Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:31 AM   #1
-BigMac-
macrumors 6502

Airport Express. Multiple Connections Solution

Hi guys.

Just read this article 'Matrox Launches DS1'

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/12/...ation-for-249/

I have an Airport Express, and my USB3 harddrive cannot connect to the express due to 'too low power supply' of the Express.

Using the DS1, which has a power input, could one connect lets say.. 2 x USB2 Harddrives and 1 x USB3 harddrive to the Express via a USB to Thunderbolt cable adaptor?

Thanks
-BigMac- is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:34 AM   #2
blueroom
macrumors 603

AirPort Express USB port is only for printers. The Extreme can handle external USB storage.

Consider getting a NAS instead. Synology makes some great ones.
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:38 AM   #3
Macman45
macrumors G5

That's a lot of power you are asking from the device....We don;t have the full specs yet, but my gut instinct says no. A buddy has a brand new 21.5" iMac and he purchased a USB 3 powered hub for use with it.

I helped him with the setup as he's new to Mac, but when I plugged in my Apple external superdrive, the yellow "Insufficient Power" message appeared, and that was from a powered USB hub...It couldn't even run the motor in a superdrive. I think you'd be way better off sourcing powered devices....A policy I have always adopted...Powered caddy's are cheap enough so you don't have to spend megabucks to get reliable performance. I doubt the Matrox would provide enough power, but I could be wrong. My philosophy has always been to avoid drawing power from USB ports on my Mac's...I does put extra load on the PSU. The only device plugged into a USB port apart from y powered hub is the KB.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Tags
airport, ds1, express, hard drive, multiple