Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Sep 6, 2012, 11:01 AM   #1
iaddict
macrumors 6502

Faxing from my iMac

I'm looking for a good app or other software that will enable me to easily fax to and from my iMac. We just moved and do not have a landline- don't want the extra expense but I do need to be able to fax documents at least once a week if not more often.
iaddict is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 01:17 PM   #2
southerndoc
macrumors 6502a

Probably will have to use an online option like eFax. Doubt you'll find this for free.
southerndoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 01:26 PM   #3
killerrobot
macrumors 68020

There's a lot of fax services available online. Most are free if it's under a couple pages/fax, but they add an advertisement to your coversheet.

I've never had any problems but if the fax contains personal info I'm always leary about uploading it to a website and will usually go to kinko's or use my work's fax for those.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 01:27 PM   #4
robgendreau
macrumors 68000

Maybe this post needs to be in the dinosaur section

There isn't much you can do except use an online fax service. Cost is going to depend on how many you send, and whether you need a fax number to receive faxes.

Some of these services have "free" clients, but some just allow you to send an email to an address and it's converted to a fax. Like InterFax. It also allows you to send faxes from Google Docs. eFax is another that's been around a while. Many are now set up for high volume stuff since hardly any individuals fax anymore (I feel your pain; in law faxing is still used quite often unfortunately). Find the service that works for you; they'll have a client or a way to do it.

And depending on what you're faxing you might need a scanner.
robgendreau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 01:39 PM   #5
iaddict
macrumors 6502

Okay. I was hoping there might be an easier way. My company may not be too keen on using an online service but I will check. Thanks for the responses.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 02:10 PM   #6
djharris
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaddict View Post
Okay. I was hoping there might be an easier way. My company may not be too keen on using an online service but I will check. Thanks for the responses.
You may want to use a physical fax machine and, since you don't have a landline, a service like OOMA. You can also send and recieve faxes via Skype with PamFax, but you will have to pay for skype. (I pay about $3/mo for unlimited outgoing calls via skype)
Old Sep 6, 2012, 02:52 PM   #7
iaddict
macrumors 6502

Thanks djharris. I will check into ooma.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 04:38 PM   #8
BrianBaughn
macrumors 68000

I send faxes via gotfreefax.com and faxzero.com.

I have an eFax number to receive but I've never had to use it.
BrianBaughn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 06:07 PM   #9
caseyh
macrumors member

hellofax.com is really going strong in this market. It's web-based, cheap, and effective. There are free options, too for light use. I'd highly recommend checking them out. They also recently introduced hellosign, a companion service for electronic signatures.
caseyh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:55 AM   #10
sunandsurf
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by djharris View Post
You may want to use a physical fax machine and, since you don't have a landline, a service like OOMA. You can also send and recieve faxes via Skype with PamFax, but you will have to pay for skype. (I pay about $3/mo for unlimited outgoing calls via skype)
maybe it's better now but three user comments were not encouraging...

http://shop.skype.com/apps/Faxing/Pa...#disqus_thread
sunandsurf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:09 AM   #11
MCAsan
macrumors 68020

Can't or won't the folks on the other end take a PDF attachment in email? After all, that will give them a digital image...that they do not have to rescan to archive. If they want to print it...that is their choice.
iPad Air | Silver | 128GB | WiFi only
MCAsan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:58 AM   #12
BruiserB
macrumors 6502a

I have a MagicJack Plus VOIP line at home just as backup and it works fine for faxing. Only 19.95 a year when you buy 5 years of service. Or 29.95 on a year at a time basis. Despite the schlocky commercials and apparent crappy customer service if you read the reviews, I've been happy with the service. Just be careful signing up as they use every opportunity to upsell you to more than their basic line.
BruiserB is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store