Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
While the bezel is thinner then the kindle, I'm not having problems with pages turning accidently. My thumb does sometimes his the touchpad but it doesn't change the page - perhaps apple added a slight delay knowing this may be the case. In any event while the bezel is thinner it doesn't appear to be a problem (at least for me)

I will say that I don't have meaty man hands and that might be part of the reason why its not a problem.

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
Totally agree. No app gap PLUS it has far superior screen. When i commute i save articles to Pocket and read as if i'm holding a paperback book and it fits easily into pockets. I have it in a leather case/stand. Bought the 16 gb back in july when they were introduced to supplement my ipad3. Btw the nexus7 is great for tv and movie watching. . Its only missing a rear camera and i'm hoping version 2 has one. Its a great size for taking pics.

I looked at the mini and the nexus 7..The shape of the nexus is better for holding in one hand and reading, and it's half the price for the same amount of memory (32 gigs). So when I wanted a more portable tablet to supplement my ipad 3 I went with the nexus. Also, it runs Firefox and Flash, so it's nice for web browsing. Android does have its advantages. Nearly all the apps and games I use on the iPad are also available for Android, so there's really no 'app gap'.

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
Totally agree. No app gap PLUS it has far superior screen. When i commute i save articles to Pocket and read as if i'm holding a paperback book and it fits easily into pockets. I have it in a leather case/stand. Bought the 16 gb back in july when they were introduced to supplement my ipad3. Btw the nexus7 is great for tv and movie watching. . Its only missing a rear camera and i'm hoping version 2 has one. Its a great size for taking pics.

The screen may be superior, but have you tried reading on the kindle app with it? Horrible experience. Line width is way too narrow, even on the widest setting on the app. Horrible waste of screen space. And the screen is much too bright on minimum. Burns a hole in my eyes when I read in the dark. Not so with the mini.

marcfiszman

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2004
Men have something between .... :D:D:D

Seriously, I can't sit comfortably with legs crossed like women do, so I was joking about that.
That's cool. I have a small one, so it's not really an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
Oh the bezel is too thin to read the book!

I find some real books also have this issue and my thumbs end up covering some words so I either have to guess the word or move my thumb.

Alas using the book in landscape mode seems to make it even worse!

I took one book back 6 times with this problem trying to get the perfect copy, maybe I'm just too fussy.

Last edited:

polbit

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2002
South Carolina
The screen may be superior, but have you tried reading on the kindle app with it? Horrible experience. Line width is way too narrow, even on the widest setting on the app. Horrible waste of screen space. And the screen is much too bright on minimum. Burns a hole in my eyes when I read in the dark. Not so with the mini.

Ever since Amazon updated the Kindle app for Android with tablet support, the margins are fine. I agree that before that it was pretty bad. As far as screen brightness, I just compared my new iPad 4 and the N7, and on lowest setting N7 is dimmer. Can you reduce the brightness on the Mini more than the iPad 4?

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
After a few more days with the mini, I've gotten used to the thinner bezel. The trick is not worrying whether or not your thumb will register as a touch on the screen. Just plant it where you feel most comfortable and don't worry about it. Voila, size of the bezel no longer matters.

rollzst

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2011
After a few more days with the mini, I've gotten used to the thinner bezel. The trick is not worrying whether or not your thumb will register as a touch on the screen. Just plant it where you feel most comfortable and don't worry about it. Voila, size of the bezel no longer matters.

You Sir are a genius!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.