Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacPat333

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
Dubai
Hey guys,

Yesterday I finally received my brand new MBA 13"/i5/8GB RAM/ 128GB SSD.

After the intitial setup I put in my SD card and imported the pictures and videos to the SSD. Obviously the SD card isn't really fast, but the import to iMovie of 10 videos between 8-44 sec. took 45 min.! Not sure if this is because it was imported directly from the card, but should it take that long?

Videos were all 1080p Full HD with 24 fps, Canon format.

Thanks!

Nov 28, 2010
located
Probably because iMovie needs to transcode the highly compressed footage to an editing friendly format, though it should not take that long.
How much CPU was used by iMovie and did you try to import the videos after being copied to an external HDD for safekeeping? And do you import to the internal SSD or another external HDD?

MacPat333

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
Dubai
Probably because iMovie needs to transcode the highly compressed footage to an editing friendly format, though it should not take that long.
How much CPU was used by iMovie and did you try to import the videos after being copied to an external HDD for safekeeping? And do you import to the internal SSD or another external HDD?

YouTube: video

Yesterday I imported to the internal SSD, no external was attached. I will try to copy the files first on the SSD and afterwards import them then to iMovie.

I had iPhoto, iMovie and Motion 5 running with Safari incl. flash (youtube) and the top above the keyboard got pretty warm. I have heard that Mac's get warm or even hot when being used heavily, though I could not see the temperatures as I was not able to download iStat Pro.

It said that it is not supported and couldn't get it installed. Anyone can help with that, I want to monitor the temperatures and CPU usage and need iStat Pro, where can I get it from to run with ML latest version (yesterday updated)?

Thanks a lot!

Today in the evening I will be exploring the MAC OS further, but one question, how to I get a delete button? I know it's missing, but how can I configure on key to do this function?

Thanks!

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
use fn-backspace for delete. or ctrl-d.
option(alt)-backspace deletes the whole word on the left of the cursor.
and cmd-backspace the whole line.

Last edited:

MacPat333

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
Dubai
use fn-backspace for delete. or ctrl-d.
option(alt)-backspace deletes the whole word on the left of the cursor.
and cmd-backspace the whole line.

Thanks so much. Do you advise on how to create a folder on an external HDD and how to drag and drop! Tried yesterday, googled but didn't get it to work.

Thanks a lot.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Thanks so much. Do you advise on how to create a folder on an external HDD and how to drag and drop! Tried yesterday, googled but didn't get it to work.

Thanks a lot.

A new folder can be created anywhere (internal HDD or external HDD or USB flash memory thumb drive via
  • Finder > File > New Folder
  • Finder > CMD+SHIFT+N
  • Finder > right click in a window in an empty space > New Folder

But maybe that external HDD is formatted with NTFS (Windows NT Filesystem), to find out:
Finder > select external HDD >> GET INFO >>> Format :
MR_SS_2011_04_GET-INFO_format_permissions.png

Overview of the four major file systems (called "Formats" in Mac OS X) used on Windows and Mac OS X, compiled by GGJstudios. You can use Disk Utility to format any HDD to your liking.

Any external hard drive will work with PCs or Macs, as long as the connectors are there (Firewire, USB, etc.) It doesn't matter how the drive is formatted out of the box, since you can re-format any way you like. Formatting can be done with the Mac OS X Disk Utility, found in the /Applications/Utilities folder. Here are your formatting options:

HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Don't use case-sensitive)

NTFS (Windows NT File System)
  • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
  • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
    [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
    • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon (approx $20) (Best Choice for Lion)
    • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
    • For 64-bit Snow Leopard, read this: MacFUSE for 64-bit Snow Leopard
    • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36).
    • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and Lion, but is not advisable, due to instability.
  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
  • Maximum file size: 16 TB
  • Maximum volume size: 256TB
  • You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.

exFAT (FAT64)
  • Supported in Mac OS X only in 10.6.5 or later.
  • Not all Windows versions support exFAT. See disadvantages.
  • exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table)
  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support exFAT
  • Maximum file size: 16 EiB
  • Maximum volume size: 64 ZiB
  • You can use this format if it is supported by all computers with which you intend to share the drive. See "disadvantages" for details.

FAT32 (File Allocation Table)
  • Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X.
    [*]Maximum file size: 4GB.
  • Maximum volume size: 2TB
  • You can use this format if you share the drive between Mac OS X and Windows computers and have no files larger than 4GB.

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.