Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:40 AM   #1
Spikeywan
macrumors 6502

Do I need to cover anything?

I should be taking delivery of my new 15" rMBP tomorrow.

I believe that the case is solid aluminium? I read the thread about not using palm covers on it, and it started me wondering whether I need to put a cover on anything? Surely the metal case will be pretty hard wearing?

Is it wise to put some sort of soft cloth over the keyboard when you close it?

I may have other questions about what may need protecting, but at the moment they're unknown unknowns, so any pointers would be welcome.
Spikeywan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:51 AM   #2
wabbit42
macrumors regular

No. Look at the second sticky in the MBP forum.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:55 AM   #3
Spikeywan
macrumors 6502

That's why I asked. I don't understand why you'd even need a palm guard on an aluminium case.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:15 AM   #4
wabbit42
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikeywan View Post
That's why I asked. I don't understand why you'd even need a palm guard on an aluminium case.
Some people find them sharp.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:57 AM   #5
ROLLTIDE1
macrumors 6502a

I would cover the computer with a skin cause they are pretty fragile when it comes to dings
ROLLTIDE1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:59 AM   #6
skysoul
macrumors newbie

make sure u have those super slim keyboard cover and a laptop cooler..
U may wan to buy speck case to protect it from scratches and dings.
skysoul is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:01 AM   #7
iMacC2D
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysoul View Post
make sure u have those super slim keyboard cover and a laptop cooler..
U may wan to buy speck case to protect it from scratches and dings.
Had nothing but issues with Speck cases. They trap dust, dirt and other debris in between the plastic shell and the aluminum case. Before long it looks like the MacBook Pro has been attacked with sandpaper. The machine would actually have been better off without the case. I had my case fitted for a relatively short amount of time (about 3 days) before I removed it to inspect and clean it, and in that short time I found that dust intrusion had already begun. I don't buy the theory that periodic cleaning will prevent this as it occurs way too quickly for most users to catch. The Speck cases simply don't have a very good seal around the machine edges.

Finally, my Speck case cracked where it locks in at the back due to a poor casting of the plastic. I had 2 refunded as defective for the same issue. I'd avoid them at all costs.
iMacC2D is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:04 AM   #8
yusukeaoki
macrumors 68030

My right palm rest started show some wear.
The black spots show under the aluminum since I put my hand there all the time.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMacC2D View Post
Had nothing but issues with Speck cases. They trap dust, dirt and other debris in between the plastic shell and the aluminum case. Before long it looks like the MacBook Pro has been attacked with sandpaper. The machine would actually have been better off without the case. I had my case fitted for a relatively short amount of time (about 3 days) before I removed it to inspect and clean it, and in that short time I found that dust intrusion had already begun. I don't buy the theory that periodic cleaning will prevent this as it occurs way too quickly for most users to catch. The Speck cases simply don't have a very good seal around the machine edges.

Finally, my Speck case cracked where it locks in at the back due to a poor casting of the plastic. I had 2 refunded as defective for the same issue. I'd avoid them at all costs.
I guess it depends on where you live.
I had my spec case from back in the days and a year on my 2011 model.
Nothing but protecting my Mac.
No scratches, just clean it out once 3~4 months and you are fine.
In fact is saved it from hitting doors by accident, dropping things, etc etc.
yusukeaoki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:10 AM   #9
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Don't bother. If you're going to carry it around, buy a nice zip up case, but don't bother with any full body cases. The machine is not designed to be covered up. Practice some good hygiene, wash your hands, and don't eat or drink near it, and the MBP will give you no trouble.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:52 AM   #10
snaky69
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit42 View Post
They've been machines to be a bit rounder, I have both a 2011 and 2012 mbp in front of me and the difference is very easy to see to the naked eye.
iPhone 4S, 32GB, Black
snaky69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:57 AM   #11
Spikeywan
macrumors 6502

Cool, thanks. That's my usual style.

I have an Oakley padded case thingy that I used for my Vaio, so I'm hoping it'll fit in that.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:35 PM   #12
iMacC2D
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by yusukeaoki View Post
I guess it depends on where you live.
I had my spec case from back in the days and a year on my 2011 model.
Nothing but protecting my Mac.
No scratches, just clean it out once 3~4 months and you are fine.
In fact is saved it from hitting doors by accident, dropping things, etc etc.
I don't think where the user lives is really a factor. Perhaps where the machine travels, and what bags it travels in, but the primary issue was the case didn't correctly fit the machine. It took an excessive amount of force to lock the case in at the rear corners, and even once it was fitted there was a large bow in the bottom portion of the case, leaving a 2mm open gap at the rear vent for contaminants to enter the case.

I ended up sampling three cases, two from one supplier and one from another, and all of them had the same issue. Speck knew nothing about it, which I wasn't convinced was true, considering I then proceeded to see another one of these cases the very next day on a clients machine that exhibited exactly the same issue. Over the span of two weeks the case developed stress fractures around the clips at the rear of the case, the same clips that I suspected would break due to the excessive stress placed on them from the improper casting.

I just don't think the Quality Control is entirely there. I ended up sampling an equivalent case manufactured by Standard Technical Merchandise (STM) which didn't exhibit the same issues, and was padded with an internal micro-suede lining that was designed to prevent debris from scratching the case. Overall it felt much stronger yet was a fraction lighter than the Speck case.

I can't recommend Speck's cases based on those factors.

After that fiasco, I opted for the method Jessica outlined above. I purchased an STM Jacket 13" (likely soon to be replaced with an STM Alley 13") and a microfiber cleaning kit, which has kept the machine in top condition. I may add an STM Grip case to it eventually, but only because the machine will be used on-site quite often and it adds an extra level of protection in those instances.

Last edited by iMacC2D; Dec 12, 2012 at 06:42 PM.
iMacC2D is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:38 PM   #13
Haifisch
macrumors regular

I just picked up a keyboard cover, made by KB. Fits pretty good. Doesn't lift off the keys when opening up the laptop. I like to leave the lid open so dust accumulates.
Haifisch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:42 PM   #14
ajanini
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haifisch View Post
I just picked up a keyboard cover, made by KB. Fits pretty good. Doesn't lift off the keys when opening up the laptop. I like to leave the lid open so dust accumulates.
Yeah. I use a keyboard cover as well. I find mi fingers tend to damage the plastic in most keyboards over time and I didn't want this to happen to such an awesome computer.
ajanini is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro