Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:17 PM   #1
Iamjoshlee
macrumors member

To those who own an iPad Mini and a Macbook

I currently own a Macbook Pro. I have some money to spend and am having deciding whether I want to spend on an iPad Mini or a new camera (NEX-5N). I love the idea of having something portable that I can get some news digest an reading in but I am also wanting to get in to photography. But that is besides the point.

What I am wanting to know is for those also who own a macbook, which do you find yourself using more? Would you say it it worth it to get a Mini if you already got yourself a laptop?
Iamjoshlee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:28 PM   #2
Kaylee Frye
macrumors newbie

Very different purposes in my opinion. My Macbook Pro stays home unless I'm going out of town for a couple of days. My iPhone is always with me no matter what, my iPad mini comes with me now most times.

It's the perfect size and weight to carry around in my purse. If I want to read, it's better than reading off the Macbook screen. Plus, I prefer the iOS skin for Google Reader over the desktop version anyway. iBooks is great and so is the Kindle app.
Kaylee Frye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:21 PM   #3
D1G1T4L
macrumors 65816

My mini is for quick consumption or videos on the couch or bed. My mbp is for when I need to get work done.
D1G1T4L is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:21 PM   #4
nehope
macrumors member

I have a rMBP, an iPad 3, and an iPad mini. They all serve different purposes, although if Apple ever does a retina screen on the mini, the iPad 3 is history. Anyway, the laptop and mini are too different to think there would be any crossover in purpose. My laptop is used extensively at work - I keep it there unless I'm going to be gone for a while. The iPads are all I really use at home for media consumption, browsing, games, etc.
nehope is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:22 PM   #5
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a

If photography is your biggest concern, definitely invest in the camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehope View Post
I have a rMBP, an iPad 3, and an iPad mini. They all serve different purposes, although if Apple ever does a retina screen on the mini, the iPad 3 is history. Anyway, the laptop and mini are too different to think there would be any crossover in purpose. My laptop is used extensively at work - I keep it there unless I'm going to be gone for a while. The iPads are all I really use at home for media consumption, browsing, games, etc.
iPad 3 and iPad mini serve the same exact purpose -- only one provides a little bit more portability than the other.
iPhone |4S White/16GB/ iOS 7.0|3G White/16GB iOS 4.2.1
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:42 PM   #6
nehope
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard OSX View Post
If photography is your biggest concern, definitely invest in the camera.

iPad 3 and iPad mini serve the same exact purpose -- only one provides a little bit more portability than the other.
They don't for me.
nehope is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:57 PM   #7
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehope View Post
They don't for me.
That's like saying iPod classic serves a different function than the iPod nano -- which it doesn't because they're both MP3 players.

It's not subjective, it's objective. The iPad and iPad mini are portable computers that run on the same OS with the same features, functions, applications, and capabilities... They serve the same purpose.

Now, one could argue that an iPod touch and an iPod classic DO NOT serve the same purpose, because one is a computer with mp3 capabilities while the other is a pure MP3 player..

But to argue that the iPad 3 and the iPad mini serve entirely different purposes is kind of silly. Perhaps what you meant is that you use each device for different things?
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:03 PM   #8
Chip NoVaMac
macrumors G3

Tough choice between the two for you....

I already have some great cameras. And have rMBP and a new mini that will replace my iPad 2 I think...

As a avid traveler I take the rMBP when I know that I want the power to do full edits of my pics when on the road. On all trips the iPad is with me as a web browser, and the mini will be a great addition to the camera bag....
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:24 PM   #9
Namtaro
macrumors regular

When I had an iPad 3, I would bring it instead of my Macbook Pro if I knew in class I wouldn't need it, but it was either bring the iPad 2 or Macbook Pro, not both. Now that I got an iPad Mini, I'll bring it along with the Macbook Pro even if I don't need it since it's so light!

I even bring the iPad Mini when going out now since it so light that I don't notice it in my bag.

I still have the iPad 3 for home. The screen is fantastic for browsing the web and watching youtube videos while on the couch, but lately I've been using my iPad Mini more and more at home since it's much lighter. If the iPad Mini gets a retina screen next year, out goes the full iPad 3!
Namtaro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:49 PM   #10
throAU
macrumors 68030

Get the camera.

You can consume content on your macbook.

the iPad makes a crappy camera.

edit:
I find myself using the ipad (4, not a mini, but same thing essentially) when i'm not at a desk, but its only because i own it. if i wanted to get into photography i could easily make do without and get a camera instead.
throAU is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:56 PM   #11
calibrad
macrumors member

macbook at home/work

mini everywhere...

ipad vs mini

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...d-you-buy.html
calibrad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:57 PM   #12
syd430

If you want to get in to photography get an entry level DSLR, not a Nex-5
  1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:17 PM   #13
thelead
macrumors 6502

Quote:
That's like saying iPod classic serves a different function than the iPod nano -- which it doesn't because they're both MP3 players.

It's not subjective, it's objective. The iPad and iPad mini are portable computers that run on the same OS with the same features, functions, applications, and capabilities... They serve the same purpose.

Now, one could argue that an iPod touch and an iPod classic DO NOT serve the same purpose, because one is a computer with mp3 capabilities while the other is a pure MP3 player..

But to argue that the iPad 3 and the iPad mini serve entirely different purposes is kind of silly. Perhaps what you meant is that you use each device for different things?
Eh. I go jogging with my nano and wouldn't with an iPod classic. I would take an ipad mini places where I most likely wouldn't take the larger ipad, so they do technically serve different purposes. Portability should factor into the equation regardless of the redundancy in features.
thelead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:17 PM   #14
urkel
macrumors 68010

Take away my iPad and I'm sad. Take away my MacBook and I'm screwed.

I use the iPad more but I feel the MacBook is more essential.
urkel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:45 PM   #15
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

I own both, and a Nikon. And I agree with everyone here, a camera and iPad are two different things.

I also agree that you should go with an entry level DSLR, and maybe even an older model. It's not an expensive hobby, but if you're going to buy the latest and greatest, it will be. Used camera gear is so much more worthwhile than spending $200 on a lens.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:27 PM   #16
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namtaro View Post
When I had an iPad 3, I would bring it instead of my Macbook Pro if I knew in class I wouldn't need it, but it was either bring the iPad 2 or Macbook Pro, not both. Now that I got an iPad Mini, I'll bring it along with the Macbook Pro even if I don't need it since it's so light!

I even bring the iPad Mini when going out now since it so light that I don't notice it in my bag.

I still have the iPad 3 for home. The screen is fantastic for browsing the web and watching youtube videos while on the couch, but lately I've been using my iPad Mini more and more at home since it's much lighter. If the iPad Mini gets a retina screen next year, out goes the full iPad 3!

I'm confused... if a retina display iPad mini comes out next year, you'll get rid of your iPad 3, but keep your non-retina display iPad mini and a retina display mini - leaving you with two iPad minis?

Also, if you have a laptop, don't you think you would be better off selling your iPad 3? If your iPad 3 would be a "home only" device, why not replace that and use your MBP instead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelead View Post
Eh. I go jogging with my nano and wouldn't with an iPod classic. I would take an ipad mini places where I most likely wouldn't take the larger ipad, so they do technically serve different purposes. Portability should factor into the equation regardless of the redundancy in features.
Unless you use your iPad nano for something other than listening to music, then you can't really claim that they serve different purposes. Do you do different things while listening to the music? Sure, but they still serve the same purpose - that being playing music.
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:42 PM   #17
Namtaro
macrumors regular

Quote:
I'm confused... if a retina display iPad mini comes out next year, you'll get rid of your iPad 3, but keep your non-retina display iPad mini and a retina display mini - leaving you with two iPad minis?

Also, if you have a laptop, don't you think you would be better off selling your iPad 3? If your iPad 3 would be a "home only" device, why not replace that and use your MBP instead?
Regular iPad Mini would obviously go along with the iPad 3 if a retina iPad Mini were to come out.

Laying on the couch with an iPad for light browsing is much better than holding a Macbook Pro awkwardly.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:51 PM   #18
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Regular iPad Mini would obviously go along with the iPad 3 if a retina iPad Mini were to come out.

Laying on the couch with an iPad for light browsing is much better than holding a Macbook Pro awkwardly.
Uh... okay? MBPs aren't exactly the bulkiest things around, and not very hard to carry around -- even the 17''... but to each his own, I suppose.
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:21 PM   #19
jk4lebron23
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Uh... okay? MBPs aren't exactly the bulkiest things around, and not very hard to carry around -- even the 17''... but to each his own, I suppose.
Go lay on your couch and try to hold your MBP and then pick up your iPad and see which one is easier...it's so much easier to hold an iPad laying down
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:23 PM   #20
Namtaro
macrumors regular

Quote:
Would you put a Macbook Pro on your chest while laying down on a couch or hold an iPad instead?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:42 PM   #21
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk4lebron23 View Post
Go lay on your couch and try to hold your MBP and then pick up your iPad and see which one is easier...it's so much easier to hold an iPad laying down
Yeah, but most people aren't willing to dish out an extra 600+ dollars for an iPad solely based on the fact that you can pick it up a little bit easier than an already-light laptop while on the couch -- they invest in iPads for intraday/travel portability. If your iPad is a "home only" device, you're better off sticking with an iPad mini (for travel) and a MBP (for home) as opposed to a MBP, iPad mini, and an iPad.

Quote:
Would you put a Macbook Pro on your chest while laying down on a couch or hold an iPad instead?
They're called laptops for a reason, not chesttops And yes, I own a 17 inch screen laptop and have no trouble laying down on the couch or bed to watch a movie on it whenever I feel like it -- because I don't weigh 10 pounds, I guess the weight has never been a huge issue for me, rofl.
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:36 PM   #22
Dunlop122
macrumors newbie

Talking

One thing to consider when you're getting into photography is how you plan to present your photos. Being an amateur photographer, people love to see my photos presented on my iPad 3 with retina. The iPad 3/4 screen size and retina quality are perfect for showing off your work. I initially used an Ipad 2 for this purpose, and saw a marked improvement going with the retina. Not a HUGE difference, but a difference nonetheless. Taking this difference into consideration along with the screen size of the mini, I would take a serious look at the iPad 3/4 if you plan on showing off your photos with a tablet.

If your budget only allows for a camera or tablet, I would buy an entry level DSLR, and save up for the tablet. I warn you though, camera lenses are a legal drug, and as addictive.
Dunlop122 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:20 PM   #23
richy d
macrumors member

For me they are totally different devices for totally different purposes.

i.e I use my macbook for things such as creating music, running a Virtual machine for some pc programs, word processing, spreadsheet work etc

The mini I use for web browsing and apps etc.. basically more of a media consumption device that is portable enough for me to take anywhere.. I also use it for reading (e.g kindle app).
richy d is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:22 PM   #24
maflynn

Since we're talking about two devices that are completely different - what need is more present. A tablet or camera.

Personally, I'd go with the camera, but then I enjoy photography.
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:58 PM   #25
Lunchb0x8
macrumors 6502a

Take it from a guy who carries a MBA, iPad Mini, DSLR and a whole bunch of other gear every day.

Get a camera, you can always get an iPad later, and besides, the NEX-5N is awesome, if I wasn't so intent on a DSLR, I would have gotten one, the dslrgearnoidea channel on youtube is awesome.

If I had to choose between an iPad and a kicka$$ camera, I would get the camera first, purely because then you can justify the ipad as a means of showing your photo collection to family and friends.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad