Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
Use any word you want - real, powerful, good... None of these free map apps are worth anything unless all you do is search for POIs.

Honestly, I've found Street View to be extremely useful these last few years. None of these maps are perfect and even the new Google Maps app put's my company's office on the wrong side of the street.

When I needed it a GPS in my car, I would use my Garmin before I'd use an iPhone. Besides, I don't have to worry about eating up data with a real GPS unit.

Biscuit411

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2010
I'm going to update my 4S to iOS 6 now. I was hesitant to do so because Apple Maps scared me. I've heard good reviews where I live (VA, USA), but it's good to have options. I'm off to upgrade!

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
So since everyone is freaking out in their pants about the new Google Maps app... Did anyone actually even use it yet?

• Absolutely NO ACCESS to contacts... wtf??? Even the free crappy MapQuest app has this!!
  • No Street View?? This is one of my favorite things about Google Maps in general, especially when researching the location of new places you haven't been to yet. The mobile web version has this, so why doesn't the app??
  • No voice search?? Honestly that's one of the most convenient things about Siri and Apple Maps. Quickly ask where the closest [whatever] is and get right into the navigation. Google has great voice search for their maps (I've used it on previous Android phones) and it would be nice to have that convenience here.
The app looks very nice and seems to be quite smooth. I have not even used the navigation feature yet, but these three things above are what I immediately noticed upon opening the app with excitement.

I'm one of the apparent few that has had zero issues with Apple's Maps app, although I greatly missed Google. My excitement has been severely deflated for now though. I'll keep it and use it for a while to see how it goes, but it sure is missing some key features...

I'm still trying to figure out if you can access contacts. Street View is definitely there, though. Look a few posts back for how to find it. The lack of voice search is a bit strange, considering that their Search app's voice feature is incredible.

pa2jonah

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2009
Data usage???

I haven't read through all the responses to see if this has been brought up yet. Does anyone have a clue what the mobile data usage will be like with this app? I know Apple's vector-based maps go very light on the data usage and can actually buffer enough map data to keep you going during a signal loss for quite a while... Just curious.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Notice:
1) The first time you run it, they alert you that data will be sent to Google for testing purposes.
2) Google SW are always Beta for a long time.
3) To access contacts, you can't. You must be logged in to Google and store contacts there.
4) The will store history there once you are logged in
5) Your information will be used for Google Latitude
6) That combined with the data sent for traffic updates, testing purposes and linked to you Google account, they know EVERYTHING!! Where you are, where you been and when, how fast you were driving and all your contacts.
7) With a warrant, the can gather everything about you. That is how Petraeus' was caught off the Gmail account.

That is one of the reasons Apple's Google Map was dumped.

And they complained that the old Apple map had data containing where you were in cache!

If you deselect that option upon 1st launch, your info is NOT sent to Google....

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Ironically, we wouldn't have gotten this Google Maps app at all if Apple didn't kick out Google from their own maps app and try to make their own.

We'd still be stuck with a non-voice-navigation limited functionality app.

Yes, that is true. So, I guess it all works out.

But it does make you wonder if its truly is all worth it for Apple. The CEO had to apologize, senior executives were ousted, and now they, per reports, are pouring huge amounts of resources into their maps app. Is it or was it truly worth it? What is Apple gaining from their own headache of developing their own maps app now that there is clearly a better option in the app store now? Could they be using their resources differently now instead of just reinventing the wheel all due to spite?

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Notice:
1) The first time you run it, they alert you that data will be sent to Google for testing purposes.
2) Google SW are always Beta for a long time.
3) To access contacts, you can't. You must be logged in to Google and store contacts there.
4) The will store history there once you are logged in
5) Your information will be used for Google Latitude
6) That combined with the data sent for traffic updates, testing purposes and linked to you Google account, they know EVERYTHING!! Where you are, where you been and when, how fast you were driving and all your contacts.
7) With a warrant, the can gather everything about you. That is how Petraeus' was caught off the Gmail account.

EDIT: With no opt-out.

That is one of the reasons Apple's Google Map was dumped.

And they complained that the old Apple map had data containing where you were in cache!

Err... you do realise that 4, 6 and 7 apply to your phone network too, right?

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
What I don't get is why google keeps making these great apps for ios and offering them for free. They even make the apps better and more intuitive then for there own operating system which is even more of a head scratcher.

Unless apple is paying them behind the scenes I don't get it. It seems counter competitive.

If I were Samsung, HTC, LG etc I wouldn't be too happy about this.

Google generally keep internal businesses separate, so the GMaps core team will have very little communication with the Android 'GAPPS' team.

I'd imagine that the new UI we're seeing with Google Maps, Gmail and Voice on the iPhone is part of a big UI overhaul coming to Android. It already had most of it done with Android 4.x, but it will probably be noticed to a bigger degree with Key Lime Pie.

When they roll out a major Android update, they also release the larger updates to their own apps - that'll be when Android Maps gets a big update.

----------

I haven't read through all the responses to see if this has been brought up yet. Does anyone have a clue what the mobile data usage will be like with this app? I know Apple's vector-based maps go very light on the data usage and can actually buffer enough map data to keep you going during a signal loss for quite a while... Just curious.

The Gmaps one is probably using vectors as well. If it isnt, it'll be no more than the older Maps app.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I'm still trying to figure out if you can access contacts. Street View is definitely there, though. Look a few posts back for how to find it. The lack of voice search is a bit strange, considering that their Search app's voice feature is incredible.

I'm not very concerned with these shortcomings right now. This is their first version and nobody can deny that they really nailed it for a first version app. This isn't a shoddy effort like the new YouTube app. Voice search and contact access will come in due time.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007

Given Google originally said it wouldnt be ready until 2013, you'll probably find they skipped some non-essential features (like contacts and voice) to get it out the door. I dare say we'll see both these (and more) added into an update.

Thats the HUGE difference here. Google can push out a whole app update to the Appstore - Apple has to do a complete iOS update if they want to update the actual application.

theanimaster

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
So since everyone is freaking out in their pants about the new Google Maps app... Did anyone actually even use it yet?

• Absolutely NO ACCESS to contacts... wtf??? Even the free crappy MapQuest app has this!!
  • No Street View?? This is one of my favorite things about Google Maps in general, especially when researching the location of new places you haven't been to yet. The mobile web version has this, so why doesn't the app??
  • No voice search?? Honestly that's one of the most convenient things about Siri and Apple Maps. Quickly ask where the closest [whatever] is and get right into the navigation. Google has great voice search for their maps (I've used it on previous Android phones) and it would be nice to have that convenience here.
The app looks very nice and seems to be quite smooth. I have not even used the navigation feature yet, but these three things above are what I immediately noticed upon opening the app with excitement.

I'm one of the apparent few that has had zero issues with Apple's Maps app, although I greatly missed Google. My excitement has been severely deflated for now though. I'll keep it and use it for a while to see how it goes, but it sure is missing some key features...

We must have two entirely different GOOGLE MAPS.... Mine has street view, but no turn by turn navigation!

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
be carefull, your statement is well written.

every one wants competition for apple, and when they get it, those folks shout 'embarrasing for apple'.

google was holding apple hostage with an archaic maps app that google refused to update. apple called their bluff, and google caughs up their trumping card. if any thing, apple forced google's hand, and apple products are now better. apple wins, the consumer wins, google lost their lofty place in the ios echosystem. who wins the most?

Actually this is not quite true...as the original Maps app was created by Apple and only used Google for the actual POI data and maps. The updated UI of the new Maps app could have easily used Google as a backend, but Apple's deal with Google was about up and they decided it was time to make the switch.

Overall I think it was for the best, as Apple maps will continue to improve over time and we still have Google Maps in a form that can be updated rapidly rather than just every OS update. Third party apps can be implemented with Google's API if they so choose, but I am guessing many won't.

I do hope iOS 7 brings options to replace built in apps with third party ones though, for things like Maps/Stocks/Weather/Calendar. Just make an API that lets them respond to things like Siri and opening text links (Like a calendar appointment in an email or an address.) I'm fine with having Apple Maps as the default though as most of the time I am just using an address which it has no issue with (for me.)

satchow

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2011

LOL when I woke up this morning at 6am there were already about 7000 5-star ratings for this app. I can't believe how many people drove around and actually used the app in the dead of night to come up with an unbiased rating of the app! (sarcasm)

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
be carefull, your statement is well written.

every one wants competition for apple, and when they get it, those folks shout 'embarrasing for apple'.

google was holding apple hostage with an archaic maps app that google refused to update. apple called their bluff, and google caughs up their trumping card. if any thing, apple forced google's hand, and apple products are now better. apple wins, the consumer wins, google lost their lofty place in the ios echosystem. who wins the most?

1) Apple developed the old Google-based Maps app - not Google.
2) The deal Google offered (turn by turn in exchange for a 'find my friends' style Lattitude) was, in hindsite a way better deal than building a **** maps app themselves.
3) As it turns out, for the consumer, we now have a great choice. We have Apple Maps, Nokia Maps and Google Maps. We didnt have that choice until Apple screwed up.

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
After comparing the two apps this morning, I actually prefer the aesthetics of Apple's maps, especially the transitions when you zoom in. But you can't compare the accuracy and detail of google's maps. It's good to have both, but I hope this just pushes apple to truly work on making their maps a better experience.

One wonders if large numbers of iOS users switch to this app whether the effort to improve apple maps may stall due to a sharp decrease in feedback. I have seen steady improvement in apple maps but this new app may shortcircuit that effort.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
What does free have to do with it ? The point is, the developer sets the price, Apple's review has nothing to do with price and they approved navigation and mapping applications long before this ever was in the app store.

The fact that it is Free changes nothing to Apple's review process. There is much precedent here, Apple is admitting nothing new.

Anyway, to answer your question : Maps+.

(and incidently, they reverted to Google Maps earlier this year after having been forced to Apple Maps by virtue of being a MapKit application).

Free because Google maps is free, I could include the TomTom app but seeing as it's 40 quid it's hardly fair to is it? And why are you going on about Apples approval process? Where did I mention anything about Apples approval process?
Also so even the app you posted uses Google maps, so what your saying is their is no free alternative Google maps as fully featured as Google maps, and the ones that are use Google maps.

DudeDad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2009
I'm not very concerned with these shortcomings right now. This is their first version and nobody can deny that they really nailed it for a first version app. This isn't a shoddy effort like the new YouTube app. Voice search and contact access will come in due time.

Ummm...go into search, touch the mike next to the space bar and you can voice search (iOS 6, iPhone 5).

jamesnajera

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
This Google Maps app ALONE is worth the price of admission of the iPhone 5.

Apple should really be kicking back some of the profits they make off iOS now back to Google.

If Google acted like Apple, they would have kept Google Maps exclusive to Android. Instead, they allowed iOS users have it for FREE.

Google supports customer choice whereas Apple believes in creating a monopoly.

Google believes in offering the best user experience despite jeopardizing potential revenues whereas Apple believes in protecting potential revenues despite jeopardizing the user experience.

Bravo Google! Thanks for making our iPhones complete again. :)

WRONG!!!!

Apple wanted to keep using Google Maps data (you do know Apple coded the Maps app). Apple wanted to add Google's Navigation to the Maps App, but Google had some demands and was unwilling to give it to Apple for free. So Apple made there own solution and updated the Maps app to use there new solution with Navigation. Google found themselves removed from iOS because of there unwillingness to share for free. Now look at what we have. Google had to make there own app and offer there navigation for free, looks to me like Apple got exactly what they wanted. Yes, Google has Android, but a lot more people use Google services on iOS, and therefore iOS is not a market Google can avoid.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Love some of the reviews it's getting in the appstore lol:

attachment.php

Tom359

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2007
OMG, Google makes mistakes, too!

Downloaded the app, did some test locations. Nailed my own home, but has my parent's house in Florida about a 1/4 mile down the street from where they are. Ironically, Apple maps nailed both of them perfectly. Not trolling, just reporting. The one thing Google maps needs is to access my contacts...I shouldn't have to search for every single location that I already have in my contact list.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.