Google Chairman Eric Schmidt Says Android is 'Pretty Clearly' Winning the Mobile War with Apple - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:04 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Google Chairman Eric Schmidt Says Android is 'Pretty Clearly' Winning the Mobile War with Apple

In another wide-ranging interview with Bloomberg, Google Executive Chairman and former CEO Eric Schmidt says that Google is winning the war against Apple in the mobile space.
Quote:
This is a huge platform change; this is of the scale of 20 years ago -- Microsoft versus Apple. We're winning that war pretty clearly now. [...]

"The core strategy is to make a bigger pie," he said. "We will end up with a not perfectly controlled and not perfectly managed bigger pie by virtue of open systems."
Bloomberg points to a Gartner study claiming that Android's market share reached 72% during the previous quarter while iOS registered at just 14% as its market share has plateaued or even retreated somewhat in the face of Android's momentum.

The report notes that Google has gained confidence in its model of giving away Android to handset manufacturing partners and relying on advertising, search, and other services to generate revenue. The flexibility of Android has resulted in adoption by numerous manufacturers, yielding significant diversity and market penetration for the platform.

Schmidt sat down with The Wall Street Journal for a similar interview last week, during which he noted that Google and Apple have an on-and-off relationship. Schmidt noted at the time that Apple and Google would address their differences "the adult way", recognizing that they have major partnerships in place that need to be fostered even as they have disputes in other areas.

Article Link: Google Chairman Eric Schmidt Says Android is 'Pretty Clearly' Winning the Mobile War with Apple
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:05 PM   #2
\-V-/
macrumors 65816

Not completely clearly, but "pretty" clearly.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:06 PM   #3
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

If only they were playing the same game....
ugahairydawgs is offline   64 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:07 PM   #4
iRCL
macrumors 6502

I love how nobody outside of core hardcore tech people have any idea who the hell Eric Schmidt is

I sure as hell don't recognize the name. He looks like my dad though
iRCL is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:07 PM   #5
kbt1020
macrumors regular

You're not winning until Charlie Sheen says that you're winning
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:07 PM   #6
Apple Corps
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugahairydawgs View Post
If only they were playing the same game....
Spot on :-)
Apple Corps is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:08 PM   #7
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

Market share =/= winning.

There are some great non-iOS smartphones out there, but just because the 20,000 new Android models keep an edge on the single iPhone model every year, doesn't mean that's the reason for it being the better product.

Same logic could be applied to Windows and OS X.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:08 PM   #8
Macclone
Banned

Eric Zit?

Stealing from Apple is being a loser. He has no conscience.
Macclone is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:08 PM   #9
iapplelove
Banned

I would say they are both winning. Both companies have more money than a small country.
iapplelove is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:08 PM   #10
wildspin
macrumors newbie

It's like he is still the CEO of Google ... Larry Page needs to learn a thing or two from this guy.
wildspin is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:09 PM   #11
Krazy Bill
Banned

Well, there we have it then. I just chucked my iPhone in the dumpster.
Krazy Bill is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:10 PM   #12
Nova Sensei
macrumors 6502

That's like Hyundai bragging about selling more cars than Rolls Royce.....

I'm not saying iOS is a Rolls Royce, but c'mon Eric, be real here.
Nova Sensei is offline   61 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:10 PM   #13
impulse462
macrumors 65816

Famous saying: "quality not quantity"

Apple is trying to make the best smartphone hardware and software
Google is trying to sell as many ads to people as they can, through android devices.

There's the difference.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy stock android...but their goal is not to make the best smartphone, it's just to sell ads.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:10 PM   #14
nfl46
macrumors 601

Ok. Steve, we need you back. Because I would love to hear his smart azz response. Lol.
nfl46 is offline   27 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:11 PM   #15
Stridder44
macrumors 68040

Chairman of company says company is the best.

In other news, water is wet.
Stridder44 is offline   60 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:11 PM   #16
bossxii
macrumors 68000

Wow... I'm sure Wall Street appreciates you tossing as much $^%t at the wall and seeing what sticks...

Makes it even more amazing that Apple can capture 80 or 90% of all mobile profits. Free is only good for some things! This would not be one of those things.

In case your lost, welcome to America where Capitalism and making money is still a good thing! Winning in business usually is followed by a healthy balance sheet and since the competitors are both public companies, crazy things like ROI actually mean something. Ya those crazy kids and their free phones, hope they enjoy themselves, meanwhile back in reality, I'll follow the money trail.

One of these companies haz this... one does not haz this
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:12 PM   #17
DMinTX
macrumors member

Quote:
The report notes that Google has gained confidence in its model of giving away Android to handset manufacturing partners and relying on advertising, search, and other services to generate revenue.
I DO NOT want an ad-based phone OS!!!
DMinTX is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:12 PM   #18
gagaliya
macrumors regular

quantity does not mean quality, I have android right now on Verizon 4g lte and it's a piece of crap, don't get me wrong the Samsung hardware is brillant probably better than iPhone but the software - android is junk, completely fractured with useless crap embeded everywhere, and constantly freezes. There is absolutely no integration.

I can't wait until the contract is over and switch back to iPhone and iOS. My old ipad2 which I use everyday is still flawless.

apple all the way, it's the software not hardware...no one seems to realize that.
gagaliya is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:12 PM   #19
mp0890
macrumors regular

Remember when Steve Jobs said Apple was after 1% market share?
mp0890 is offline   23 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:13 PM   #20
1080p
macrumors 65816

Lets's see...

Google develops a mobile OS built around it's services and give this OS away for FREE to device manufacturers so that they may collect user info and *HOPEFULLY* use that info to make money in advertising. Sells no devices of it's own.

Apple develops a mobile OS and offers services for use on hardware they design and build. Apple sells their products at a HUGE PROFIT point. (At LEAST $400 per iPhone!!!)

Who is winning again?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:16 PM   #21
lzyprson
macrumors regular

Oh god... Shut up Eric. How can someone justify having majority of the worlds noble OS share and say "hey were number 1, everything is still far from perfect and honestly pretty crappy, but hey, we're number1..."

Pathetic. Hope apple enters the search business and soon...
lzyprson is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:16 PM   #22
Stella
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwalls90 View Post
Market share =/= winning.

There are some great non-iOS smartphones out there, but just because the 20,000 new Android models keep an edge on the single iPhone model every year, doesn't mean that's the reason for it being the better product.

Same logic could be applied to Windows and OS X.
"The better product" - well, thats subjective isn't it? What is "the better product"? Ask half a dozen people and you'd get various answers.

You can say "who is winning" by various statistics - what is it? Sale figures, profits? Each are valid, each, iOS and Android are "winning".

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp0890 View Post
Remember when Steve Jobs said Apple was after 1% market share?
Salesman talk. Nothing more, nothing less. It was a get out clause.

Apple ( Steve Jobs specifically ) liked to use sales figures when it suited Apple.. SJ claim they didn't care about sales for its desktops - because it would be pretty minor compared to windows, but couldn't stop talking about the market share of iTunes and iPods in keynotes, because they were high percentages. He wouldn't boast about Apple PC sales when Apple were selling less than 1 million per quarter back in early to mid 2000s. When Apple PC sales started to become impressive, SJ started to quote sales figures for all computer sales.

Last edited by Stella; Dec 12, 2012 at 10:32 PM.
Stella is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:17 PM   #23
KdParker
macrumors 68020

What mobile war is that?
KdParker is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:17 PM   #24
seamer
macrumors 6502

What's the market share for iOS-comparable androids? Not all gphones are using good hardware; most of it is lowest tier possible just to enter poor markets.
seamer is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:18 PM   #25
oliversl
macrumors 6502a

Winning: where making money is not a key point.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion