Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Love the iPad 4 screen, but I can see the pixels due to the fact it's density is 264 ppi, vs. the iPhone's density which is 326 ppi.

Think the iPad 5 will have a more iPhone like pixel density?

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Holding the iPad at normal distance of 12-15 inches makes it a retina screen. I think its important to understand how resolution works. Apple is not going to make a slightly higher res screen because apps will not scale properly and would cause fragmentation. It would cause all developers to re-write their apps. Not to mention even more graphic horsepower needed.

Think you are being a bit OCD on this one.

S

syd430

Are you sure you didn't accidently buy an iPad 2? Being serious here.

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
Not really, it was just an observation and a comment noting such.:rolleyes:

That was just an atrocious observation. Nobody will agree and accept to what you are saying. You really cant make out the pixels holding the iPad-3/4.

MF878

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
People don't realise that while Apple's Retina displays are fantastic, the whole "Retina" thing is not quite what it's made out to be. They do not disclose what level of vision their "Retina" classification is based upon, but most experts would tell you it is certainly a very average one.

STORY TIME :D
When I had my last mandatory eye test, I had, to quote the strangely cheerful woman, "the best eyesight I've ever come across." Granted, this makes me a rare case, but I can see every single pixel in any of Apple's Retina displays from their supposed "average viewing distance" and even a bit further back. Thankfully, they are small enough not to be a nuisance.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Love the iPad 4 screen, but I can see the pixels due to the fact it's density is 264 ppi, vs. the iPhone's density which is 326 ppi.

Think the iPad 5 will have a more iPhone like pixel density?

Extremely unlikely; as the majority of people couldn't perceive much difference; yet it would require a lot of work to achieve. Unless they doubled the horizontal and vertical resolutions again, they'd have to add a new non-integer multiple which would make scaling awkward.

Either way, it would add a lot of work for developers for very little gain.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
You can see the pixels where? Many assets and graphics are not fully retina capable so they are blurry. I doubt you can see the pixels in properly rendered text.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
So now that people are done complaining about the iPad mini's screen we're going to start bullying the best tablet display on the market? Okay, cool.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
That was just an atrocious observation. Nobody will agree and accept to what you are saying. You really cant make out the pixels holding the iPad-3/4.

Yep, just ATROCIOUS.

So now that people are done complaining about the iPad mini's screen we're going to start bullying the best tablet display on the market? Okay, cool.

Yep:rolleyes:

I love my iPad, it was just an observation, but I suppose you have the standard 4 second American attention span and didn't bother to read the thread.:rolleyes:

I can see the pixels with 20/20 vision. I'm not bitching, just noting that I can see them and was curious if people thought Apple would bump the density to iPhone levels in the next iteration. Hardly "bullying" the display.:rolleyes:

Some people offered good responses, others just contributed garbage.

AzN1337c0d3r

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2010
I can see the pixels with 20/20 vision. I'm not bitching, just noting that I can see them and was curious if people thought Apple would bump the density to iPhone levels in the next iteration. Hardly "bullying" the display.:rolleyes

I have 20/15 vision (so better than average) and can resolve the pixels easily at 18 inches. Quite a significant part of the population has even eyesight thanI, so I would imagine that a PPI bump would help.

On the other hand, it would be insanely expensive if not impossible to make a 528 PPI display (which is likely the next density Apple will go to).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.