Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Dec 5, 2012, 07:36 AM   #51
Rocketman
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolspot18 View Post
Something is wrong with your USB drive.

A USB 2.0 hard drive should be able to transfer at 20 - 30MB/s... 25GB should only take ~30 minutes.

Were you transferring a lot of small files? If so, Thunderbolt won't help since random I/O is a bottleneck for mechanical drives.
Maybe one of the two ends or the hub was USB1.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 08:03 AM   #52
iRCL
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles:) View Post
They are. Linus Torvalds predicts they'll be going the way of the tape drive shortly.
Whether that's accurate or not, who cares what he says, Linus Torvalds is a complete idiot. He's like Steve Jobs if Jobs was constantly wrong. Linus even staunchly advocates monolithic kernel architectures even to this day.. ridiculous

If you want to find one person's tech opinions that don't matter, it's going to be his

And I don't think it's accurate at all, HDDs will be around for quite a while. If you want to find something going the way of the tape drive, it's optical discs
iRCL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:53 PM   #53
g4cube
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacek83 View Post
Ohhhhh, d2, the worst external disc that I ever owned (loud, freezes the system all the time). I'm never buying Lacie again.
When it went bad, why didn't you return it for warranty repair?
g4cube is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:56 PM   #54
Laird Knox
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
Did a 25 GB file transfer yesterday on what I presume was USB2 and it took 7 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolspot18 View Post
Something is wrong with your USB drive.

A USB 2.0 hard drive should be able to transfer at 20 - 30MB/s... 25GB should only take ~30 minutes.

Were you transferring a lot of small files? If so, Thunderbolt won't help since random I/O is a bottleneck for mechanical drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
Maybe one of the two ends or the hub was USB1.
That sounds likely.

Quote:
Performance comparison: Transfer of 25GB HD movie:

USB 1.1: 9.3 hours

USB 2.0: 13.9 minutes

USB 3.0: 70 seconds
source

I routinely transfer that amount of data (36MP RAW + JPG images). If it took hours I would have given up long ago. I've since updated my card reader to USB 3.0 and love it.
Laird Knox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 08:07 PM   #55
mawyatt
macrumors member

Does anyone know if the new LaCie Thunderbolt HD has dual drives to support RAID 0 and 1?

Thanks,
mawyatt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 06:17 PM   #56
FireWire2
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawyatt View Post
Does anyone know if the new LaCie Thunderbolt HD has dual drives to support RAID 0 and 1?

Thanks,
But here is the Hardware RAID5 with TB/eSATA and USB3.0, pretty darn fast

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...F8&me=&seller=
FireWire2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 03:24 AM   #57
Marx55
macrumors 6502a

Bring also an option with two Thunderbolt ports besides USB 3. Thanks.
Marx55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 07:45 PM   #58
g4cube
macrumors 6502a

The new LaCie d2 drive with Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 is a single 7200 RPM drive; either 3TB or 4TB capacity.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:43 PM   #59
inscrewtable
macrumors 6502a

I don't 'get' external enclosed DT drives, isn't it better to just put 'internal' drives into a docking station? No fan noise, no heat issues, and easy to use different drives, slow quiet ones for back up, faster ones for other stuff. And if the dock goes belly up just get a new one and you're good to go none of this wondering if it's the enclosure or the drive

I'll never go back.
inscrewtable is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:27 PM   #60
theSeb
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawyatt View Post

Thanks,
There is a different LaCie product that is exactly what you're looking for.

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/H8...e?fnode=5f&p=1

I have one.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:28 PM   #61
mawyatt
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSeb View Post
There is a different LaCie product that is exactly what you're looking for.

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/H8...e?fnode=5f&p=1

I have one.
Thanks. I now have 2 of the LaCie 2Big 4T Thunderbolt drives. I got the first one a couple months ago as a refurb from MacMall, was so delighted with it I tried to order another but they were out of the refurbs and didn't know if they would get anymore. I didn't want to spend $600 for a new drive, the refurbs are $300, so started looking at other options.

Now MacMall has the refurbs back in stock and I ordered another. I checked the internal drives they all are Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm with 2/2012 date codes. These are very fast drives in RAID 0 configuration.
mawyatt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:34 AM   #62
Acamerainjapan
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by inscrewtable View Post
I don't 'get' external enclosed DT drives, isn't it better to just put 'internal' drives into a docking station? No fan noise, no heat issues, and easy to use different drives, slow quiet ones for back up, faster ones for other stuff. And if the dock goes belly up just get a new one and you're good to go none of this wondering if it's the enclosure or the drive

I'll never go back.
This.

For anyone that moves a lot of files ( I do video), this is the way to go.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:23 AM   #63
inscrewtable
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acamerainjapan View Post
This.

For anyone that moves a lot of files ( I do video), this is the way to go.
Why would a drive in a d2 be faster than a drive in a thunderbolt dock? Like the seagate dock, which would not be cheaper with the added HDD but it would be more versatile and it has two TB ports as well.

edit added link to video.

Last edited by inscrewtable; Dec 14, 2012 at 03:44 AM.
inscrewtable is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:24 PM   #64
MacSince1990
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by termite View Post
Yes, flash memory will overtake hard drives. Here's why: flash memory roughly follows Moore's Law. Disk drives don't. So while disk density is increasing, flash density is increasing *much* faster. Follow the math, and you will realize that at some point within ten years, flash will be cheaper, larger, and faster than spinning rust.
You, sir, are a moron.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:01 PM   #65
barokt
macrumors newbie

Lacie d2 Thunderbolt uses which brand HD inside WD or Seagate i really wondering that i couldn't find any source who knows that kind of information.
barokt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:53 PM   #66
g4cube
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by barokt View Post
Lacie d2 Thunderbolt uses which brand HD inside WD or Seagate i really wondering that i couldn't find any source who knows that kind of information.
As LaCie is almost owned entirely by Seagate, you will likely find a Seagate 3.5" drive inside. Before the acquisition by Seagate, LaCie used Hitachi and Seagate mostly, and stopped using WD drives quite some time ago.

The current d2 uses Seagate 7200 RPM drives. At least in the one I have here. The specs also call out 7200 RPM drives.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion