Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

articulatefool

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
I think Google might want to tweak the app. See the attached image. The blue icon is where Google located me. The red icon is the actual address.

That is not Google Maps' fault.
You are getting triangulation from cell phone towers because you don't have a GPS lock.

The problem is either with your hardware GPS, your software disabling GPS use for this app, or the nature of your surroundings preventing a lock onto GPS satellites.

ufwa

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2011
I think Google might want to tweak the app. See the attached image. The blue icon is where Google located me. The red icon is the actual address.

You might want to give it a little bit.

Both Apple and Google Maps initially gets my spot wrong. it puts me in the hills behind me. after a little bit the blue dot for both move to where my house is.

thaifood

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
I got it.

Tutorial:
1. Search google maps
2. Open google earth
3. Scroll down to developer and click on it
4. Scroll to the very bottom and google maps will be there
5. Successfully install

Good stuff. Found it in Australian app store via this method. Thanks

bandalay

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
Canada
Surprising…

It's not as simple to use as Apple's maps - with lots of weird interface odds and bobs.

Haven't ever used the native Android app, so a lot of the look and feel may have been invented there, but looking at the preview screens in the Android Play store, it still seems quite different on Android.

Actually kinda weird how much Apple's Maps looks like this. Hunh. One wonders if they shared a design brief for a while, while Apple tried to figure out if they would stick with Google.

Both are quite a change from the original Apple Maps app.

Major General

macrumors member
May 26, 2012
Won't go in Washington DC

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 67

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
Surprised there is no voice input options.. Google has some really great (and fast) voice recognition. It would be awesome to just say "take me to 123 blah street" and it take you. Like siri, but less integrated obviously.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.