Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Namtaro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
With the recent news of Google Maps going to iOS, I think I just got the upgrade bug as that was the only thing keeping me back from iOS6.

My iPhone 4 is currently running 5.1.1 and has shsh blobs saved so I won't have a problem with downgrading. I just want an as smooth as possible upgrade to iOS 6.0.1.

Could I upgrade via iTunes upgrade button, then jailbreak using RedSnow without losing anything?
Or would it be better just to back everything up, wipe and reinstall everything using this method.
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/11/01/how-to-jailbreak-ios-6-0-1/

Thanks a lot everyone!

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
With the recent news of Google Maps going to iOS, I think I just got the upgrade bug as that was the only thing keeping me back from iOS6.

My iPhone 4 is currently running 5.1.1 and has shsh blobs saved so I won't have a problem with downgrading. I just want an as smooth as possible upgrade to iOS 6.0.1.

Could I upgrade via iTunes upgrade button, then jailbreak using RedSnow without losing anything?
Or would it be better just to back everything up, wipe and reinstall everything using this method.
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/11/01/how-to-jailbreak-ios-6-0-1/

Thanks a lot everyone!

Where in the tutorial that you linked does it say/recommend to wipe everything ?
When you restore to 6.0.1, it essentially overwrites all the existing firmware on the device anyway, so once complete you have a clean, stock install - ready for jailbreak procedure.

There is no difference between the two "methods" you asked about, they are the same since that is the only way to do what you wish to do.

Namtaro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Where in the tutorial that you linked does it say/recommend to wipe everything ?
When you restore to 6.0.1, it essentially overwrites all the existing firmware on the device anyway, so once complete you have a clean, stock install - ready for jailbreak procedure.

There is no difference between the two "methods" you asked about, they are the same since that is the only way to do what you wish to do.

Ah alright, nice to know.

I went ahead and restored/upgraded to 6.0.1, but I just felt uneasy with an tethered phone after a day so I went back to 5.1.1... boy, iCloud just makes everything so easy. It even saves cydia app information! :eek:

One of those small things you don't notice until you actually need it. Just hope when the day comes that I need to use my Time Machine backup, it's just as easy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.