Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dasc93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
Austria
I just got my new 2012 iMac 21,5 with 2,7 Ghz i5 and 16GB RAM. When its very still in my room, I can the fan. The fan is very quiet but I still can hear that. Is that normal? I had a MacBookAir before and there was no noise, just silence ;).

pizzapappa

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
I just phoned apple about mine. Have the same "problem". They will replace mine. Dont know if its necessary but it was the guy at apple who thought it was the best idea.

dasc93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
Austria
I just phoned apple about mine. Have the same "problem". They will replace mine. Dont know if its necessary but it was the guy at apple who thought it was the best idea.

I also phoned apple about this noise, they offered an exchange, but I don't wan't to put all my stuff on a new machine and the exchange with UPS is very exhausting...

Please inform me about your exchange iMac! ;)

----------

Uncan the fan. It shouldn't be canned.

I have lost the "hear" :), I wanted to write ...I can hear the fan!

pizzapappa

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
I also phoned apple about this noise, they offered an exchange, but I don't wan't to put all my stuff on a new machine and the exchange with UPS is very exhausting...

Please inform me about your exchange iMac! ;)

They told me that I could keep mine until the new one arrives. Since the only thing I have to do is to make sure I have my time machine backup ready i dont think its that much of a trouble.

Sure will! The delivery date on the new one is due to 28-31 december.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Download iStat Pro and see what speed your fan is running at. Some people are more sensitive than others with regards fan noise.

dasc93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
Austria
I already went to an Apple Reseller, to test the fan noise on 2012 iMac, but I cant here anything because the ambient noise is to loud.

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
That's why I went for the SSD, although it isn't for everybody (totally overpriced) and it's only available on the 27'' model. Once you go SSD, it's hard to go back to hot, noisy and slow HDs.. :)

dasc93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
Austria
I just tried to unmount the internal HDD (I have a Lacie Rugged TB SSD Drive for OS) and 75 percent of the noise comes from the HDD, but unfortunately Mac OSX starts the HDD after about 5 minutes. So now I'm calm, the noise is normal and I can live with it. ;)

mchoffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Asheville, NC
I could hear my fan very late last night on my 27, but only because there was absolutely no other noise around. All day yesterday I never heard it once.

sjz88

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
I can constantly hear my fan on my 27" iMac. I don't know if it's normal but I think it is. If I go near the fan outlet with my hand I can easily feel the airflow. It's running on normal 1200 rpm. It never ran faster than that so far, even when playing counterstrike global offensive on max settings.
I think theres nothing you can do about that sound. I don't really believe that some models run dead silent. At least not the i7 680mx ones.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
I can hear my fan and don't mind too much.

I too came from a MBA which was silent, so it was noticeable when I first turned on the iMac, but now I'm used to it and it seems normal.

----------

Same lol :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.