Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rudigern

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2010
Respectfully, you are basing this on what, your own experience? Apple maps has shown some very real probalems around the globe, none of which are as severe on Google Maps. How do I know? Well, millions of people use Google Maps (Navigation on Android) and I am not reading about any such complaints.

My anecdotal evidence in Boston, MA: Apple maps has routed me to the wrong place five times and dialed a residential number where it was supposed to dial a business. This has never happened on my Android devices (although my Lumia 920 is just as bad, in different ways).

Respectfully, Every issue that has been complained about with Apple maps I have personally experienced with Google Maps. I no longer use the navigation because I've been sent down too many dirt roads / private roads to trust it again.

Google Maps has been around a very long time in tech terms so they have had a lot of time to get things right and if it ever doesn't, hey it's in beta (don't think it is anymore but Google have a history of keeping public products in beta for a very long time).

The hate on Apple Maps is 90% tall poppy syndrome. People who don't like Apple (or know Apple) have a holier than thou view of Apple (somewhat justified I agree) and love to see them fail.

mastertang

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2012
IF Google gives us turn-by-turn now it would be solely because Apple forced their hand to actually produce something equitable to their own solution for their own Droid phones. I will not download this app solely based on Google's douche-baggery. Had Apple done nothing we would STILL be waiting for TBT directions from this ad based, personal information selling, company we call Google.

cire1244

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Listen, Apple's Maps APP ITSELF is FAR FAR superior to the previous maps app. The navigation style is top notch, the way you can visualize directions, it's integration with yelp reviews, pictures, hours, etc is awesome. But the data of the maps itself sucks, and the way it searches for things suck. Countless times have I typed in the name of a city or restaurant and gotten a hit for some random place in Europe or Asia. Directions suck too, as it's instructed me to take freeway exits that simply don't exist.

Google's maps will solve the problems of poor data and searchability, but it will not have all the features that Apple's maps app does (we think). I'll probably use a hybrid of both apps, but am still hoping that Apple can solve their maps data issue - if/when they do, it will be far and away the best maps app.

blahblah100

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2009
I'm really surprised that Apple is allowing this release even if their own Apple Maps app is very flawed. The worse thing you could do is put a polished Google Maps app next to the problematic Apple Maps. I think if they really wanted to compete against Google they should have just stood their ground and forced users to use their Maps.

I'm really surprised that Microsoft is allowing this release even if their own Internet Explorer app is very flawed. The worse thing you could do is put a polished Netscape next to the problematic Microsoft Internet Explorer. I think if they really wanted to compete against Netscape they should have just stood their ground and forced users to use Internet Explorer.

:rolleyes:

hakime

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2008
Absolutely not.

Google Maps is simply a more mature product.

It's far from perfect, but years of improvements have gone into it.

Google is MUCH faster than Apple at getting POIs updated if you reported a problem.

The problems with Apple Maps are clearly down to a half baked product being touted as the best thing ever.

Bla, bla, bla, .... Yes of course it's a more mature product since it had more time to collect and improve its data. That's not my point. My point is that Google Maps continue to have outstanding issues actually similar to Apple's Map that suddenly gets much less media coverage than Apple. And I am referring to this story in Australia where everyone went crazy when it was reported that the data errors (actually it was even an error in some official data that Apple uses) could be dangerous. And here you have it with Google Maps too. Same report that claims that Google Maps could be dangerous, much less reactions.

Now, I don't blame Google Maps to have errors, that's ok. I don't blame Apple either. Mapping is hard, and you can't get it right for every place in the world. And people should be informed and be careful to use localization in areas with potential bogus data. But what's ridiculous is to only blame Apple to have errors on their maps data and just consider the same errors as just fine for Google.

Do you understand what I am saying?

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
So let me get this straight. It has taken them exactly 6 months to roll out a native maps app (Since the announcement of Apple Maps on June 11th), But it took them less than 2 to roll out a native youtube app.............I understand maps are more complex than youtube, but really, 3 times as long?

They waited for it to be ready. Obviously Apple doesn't want to take on the PR of Apple's mapping software.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
IF Google gives us turn-by-turn now it would be solely because Apple forced their hand to actually produce something equitable to their own solution for their own Droid phones. I will not download this app solely based on Google's douche-baggery. Had Apple done nothing we would STILL be waiting for TBT directions from this ad based, personal information selling, company we call Google.

Hope you bring lots of food and water. ..... and a camping bag.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
This will give Apple more time to work on their own maps without people stressing them about when will maps be updated. Smart plan. I guess we'll be waiting until iOS 7 for maps to be up to par.

apposphere

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

AllThingsD reports that Google's highly anticipated iOS Maps app is set to be released later tonight.

When Apple stopped using Google Maps in September with iOS 6, rumors immediately began that the search engine giant would release its own Maps app into the App Store. Since then, unhappy iOS users have been waiting patiently for the app, which didn't seem like it was going to materialize, until tonight.

Google Maps for iOS will likely be a huge hit with iPhone users that have been plagued with problems using Apple's built-in mapping solution. Apple has received significant criticism over its mapping app, most recently when motorists in Australia became lost because of a misplaced waypoint.

There's no word on when the app will hit the App Store, but if it is in line with other releases, expect to see it around 11pm Eastern.

Article Link: Google to Release iOS Maps App Tonight

I actually like the aim of apple maps better but I will definitely download the Google maps app because it just works :apple:

http://youtu.be/ZNPyFEfm1qs <---friendly youtuber link wherein I talk about apple maps :D

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Bla, bla, bla, .... Yes of course it's a more mature product since it had more time to collect and improve its data. That's not my point. My point is that Google Maps continue to have outstanding issues actually similar to Apple's Map that suddenly gets much less media coverage than Apple.

Similar to Apple Maps?

Cities located in the ocean?
Roads that run through buildings?
Fields marked as hospitals?
Missing islands?

There's a reason you don't hear about these problems with Google Maps - they were crushed long ago

And I am referring to this story in Australia where everyone went crazy when it was reported that the data errors (actually it was even an error in some official data that Apple uses) could be dangerous. And here you have it with Google Maps too. Same report that claims that Google Maps could be dangerous, much less reactions.

OMG One Story! It's not like Apple issued a public apology and admitted that its maps weren't good enough...

Do you understand what I am saying?

You seem to be defending Apple for something that they've admitted they were wrong on.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I'm really surprised that Microsoft is allowing this release even if their own Internet Explorer app is very flawed. The worse thing you could do is put a polished Netscape next to the problematic Microsoft Internet Explorer. I think if they really wanted to compete against Netscape they should have just stood their ground and forced users to use Internet Explorer.

:rolleyes:

I miss Netscape, and a friend of mine still pays a monthly fee to AOL ( for what I have no idea).

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Maps is awful. Everything looks like its in a desert when zoomed out to see the highway. No landscapes, no roads, just highways and dirt. I need other roads and landscapes to get a sense of where the highways are and the direction they're pointing to. As is, they look like intersecting lines in the middle of nowhere. Will be downloading google maps as soon as it goes live.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Great news, but this hardly fixes my biggest issue with Apple Maps: Because it is the default map engine, it has screwed up every third-party app that uses a map.

Here's an example: I need to search for NYC real estate. Before Apple Maps, I could see how close all of the properties were to various subway stops. I could even zoom in to see which trains stopped there. Post-Apple Maps, those stations are gone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.