already released no less than 4 patches for it. They say the first iPad patch will be out in about a week (whenever App store approves it), and it will incorporate all the fixes, including fixing some of the interface annoyances.
Good deal, specially on that last bit. The game is pretty decent as it is now, but a few extra bits here and there would make for a smoother experience. The biggest changes I'm hoping for are a few feedback effects, bigger hit boxes around loot and dropped objects, and give us a way to highlight doors, stairs, and transition spots. They fix these issues, and BG will play just as smooth with a touchscreen as it does with a mouse and keyboard.
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:43 PM   #29
mfulton
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
This was a great game... 14 years ago when it first came out. In 1998.

The new iPad game is probably pretty decent, going by the trailer, but if I want to feel nostalgic, I'll install the PC version and play it again before I'll pay $10.00 to play it on the iPad.

$5.00 is pretty much the cut-off point for a iPad game, as far as I'm concerned. I don't mind paying more for an application I'm going to use over and over, but most games get played a few times over a few weeks, and then they're mostly forgotten.
mfulton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:56 PM   #30
Snowshiro
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Found it a bit annoying so far. The tutorial really poorly thought through. It often says stuff like "touch the spell button, then do this" without giving any indication which button that is - which makes you wonder what the point of a TUTORIAL is. Some of them have fairly cryptic icons on them and it's not obvious what they do at first. I found it overall to be more confusing than helpful. It smacks of being written by someone who knows the game inside out and hasn't really bothered to consider what someone coming to it new might NOT know.

Also the touch precision and responsiveness is some of the worst I've ever seen in a game. Sometimes it fails to respond at all to a quick tap, and sometimes the cursor doesn't appear where you think it will when you tap.

On the other hand, the graphics don't look as bad as I expected, and it's a generally enjoyable story, so if they can fix the UI a bit, it should be worth a try.
Snowshiro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:09 AM   #31
iCole
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowshiro View Post
Found it a bit annoying so far. The tutorial really poorly thought through. It often says stuff like "touch the spell button, then do this" without giving any indication which button that is - which makes you wonder what the point of a TUTORIAL is. Some of them have fairly cryptic icons on them and it's not obvious what they do at first. I found it overall to be more confusing than helpful. It smacks of being written by someone who knows the game inside out and hasn't really bothered to consider what someone coming to it new might NOT know.

Also the touch precision and responsiveness is some of the worst I've ever seen in a game. Sometimes it fails to respond at all to a quick tap, and sometimes the cursor doesn't appear where you think it will when you tap.

On the other hand, the graphics don't look as bad as I expected, and it's a generally enjoyable story, so if they can fix the UI a bit, it should be worth a try.
Exactly my thoughts. I never played Baldur's Gate so i'm totally oblivious to what all those buttons mean. Give me some guidance goddammit. Also, it's to easy to accidentally scroll around the screen if you just want to tap something. Very annoying. I'll try to get as far as possible (because the game does look good) but I'll rather try it again on the mac
iCole is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:04 AM   #32
splitthebiscuit
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
Little update for anyone planning on buying this.

Boo is bugged. He doesn't squeak in response to the things Minsc says, and clicking on him in his inventory crashes the game without fail.

HOW COULD YOU BUG BOO BEAMDOG?
Boo never squeaked in response to Minsc's outcries in BG1, you're thinking of BG2. The game crashing when clicking on him seems to be a bug though.
splitthebiscuit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:09 PM   #33
MattA
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Orlando, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfulton View Post
This was a great game... 14 years ago when it first came out. In 1998.
Sometimes the oldest morsels are the tastiest. :P

It was a great game then and it's a great game now.
__________________
Mac Mini (2011) i7 / Mac Mini (Early 2009)
Powermac G5 1.6 w/Radeon 9800 Pro (Sold!)
iBook G4 1.33Ghz (replaced a dead G3)
Many iPods + iPhone 5S + iPad2
MattA is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition' Now Available for iPad MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 22 Jan 17, 2014 02:08 PM
OS-neutral: Baldur's Gate II Enhanced, Nov. 15 Solomani Mac and PC Games 5 Sep 9, 2013 03:35 AM
'Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition' Returns to App Store Following Contractual Dispute MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 13 Aug 16, 2013 01:35 PM
OS X: Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition is now on Mac App Store! Dirtyharry50 Mac and PC Games 2 Apr 2, 2013 01:50 PM
OS-neutral: how do you expect Baldur's gate (enhanced version for iPad) to be? nbnbxdnb Mac and PC Games 5 Nov 10, 2012 09:16 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:36 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC