Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
I will not install the freaking google app. Happy now? I have nothing to discuss with someone like you.

I see, you must be a BING type of guy. I understand :rolleyes:

What I don't understand it what that has to do with Maps.

It's not even out yet and you along with a horde of other crazy people are taking some kind of stand against Google Maps....WHICH WERE FINE FOR EVERYONE SINCE 2007 ! ! !

Sorry , but its just an idiotic argument and if the iPhone 5 is your first iPhone then you don't know what you are saying.

And the whole paranoid tracking BS is just that ...a load of BS.

And another thing, "Someone like me" ??? What do you mean by that ?

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Just installed it.

Unlike Apple, Google has ridiculously outdated satellite imagery. My condo doesn't exist in Google's world. So there's at least ONE example where Apple Maps was better. :p

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
same ole' same ole'. You get a few hundred thousand, possibly a few million complaining about the app and saying stuff is wrong. Which I'm sure there is plenty to fix. I mean it is 1.0, remember? Now, how many iOS devices have been upgraded to iOS6? Probably tens of millions on top of the new iOS devices that shipped with iOS6. My point is, the number of people who have the new Maps and don't complain out way those who do... by a very very large margin. Again, not saying there isn't stuff wrong (personally haven't had any issues in northern MN and in the Twin Cities), but so many more don't have problems that do. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. Anything actually new?

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
I think Apple did a good job. They finally got Google to finally give its users turn by turn with voice. Competition is good!

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
I think Apple did a good job. They finally got Google to finally give its users turn by turn with voice. Competition is good!

Apple could have done it from the start, but they would have had to to pay for. Guess what, they didn't want to pay for it. So don't go praising apple.

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
Nice, Google Maps has something Apple refused to give to me. Turn by turn directions on my iPhone 4! Good job Google, bad job Apple. No reason turn-by-turn doesn't work on the iPhone 4 from Apple except for greed.

Ieo

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
I have the perfect comparison test in mind: construction around DFW airport has made getting to the airport extremely difficult, and this weekend while picking up a relative Apple maps got me hopelessly lost. (I was told to turn onto roads that don't exist, etc). I have to make to same trip this coming weekend- lets see how google maps handle it.

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
Just installed it.

Unlike Apple, Google has ridiculously outdated satellite imagery. My condo doesn't exist in Google's world. So there's at least ONE example where Apple Maps was better. :p

That's the only thing I praised Apple for, updated photos.

fsck-y dingo

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
I'm surprised to see turn-by-turn voice directions. I can't wait to try this out tomorrow.

If anyone is having trouble finding the app...search for any Google app that's been out for a while and click on it. Then click on the Google Inc. link under the name of the app you've selected. That brings you to group of Google apps. Scroll all the way to the right and it should be there.

Renzatic

Suspended
Point is, Apple did the opposite of what Steve wanted in regards to maps and the Mini.

Steve wanted to keep Google Maps.
Steve didn't want a smaller iPad.

Steve was interested in a smaller iPad. It was just his usual style to pan something if Apple didn't immediately provide it. Like remember when he said no one wanted to watch anything on a small iPod screen...then released the iPod video not even a year later? It's the same situation with the iPad Mini. If he were still alive, he'd be talking about how wonderful it is, and how they finally figured out how to do it right, and so on and so on.

Also, isn't it great how we're all on a first name basis with Steve?

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
I'm surprised to see turn-by-turn voice directions. I can't wait to try this out tomorrow.

If anyone is having trouble finding the app...search for any Google app that's been out for a while and click on it. Then click on the Google Inc. link under the name of the app you've selected. That brings you to group of Google apps. Scroll all the way to the right and it should be there.
Same thing. Tells me it's no longer available for download.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
My point is, the number of people who have the new Maps and don't complain out way those who do... by a very very large margin.

But what's the number that use maps vs. those who never use them? Many people can't read maps anyway. By pure logic, a map user might complain, a non user won't.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Apple could have done it from the start, but they would have had to to pay for. Guess what, they didn't want to pay for it. So don't go praising apple.

Offers for Google maps were unsatisfactory for both companies. Apple took Google maps off, made its own, now we have google maps with all the trimmings. Its called competition.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO

Attachments

• Not_Yet.png
    Not_Yet.png
    958.6 KB · Views: 92
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.