Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:02 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Quickly Updates Malware Definitions to Detect New SMS Scam Trojan

Earlier this week, Russian security firm Dr. Web published a blog post announcing the discovery of a new OS X trojan horse known as "Trojan.SMSSend.3666". The malware masquerades as an installer for various software titles, but tricks users into signing up for subscriptions through their mobile devices.

Quote:
When a user starts such an installer, they see the interface that imitates the installation wizard of a corresponding application. In order to continue the "installation" fraudsters ask that the victim enter their cellphone number into an appropriate field and then specify the code found in a reply SMS. By performing these actions the user agrees to terms of a chargeable subscription and a fee will be debited from their mobile phone account on a regular basis.
Similar trojans have affected Windows and even Android platforms for some time, but the tactic is now being used to target Mac users.

Apple has moved quickly to address the threat, adding definitions for the malware to its "Xprotect.plist" blacklist, which is part of the basic anti-malware tools Apple launched with OS X Snow Leopard in 2009. In its original incarnation, users were required to update definitions manually, but as malware threats against OS X grew, Apple last year instituted automatic daily checks to keep users' systems updated. The anti-malware tools automatically detect when a user has downloaded a file matching the signature of known malware, alerting the user of the threat and advising them to discard the downloaded file.

Article Link: Apple Quickly Updates Malware Definitions to Detect New SMS Scam Trojan
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:03 AM   #2
Joe-Diver
macrumors 6502

Gotta keep on top of it.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:06 AM   #3
Simplicated
macrumors 65816

So did this Trojan manage to bypass Gatekeeper?
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:06 AM   #4
LimeiBook86
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to LimeiBook86 Send a message via MSN to LimeiBook86 Send a message via Yahoo to LimeiBook86
Glad to see Apple keeping things up to date. I haven't heard of this scam but it sure seems like it could be quite dangerous!
LimeiBook86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:07 AM   #5
Sony311
macrumors member

And people always defended OSX for being virus/spyware free... LOL. Welcome to reality. Hopefully Apple can keep up with the variations that are no doubt going to be roaming out in the wild based on this.
Sony311 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:07 AM   #6
spyguy10709
macrumors 6502a

Again, like I always say, the only virus you can get on OSX is one you install yourself. This just prevents the user from hurting him/herself. This isn't a "virus" like everyone is saying - it's a program that phishes your personal info. It can't escalate itself privelidge-wise like with a Windows virus and become "above" your system to prevent removal or uninstallation. Nothing can do that in OSX due to it's unix base.

Also, great job Apple for staying so on top of this
spyguy10709 is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:07 AM   #7
mw360
macrumors 6502a

I don't understand how these scams can operate without the perps being instantly tracked down and thrown in a cell. Surely somebody regulates who is and isn't allowed to charge for sending SMS messages.
mw360 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:08 AM   #8
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Nicely handled, it would seem.

But really, it seems to me this is an issue phone service providers should handle. Why is the money that they handle handled so insecurely? Shouldn't our provider send us some sort of message for us to confirm that some company is going to start leaching money via our phone bill and shouldn't they block companies that they find frequently commit this kind of fraud?
ArtOfWarfare is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:08 AM   #9
spyguy10709
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicated View Post
No it doesn't. You have to put in your password into the warning that says "this application isn't approved by apple and may cause unintended operation" or something like that.
spyguy10709 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:08 AM   #10
jwsmiths
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicated View Post
They must be using some other installer that some legitimate companies have used... But this does seem like something gatekeeper should be able to stop if that isn't the case!
jwsmiths is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:09 AM   #11
spyguy10709
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony311 View Post
And people always defended OSX for being virus/spyware free... LOL. Welcome to reality. Hopefully Apple can keep up with the variations that are no doubt going to be roaming out in the wild based on this.
LOL welcome to reality - this isn't a virus at all. It's a fake installer that asks for your cell phone number. It's not an infection - it's a poor phishing attempt.
spyguy10709 is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:11 AM   #12
mw360
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
From wikipedia:

Quote:
A computer virus is a computer program that can replicate itself[1] and spread from one computer to another.
Quote:
Spyware is a type of malware (malicious software) installed on computers that collects information about users without their knowledge.
This is neither. Its a plain old scam.
mw360 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:13 AM   #13
D-a-a-n
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy10709 View Post
Again, like I always say, the only virus you can get on OSX is one you install yourself. This just prevents the user from hurting him/herself. This isn't a "virus" like everyone is saying - it's a program that phishes your personal info. It can't escalate itself privelidge-wise like with a Windows virus and become "above" your system to prevent removal or uninstallation. Nothing can do that in OSX due to it's unix base.

Could you elaborate more on that?
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:14 AM   #14
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
.....Apple has moved quickly to address the threat, adding definitions for the malware to its "Xprotect.plist" blacklist, which is part of the basic anti-malware tools Apple launched with OS X Snow Leopard in 2009.

Article Link: Apple Quickly Updates Malware Definitions to Detect New SMS Scam Trojan
Always glad to read those eight words.
macs4nw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:15 AM   #15
Joe-Diver
macrumors 6502

Quote:
And people always defended OSX for being virus/spyware free... LOL.
LOL....please learn what a virus is.....and take a look at file permissions (UID/GID)....then maybe you'll understand what is actually happening here.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:15 AM   #16
gnasher729
In Time-Out

Quote:
Since this application is neither a virus nor spyware I'd say people are quite right.
gnasher729 is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:15 AM   #17
PowerPCMacMan
Banned

In the PowerPC days, viruses and malware in OSX was unheard of. While I agree the move from PPC was a much needed one, the switch to Intel meant trouble ahead for OS X on x86 hardware. Now Apple is getting viruses and malware. Terrible if u ask me.

Quote:

Last edited by dejo; Dec 13, 2012 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Fixed quote.
PowerPCMacMan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:18 AM   #18
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Oh I send unwanted texts to people all of the time. What's the big deal?
GoCubsGo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:18 AM   #19
DeathChill
macrumors 68000

Quote:
No it doesn't. You have to put in your password into the warning that says "this application isn't approved by apple and may cause unintended operation" or something like that.
I don't think it gives you any option to open it if Gatekeeper is active. You can right click it and hit 'Open' or turn off Gatekeeper but I don't think it gives you an option to run it as most people would click okay anyways.
DeathChill is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:19 AM   #20
macrumors 65816

Somehow I am not worried about this 'Trojan'

Anything that requires me launching an installer and than requiring me to type in my password and cell phone number is not scary at all - its a lame phishing attempt that I laugh about.

I would be worried if it installs automatically in the background and than accesses my address book to get my cell phone number - but even than I would not respond to that SMS to get charged money.

Honestly, I don't get the people that did type in their cell phone number - it is almost impossible to protect those people from their own stupidity.

Anyway, glad to see that Apple is trying to protect people from their own stupidity.

Last edited by 0815; Dec 13, 2012 at 10:35 AM.
0815 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:19 AM   #21
spyguy10709
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-a-a-n View Post
Originally Posted by spyguy10709

Could you elaborate more on that?
Sure- to install something in OS X (that does anything without you clicking the icon, like a service or anything like that) requires you to put your password in a box that prevents privilege escalation (basically the OS has complete control over all applications, not the other way around - a virus). If you don't have a password, you just leave the box blank. A program can't put a password into the system, only the user into the system. This prevents programs from replicating (a virus) or taking over the system (like many trojans).
spyguy10709 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:20 AM   #22
mw360
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPCMacMan View Post
In the PowerPC days, viruses and malware in OSX was unheard of. While I agree the move from PPC was a much needed one, the switch to Intel meant trouble ahead for OS X on x86 hardware. Now Apple is getting viruses and malware. Terrible if u ask me.
How'd you explain Android malware, or iOS malware then? It's really not the CPU that's vulnerable, is the OS. And by the way, OSX, Windows 7/8, and Android aren't even that vulnerable now, it's the users that are the weak link in the chain.

Last edited by dejo; Dec 13, 2012 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Fixed quote.
mw360 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:20 AM   #23
rrahimi
macrumors member

Quote:

And again, you are wrong about Windows. Or maybe you are stuck in a time loop about a decade ago.

Nothing can "escalate itself privelidge-wise [sic]" in Windows either. You have to have the permissions and even then explicitly allow extended "privelidges" [sic]. Unless someone is a dolt and disables all the default security that exists in Windows.
rrahimi is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:20 AM   #24
spyguy10709
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0815 View Post
Somehow I am not worried about this 'Trojan'

Anything that requires me launching an installer and than requiring me to type in my cell phone number is not scary at all.

I would be worried if it installs automatically in the background and than accesses my address book to get my cell phone number - but even than I would not respond to that SMS to get charged money.

Honestly, I don't get the people that did type in there cell phone number - it is almost impossible to protect those people from their own stupidity.
It charges you like those "insert your phone number here for unlimited ringtones!! *$9.99 per month" websites.
spyguy10709 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:21 AM   #25
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
This is NOT a real trojan. Apple has zero malware. People seem to forget that.
iGrip is offline   4 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion