Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j4zb4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Cheers, I think that explains why you have not seen it and others do, I assume most people use push email instead of fetch

I would love someone to do this test between an iPhone, iPad, and OS X (and maybe even iCloud.com) sending from each device and then seeing if all other devices update right away without having to go into the mail app which manually causes it to catch up. Some people say it works for them, some say it doesn't :confused:

Ok I did a thorough research... Though I receive mails on my iPhone through push, it takes the fetch duration for the tags to disappear... Incoming is immediate but it takes the default fetch duration for the tag to disappear... But it does disappear without me having to open the mail app on the iPhone....

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
I can also confirm trying to change my Apple ID that is from my Gmail account that you CAN'T change it to an iCloud account which is a shame as it would be nice to be able to merge(wonder if you called Apple would they be able to do something). So now that I've created an iCloud account if I were to login to the app store and start using it, I would have to log out, login as my old ID to be able to get my old apps for example.

----------

Ok I did a thorough research... Though I receive mails on my iPhone through push, it takes the fetch duration for the tags to disappear... Incoming is immediate but it takes the default fetch duration for the tag to disappear... But it does disappear without me having to open the mail app on the iPhone....

Fetch being a minimum 15 minutes? seems not the greatest. Shame as Gmail works great that way, you open the e-mail on the iPad for example, seconds later the notification on the iPhone is gone. Works for the web browser version too really well.

Johnny Alien

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2012
I just tested mine a few times. If I send an email to my me.com address it shows pretty much at the same time on my computers and phone. When I read it on one device the unread icon disappears from all devices. If I move it or delete it on any device it will be removed from the other devices. I am not sure why it wouldn't be working for some people.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
I just tested mine a few times. If I send an email to my me.com address it shows pretty much at the same time on my computers and phone. When I read it on one device the unread icon disappears from all devices. If I move it or delete it on any device it will be removed from the other devices. I am not sure why it wouldn't be working for some people.

So when you read a message on the web app or in the Mail app on a Mac it updates the badge on your iOS devices?

This is also independent of other message activity, correct? In other words.....the badge isn't getting updated because a new message is being pushed to iOS, right?

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Tested this on mine this morning

i dont't use my icloud account, but I had 3 messages in it this morning when i looked (6 hours ago)

I have not received anymore icloud emails today, but have had a few gmail ones

I have read all my emails today in mac mail as I have all my accounts there (so nothing currently unread)

mail on ios still has a badge on it with a 3 in it, these mails where read 6 hours ago on my mac

EDIT:just received another email to my cloud account and this has updated the count to be correct (so read status is updated when a new email comes in)

EDIT:tested with gmail as exchange, as soon as I read an item on my mac, the badge is almost instantly updated on ios

Last edited:

Johnny Alien

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2012
So when you read a message on the web app or in the Mail app on a Mac it updates the badge on your iOS devices?

This is also independent of other message activity, correct? In other words.....the badge isn't getting updated because a new message is being pushed to iOS, right?

I believe so but I will retest tonight and post the results.

Johnny Alien

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2012
So it works but not instantly. It didn't need new email to remove the icon but it did take awhile before it synced with the server. If I was just staring at it, it would take a minute or so but if I let the phone lock and then unlocked that forced a refresh. Hope that helps. It works as advertised but serving syncing is not always fast and I imagine that would also be affected by speed of service and what kind (wifi, 3G, LTE)

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Stick with Gmail for mail, contacts & calendar (whichever you use) and use iCloud for everything else

You already have Reminders on iCloud so that is sorted

If you have Gmail & iCloud setup in Mac Mail then copy/paste your notes from Gmail notes to iCloud notes, so that is your Notes sorted out

Love to and do now. BUT active sync is going away next month so push for Gmail on new devices will be gone. Read here https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1508098/

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
I had been using my ISP email for--well forever really--have a gmail account too but wanted to give icloud a try so I am using it for my personal email--mostly to friends--to see how it holds up--so far I'm liking it just fine. :)

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.

Really? Not for me.

I have iCloud, Gmail, and Hotmail setup via exchange so they are push default. In settings->mail, calendar->fetch/push I have set Fetch to 15 mins. Sent an email to my iCloud account, got it on my Mac and iPhone. Read it on the Mac but 30 mins later I still have the badge icon on my iPhone.

j4zb4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Really? Not for me.

I have iCloud, Gmail, and Hotmail setup via exchange so they are push default. In settings->mail, calendar->fetch/push I have set Fetch to 15 mins. Sent an email to my iCloud account, got it on my Mac and iPhone. Read it on the Mac but 30 mins later I still have the badge icon on my iPhone.

*scratching head*

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Love to and do now. BUT active sync is going away next month so push for Gmail on new devices will be gone. Read here https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1508098/

I saw that and am not to happy with it

Going to start using the gmail app as I believe this does push email (not looked into calendars/contacts yet)

The problem for me is I use multiple devices and iCloud doesn't offer push email for non apple products

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
*scratching head*

This was in response to: Originally Posted by j4zb4

My iDevices don't update unless I open the mail app or get another email. Since iCloud is now push, I was wondering how j4zb4 had his setup.

j4zb4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
This was in response to: Originally Posted by j4zb4

My iDevices don't update unless I open the mail app or get another email. Since iCloud is now push, I was wondering how j4zb4 had his setup.

Yea I got your point... *scratching head* was because I am confused how it works for me and doesn't for you...

----------

Really? Not for me.

Ok I tried it again... Set up icloud to push on my phone... Sent myself an email from another account... Read the email on icloud.com and it disappeared from the phone after a minute...

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Yea I got your point... *scratching head* was because I am confused how it works for me and doesn't for you...

----------

Ok I tried it again... Set up icloud to push on my phone... Sent myself an email from another account... Read the email on icloud.com and it disappeared from the phone after a minute...

Strange.... glad it works for you. Apple's support pages even says its not supposed to. Heck I'm always scratching my head!!

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010

The message was gone? Or just the unread notification badge on the mail icon?

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
The unread badge...

Now I am trying again... The badge is still there after 5 minutes...

Neither for me. Sent an email from Gmail to iCloud. Received in less than 3 seconds on iCloud.com, iPhone and Mac mail. I read the message then deleted it on iCloud.com and I'm still waiting for the badge to update.....

Daysight

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2011
My experience too. Got a .me address as soon as iCloud became available and couldn't be happier. Keeps my iPad, iPhone and iMac all synched up. Very happy with my iCloud folder system.

j4zb4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Neither for me. Sent an email from Gmail to iCloud. Received in less than 3 seconds on iCloud.com, iPhone and Mac mail. I read the message then deleted it on iCloud.com and I'm still waiting for the badge to update.....

tried again... The icon stayed for over 30 minutes... Finally I got annoyed and opened the app... :(

You jinxed me...!! :p

j/k

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
tried again... The icon stayed for over 30 minutes... Finally I got annoyed and opened the app... :(

You jinxed me...!! :p

j/k

Haha - sorry about that! Apple's own documents state updates occur when new email is delivered or you open the mail app.

S.L.

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2012
USA
i switched to iCloud, wish i could somehow buy an @apple or @mac e-mail address. that would be ideal!

kyussmondo

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
UK
I have used my iCloud email from day one with zero problems. Push email works well and email syncs well across iPhone, Mac and iPad. I have had no problems with spam either.

ste0x

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2007
I saw that and am not to happy with it

Going to start using the gmail app as I believe this does push email (not looked into calendars/contacts yet)

The problem for me is I use multiple devices and iCloud doesn't offer push email for non apple products

Gmail has supported push in iOS mail since 2009 - instructions

However, come January they're getting rid of this feature for free accounts; they claim that they'll still support it for users who activate it before the cut-off, so hurry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.