Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage15.png
U.S. Senator Claire McCaskill (D-MO) has sent a letter to the head of the Federal Aviation Administration saying the flying public is "growing increasingly skeptical" of prohibitions on the use of electronic devices like tablets and computers during the beginning and end of flights.

The senator notes the "absurdity of the current situation" since the FAA has recently approved the use of iPads to replace paper flight manuals. She promises that she is "prepared to pursue legislative solutions" if the FAA is too slow to act.
As you surely know, the public is growing increasingly skeptical of prohibitions on the use of many electronic devices during the full duration of a flight, while at the same time using such devices in increasing numbers. For example, a traveler can read a paper copy of a newspaper throughout a flight, but is prohibited from reading the same newspaper for major portions of the flight when reading it on an e-reader. The fear of devices that operate on electricity is dated, at best. Importantly, such anachronistic policies undermine the public's confidence in the FAA, thereby increasing the likelihood that rules of real consequence will be given too little respect. The absurdity of the current situation was highlighted when the FAA acted earlier this year to allow tablet computers to replace paper flight manuals in the cockpit, further enhancing the public's skepticism about the current regulations.

While safety and security must be the top priority in air travel, the FAA and other federal agencies should also work to ensure air travel is as hassle free as possible by revising or removing regulations that have become unnecessary or outdated. It is my hope that the FAA will work, with the FCC and other federal agencies where appropriate, as expeditiously as possible to implement common sense changes to today's restrictive regulations on in-flight use of PEDs that better reflect new technologies and the changing role these devices play in Americans' daily lives. While the agency can and should use existing authorities to allow for the broader use of PEDs, I am prepared to pursue legislative solutions should progress be made too slowly.
Earlier this year, the FAA said it was taking a "fresh look" at the use of digital devices during takeoff and landing, though no changes in policy have been announced.

Article Link: U.S. Senator Promising Legislative Action Allowing In-Air Use of Electronic Devices if FAA Doesn't Act

onigami

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2008
And I hope it doesn't pass committee.

Seriously, I don't get why we have to have our laptops/tablets/etc. on at all times. Are we that desperate for a fix?

MultiMediaWill

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2010
Minneapolis
As a private pilot myself, I encourage the use of electronic devices because according the the FAR (91.21) the pilot in command is allowed to veto any restrictions on electronic devices if I determine it is not a hazard (which it is not).

(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, no person may operate, nor may any operator or pilot in command of an aircraft allow the operation of, any portable electronic device on any of the following U.S.-registered civil aircraft:

(1) Aircraft operated by a holder of an air carrier operating certificate or an operating certificate; or

(2) Any other aircraft while it is operated under IFR.

(b) Paragraph (a) of this section does not apply to—

(1) Portable voice recorders;

(2) Hearing aids;

(3) Heart pacemakers;

(4) Electric shavers; or

(5) Any other portable electronic device that the operator of the aircraft has determined will not cause interference with the navigation or communication system of the aircraft on which it is to be used.

(c) In the case of an aircraft operated by a holder of an air carrier operating certificate or an operating certificate, the determination required by paragraph (b)(5) of this section shall be made by that operator of the aircraft on which the particular device is to be used. In the case of other aircraft, the determination may be made by the pilot in command or other operator of the aircraft.

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK

Seriously, I don't get why we have to have our laptops/tablets/etc. on at all times. Are we that desperate for a fix?

Who said people have them on all the time? Perhaps somebody will want to use a device as a pass time, like on a flight....

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
First congress is against PEDs, now they're for them?!!?!? :D

I've never understood the argument that an electronic device is a safety risk during takeoff. Assuming the wireless radios are off, how is reading something on a Kindle or iPad any different than reading a newspaper or book as many often do from a safety standpoint?

I concur that antiquated rules need to be looked at. I'm not sure that legal action by a Senator is required. You'd think they have more important things to worry about right now, you know, like the financial future of the country.

:rolleyes:

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO

If someone's screaming brat is sitting in the seat behind me and won't shut up (which seems to happen to me every time I fly) you're damn right I want to have my headphones in with music blasting. Even if the law limits you to only listening to Yoko Ono or Bjork during takeoff or landing, it would be an improvement.

I've never understood the argument that an electronic device is a safety risk during takeoff. Assuming the wireless radios are off, how is reading something on a Kindle or iPad any different than reading a newspaper or book as many often do from a safety standpoint?

I concur that antiquated rules need to be looked at. I'm not sure that legal action by a Senator is required. You'd think they have more important things to worry about right now, you know, like the financial future of the country.

The idea is they don't want whatever's not properly stowed flying around the cabin in an emergency. But unrestrained lap babies are apparently okay. 5 ounce phone projectile - bad. 10 pound baby projectile - not a problem! I propose allowing electronics and requiring all infants being stowed in the overhead bins during takeoff and landing.

onigami

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2008
Who said people have them on all the time? Perhaps somebody will want to use a device as a pass time, like on a flight....

This is about turning it off during take-off and landing. Passing time during a flight, that's fine. But if you need on the entire duration of the flight, and you cannot handle being without it for the 30 or so minutes that take-off and landing take up, something's wrong with you.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
The concern should not be the electronic devices themselves, but instead the headphones blaring music preventing passengers from hearing emergency instructions (most likely to happen during takeoff and landing).

Also, I don't want to deal with the idiots having conversations on their phones while I'm trapped with them on a plane. They can already Skype or FaceTime if there is wifi on the plane...with wifi becoming ubiquitous (even on smaller planes) I'm worried I'll never be able to escape these people.

onigami

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2008
If someone's screaming brat is sitting in the seat behind me and won't shut up (which seems to happen to me every time I fly) you're damn right I want to have my headphones in with music blasting. Even if the law limits you to only listening to Yoko Ono or Bjork during takeoff or landing, it would be an improvement.

Why don't you do something about the screaming brat yourself, then?

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK

Or terrorism, fighting poverty, curing cancer and greenhouse gasses!!! Jesus why do these people bother with anything else? :rolleyes:

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
This is about turning it off during take-off and landing. Passing time during a flight, that's fine. But if you need on the entire duration of the flight, and you cannot handle being without it for the 30 or so minutes that take-off and landing take up, something's wrong with you.

Huh?

burnside

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
why do YOU want them off?

Exactly. That is what the senator is saying. If they give me a good enough reason why it is imperative that the devices are off, then fine. Til then, I'd rather leave my devices on and not read Skymall.

aleksivic

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2006
New York, NY
Im a regular traveller and not once have I ever switched any of my devices to airplane mode when asked to.

Finally somebody has the balls to act!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.