Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macairlin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
I bought the MacBook Air in August and suddenly it stopped working. I brought it back to Apple Store and was told it was liquid damage and need $750 to get it repaired. I paid extra to get MacBook Air instead of Windows Laptop and now it is crazy to find out Apple will not repair it under 1 year warranty. I never had liquid spilled. I attached pictures from Apple Store. Please help.

Attachments

• Apple_case.png
    Apple_case.png
    180.3 KB · Views: 645
  • Apple_logicboard.png
    Apple_logicboard.png
    529.4 KB · Views: 1,135

iDutchman

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2010
Amsterdam, NL
I bought the MacBook Air in August and suddenly it stopped working. I brought it back to Apple Store and was told it was liquid damage and need $750 to get it repaired. I paid extra to get MacBook Air instead of Windows Laptop and now it is crazy to find out Apple will not repair it under 1 year warranty. I never had liquid spilled. I attached pictures from Apple Store. Please help.

Well, the picture shows liquid damage. If you are sure you didn't spill anything on the device, maybe someone else did? Because there's no other explanation for such corrosion. Apple does not have to fix devices when it's not their fault they were exposed to liquid damage, right? That's the owner's responsibility.

Last thing that can be done, but it looks very damaged, is to clean it off with 99% alcohol. I've brought some macs back to life after similar damage.

Good luck.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
If you triggered the sensors then it's not covered under warranty. That odd blob isn't a natural feature of an MBA.

AppleCare is an excellent warranty that covers premature failure or manufacturing defects.

No manufacture covers liquid damage to their PCs.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
That is too bad but as others have said not Apple's fault.

If you don't feel it is worth spending $750 to fix it, you could consider taking the whole computer apart and selling off the parts that still work and are not damaged? Not sure how much you could recoup on eBay/CL but might be an option. Or see if home owners/renters insurance will cover it. Mine does.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Ur only salvation is u paid for it via AMEX or a Premium VISA with an accidental damage coverage.

macairlin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
This is my first Mac and I used over 5 Windows based laptops and never had this issue before, not even mentioned I paid extra because it is Apple. I am very disappointing with Apple product. With other brand laptops, there is an option to buy extended warranty which covers accidental damage, but that is not an option for Apple.

Johnny Alien

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2012
I know that some stores offer warranties that cover accidental damage but I don't know of any manufacturers that do.

micrors4racer

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2012
Thats a very strange spot. What is the blob made out of? That is obviously not liquid damage like something was spilled on it as the rest of the board is really clean. I would try to escalate this case if possible because the first picture shows the underside of the keyboard (which is basically sealed to help prevent damage incase of spills hence the black plastic) and there is some weird substance which obviously isn't free flowing like liquid but instead in a grease like state which the owner would not have been able to put into that specific area.

Even if there was a spill you would be able to see where the spill entered the laptop usually and from the looks of the surrounding area on the board and the underside of the top case there was no spill. Maybe a disgruntled worker put his booger in it during assembly? :eek::confused:

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
This is my first Mac and I used over 5 Windows based laptops and never had this issue before, not even mentioned I paid extra because it is Apple. I am very disappointing with Apple product. With other brand laptops, there is an option to buy extended warranty which covers accidental damage, but that is not an option for Apple.

http://www.squaretrade.com/laptop

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.