Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:37 PM   #1
furam90
macrumors regular

Wow, Windows 8 puts iOS to shame

Just got a Lenovo Ideapad Yoga and let me just say after getting the hang of Windows 8, it absolutely puts iOS to shame, it feels like I've finally joined the 21st century.

Windows 8 is much more fluid to the touch, everything is integrated perfectly, and the customization is so much better. In comparison, iOS is stale, lacking in fluidity, and feels like a cage garden. Never knew what I was missing until now- its shocking.

Once Windows 8 gets more apps they will be a big force; apple better step up its game.
furam90 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:40 PM   #2
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816

I agree the Windows 8 Metro interface is much better than anything Apple puts out but the ships have sailed and Microsoft is too late to the game.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:04 PM   #3
zbarvian
macrumors 68000

Windows 8 better than iOS? Seems like an unfair comparison. One's a desktop, and one's a mobile operating system. And fluidity has always been a strong point in iOS, so that's curious.
zbarvian is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:09 PM   #4
balamw

I played with the Yoga 13 at BestBuy and found it too big for what I want (to replace my 2008 MacBook).

Waiting to see the ARM based Yoga 11. That might actually be an interesting box for me.

As zbarvian suggests comparing an Intel based box to an ARM one is a bit of a stretch. The Yoga 13 with its i3 is closer to a Macbook Air and is quite a bit heavier than the 13" MBA.

EDIT: FWIW I have a desktop running Win 8 Pro and find it quite usable. Unfortunately after the upgrade I can't rip or play audio CDs with my BD-ROM drive with any app. Annoying. Going to try a clean install at Christmas.

B

Last edited by balamw; Dec 12, 2012 at 05:16 PM.
balamw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:15 PM   #5
furam90
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbarvian View Post
Windows 8 better than iOS? Seems like an unfair comparison. One's a desktop, and one's a mobile operating system. And fluidity has always been a strong point in iOS, so that's curious.
Maybe I should've elaborated a bit: the Metro UI aspect of Windows 8 is much better than iOS. iOS isn't really that fluid for example, in metro i can swipe from the left and it takes me to the previous page in IE, close the program, tab? just swipe from the top.

Notifications are much more streamlined and previewed on the live tiles, as opposed to iOS where all you get is a stupid red number over the icon. I can customize what size I want the tiles, what they show and so forth. In iOS i can't do any of that.
furam90 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:18 PM   #6
mankar4
macrumors 6502a

Agreed, the os is much better, but the apps are MUCH WORSE. So much worse. I have a windows phone and its beautiful until I try to do anything other than email.
mankar4 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:31 PM   #7
zbarvian
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by furam90 View Post
Maybe I should've elaborated a bit: the Metro UI aspect of Windows 8 is much better than iOS. iOS isn't really that fluid for example, in metro i can swipe from the left and it takes me to the previous page in IE, close the program, tab? just swipe from the top.

Notifications are much more streamlined and previewed on the live tiles, as opposed to iOS where all you get is a stupid red number over the icon. I can customize what size I want the tiles, what they show and so forth. In iOS i can't do any of that.
Ah, that makes sense now. Yes I will agree it is easily a better tablet OS than iOS. Really slick with the gestures and interaction. Neat UI.
zbarvian is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:43 PM   #8
MuffCabbage
macrumors regular

Quote:

Agreed. Win8 still has some growing to do, but its pretty fluid for sure. Love the edge gestures on tablets.
MuffCabbage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:55 PM   #9
roxxette
Banned

Windows 8 on tablet looks really good, ive been pondering the idea to get one (so much things to get lol) but my ipad 2 still does what i need and the battery remains perfect.

These is a really good video that shows many aspects of both OS.

Last edited by roxxette; Dec 12, 2012 at 05:58 PM. Reason: video
roxxette is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:16 PM   #10
sviato
macrumors 68000

Can it be used in portrait mode? I feel like some (most websites) would be better viewed that way.

Also the swipe gestures you mentioned have been on OSX for a while, which is what Windows 8 is actually competing against as iOS is a mobile OS. If you're saying it should compete against the iPad then I disagree, I think they're different markets.

Since Apple is trying to unify iOS and OSX maybe we'll see something better in the future from their side.
sviato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:53 PM   #11
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

Windows 8 is great, but I am still waiting to see what happens with RT versus x86. RT seems like it is going to just... die.

That said, if you are looking for integration between your phone and tablet, iOS is STILL the better system. If not, WP8 reins supreme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sviato View Post
Can it be used in portrait mode? I feel like some (most websites) would be better viewed that way.
Websites can, certain apps can, but the OS UI (Metro) can not, currently.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:26 PM   #12
Technarchy
macrumors 601

I'll stick with iOS for tablet computing.

I've been on Windows 8 Pro for awhile now, almost daily, and it didn't take long for Window-isms to appear. I like Windows 8 quite a bit, but the Windows 8 experience has given me no reason to want to replace my iPad, or dissuaded me from getting an Apple desktop or laptop in the near future to replace my current Windows Box.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:32 PM   #13
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Windows 8 looks like a regression to me with all the cluttered live tiles. I'm better off and more comfortable with Windows 7.

AND YES, I do know you can switch to the desktop interface in Windows 8, but there's no point in doing that.

Just my 2 cents.
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:36 PM   #14
Vegastouch
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by balamw View Post
I played with the Yoga 13 at BestBuy and found it too big for what I want (to replace my 2008 MacBook).

Waiting to see the ARM based Yoga 11. That might actually be an interesting box for me.

As zbarvian suggests comparing an Intel based box to an ARM one is a bit of a stretch. The Yoga 13 with its i3 is closer to a Macbook Air and is quite a bit heavier than the 13" MBA.

EDIT: FWIW I have a desktop running Win 8 Pro and find it quite usable. Unfortunately after the upgrade I can't rip or play audio CDs with my BD-ROM drive with any app. Annoying. Going to try a clean install at Christmas.

B
The Yoga at Best Buy is a i5. Its hardly too big IMO. Same size as my MacBook. Ill get one someday but when it isnt $999. Im sure there will be a price drop in some months to come.
Vegastouch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:02 PM   #15
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegastouch View Post
The Yoga at Best Buy is a i5. Its hardly too big IMO. Same size as my MacBook. Ill get one someday but when it isnt $999. Im sure there will be a price drop in some months to come.
Interesting that Lenovo direct's $999 model is only an i3. Makes it even worse a comparison with an iPad.

It's about half a pound heavier than the MBA 13" and a full pound heavier than the 11" MBA, and feels quite a bit thicker, even though it really isn't.

B
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:13 PM   #16
Vegastouch
macrumors 601

Quote:
Interesting that Lenovo direct's $999 model is only an i3. Makes it even worse a comparison with an iPad.

It's about half a pound heavier than the MBA 13" and a full pound heavier than the 11" MBA, and feels quite a bit thicker, even though it really isn't.

B
It is an exclusive to Best Buy so they are selling it for $999 and at first advertised it for $200 off. I guess they are keeping that price but still too much for me.
I think the Yoga feels thin but I don't have a Mac Air and i do think those are flimsy feeling. I never had an interest in the Mac Air because of that.

Last edited by Vegastouch; Dec 12, 2012 at 11:05 PM.
Vegastouch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:25 PM   #17
roxxette
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegastouch View Post
It is an exclusive to Best Buy so they are selling it for $999 and at first advertised it for $200 off. Guys they are keeping that price but still too much for me.
I think it feels thin but I don't have a Air and i do think those are flimsy feeling. I never had an interest in the Mac Air.
teardrop mba are solid.
roxxette is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:51 PM   #18
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxette View Post
teardrop mba are solid.
Like the iPad, solid without the heft. I love my MBA 13". The iPhone 5 is the first Apple product in a while that may go too far in that direction for me. It just feels too light. Still solid, but I preferred the iPhone 4/4S weight in my hand.

B
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:10 PM   #19
b166er
macrumors 68020

I had a lumia 920 for a couple weeks and I really miss it. I think Windows phone 8 is awesome, but there were just a few crucial things missing and that's why I couldn't make the switch.

Some apps I really do need are just not there yet. The google presence beyond gmail is non existent. The browser always went to the desktop version of the site (yes I had "go to mobile" selected in my settings).

I really miss the live tiles, the "me" tile, the way notifications worked, and I really miss how skype was handled VS any other platform I've used.

If a few apps I need become available I would probably ditch my iPhone for good. But if not, It looks like I might go android once my upgrade comes. Plenty of time for WP8 developers to put out some quality stuff though so we'll see.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:29 PM   #20
roxxette
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by b166er View Post
I had a lumia 920 for a couple weeks and I really miss it. I think Windows phone 8 is awesome, but there were just a few crucial things missing and that's why I couldn't make the switch.

Some apps I really do need are just not there yet. The google presence beyond gmail is non existent. The browser always went to the desktop version of the site (yes I had "go to mobile" selected in my settings).

I really miss the live tiles, the "me" tile, the way notifications worked, and I really miss how skype was handled VS any other platform I've used.

If a few apps I need become available I would probably ditch my iPhone for good. But if not, It looks like I might go android once my upgrade comes. Plenty of time for WP8 developers to put out some quality stuff though so we'll see.
I was really really interested in the lumia 920 but for some reason all the hype banished, i want to explore windows phone 8 in the future to have a clear mind.
roxxette is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:30 PM   #21
furam90
macrumors regular

Quote:

B
Naw, the 999 model which I bought has an i5, not i3.
furam90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:36 AM   #22
balamw

Quote:
Naw, the 999 model which I bought has an i5, not i3.
Yeah we know the Best Buy model is i5/$999.

B
balamw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:05 AM   #23
Sedrick
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Just got a Lenovo Ideapad Yoga and let me just say after getting the hang of Windows 8, it absolutely puts iOS to shame, it feels like I've finally joined the 21st century.

Windows 8 is much more fluid to the touch, everything is integrated perfectly, and the customization is so much better. In comparison, iOS is stale, lacking in fluidity, and feels like a cage garden. Never knew what I was missing until now- its shocking.

Once Windows 8 gets more apps they will be a big force; apple better step up its game.
Here's something to think about: It's actually a genius move by MS if it pays off. If you have Windows 8 desktop (and most everyone will), you already now how to use Windows 8 Phone. You will gravitate towards it naturally.

Metro is truely a new, useful and exiting new OS. Something that the 5+ year old iOS can't claim.

I was only mildly interested in W8 phone, but now that I have W8 desktop (and really like it), it will be a natural progression to go Windows 8 Phone.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:36 AM   #24
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

I am shocked anyone likes windows 8. I feel like it will go the way of vista....maybe on a tablet it is good, but with a desktop metro is useless.
mattopotamus is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:38 AM   #25
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
I am shocked anyone likes windows 8. I feel like it will go the way of vista....maybe on a tablet it is good, but with a desktop metro is useless.
FWIW I have W8 on my desktop and use it similarly to how I use Dashboard on OS X. In fact it's kind of like Dashboard+Launchpad(which I don't use).

B

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices