Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

codelode84

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
I am having problems getting my new mac mini and dell u3011 to play well together. The max resolution i can get it up to is 1600*1200. I know the monitor can do 2560*1600 thru the dvi port. I am running the dvi wire to the dvi to hdmi adapter that comes with the mac mini. Is this the problem? I found on the apple forums at one point that the Mac Mini was capable of 1920*1080 thru HDMI, I don't know if this was older macs or not. I also found on that same board that thunderbolt capability took it up to 2560*1600.

I am so frustrated. I was on phone with apple for 2 hours and they were looking at the same things I was.

this is the conversation i was referring to.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3803303?start=0&tstart=0

Please help. I feel I need this but I don't want to spend $99 and this not be what I need.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB571Z/A/mini-displayport-to-dual-link-dvi-adapter

Is the second no usb port on that fit into the mac mini thunderbolt.

Thank you all so much for your help.

Nov 28, 2010
located
That Dell has a DisplayPort input, thus you can use it with a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable or adapter (+ DisplayPort cable) without the need for any HDMi or expensive DVI adapter.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
HDMI (single-link DVI) will give you up to 2.75MP, doesn't matter if it's 1920 x 1080 or 1600 x 1200 - just the total pixels is less than 2.75 million.

To drive the 4 million pixels your monitor supports via DVI you need dual-link DVI from the DisplayPort (Thunderbolt) connector instead of the HDMI connecter.

As previous reply said the cheaper/simpler solution is to just use the DisplayPort connector on your monitor with an appropriate cable instead of DVI. If for whatever reason you must use the DVI port, the $99 adapter you list is the correct one.

codelode84

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
I would put it this way, if there is I sure can't tell. This monitor is so awesome it is sweet no complaints at all. I previously had a 24" iMac that ended up getting some dust inside the lcd panel somehow that really bothered me and I just decided that I wanted to go with a separate monitor this time.

It also comes with a 3 year warranty too which is nice but it is pretty pricey.

The frustrating thing about my situation in this thread was that I spoke to apple for about and hour and the rep that I spoke with had no clue. I saw a the apple connector that I thought could help me but I wasn't sure b/c it didn't say thunderbolt on it but it looked like the same shape. I even asked her and she didn't know. Oh well all is well now.

eizen

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2012
I would put it this way, if there is I sure can't tell. This monitor is so awesome it is sweet no complaints at all. I previously had a 24" iMac that ended up getting some dust inside the lcd panel somehow that really bothered me and I just decided that I wanted to go with a separate monitor this time.

It also comes with a 3 year warranty too which is nice but it is pretty pricey.

The frustrating thing about my situation in this thread was that I spoke to apple for about and hour and the rep that I spoke with had no clue. I saw a the apple connector that I thought could help me but I wasn't sure b/c it didn't say thunderbolt on it but it looked like the same shape. I even asked her and she didn't know. Oh well all is well now.

Yeah I didn't know either that you could use mini display port on a thunderbolt connector until recently ~_~

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.