Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:25 AM   #26
TimUSCA
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
so you ask people at apple stores what brand they're most excited about?!

seriously? lol

Guess what product most people are excited about at a donut shop? Yes a donus!
That's not the point of this article. It's about WHY people like Apple's products, not IF they like Apple's products.
TimUSCA is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:25 AM   #27
MacFoodPoisoner
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
For me its just the fact I do more work.

I keep finding my self sitting behind my Mac thinking... whats next.
Same goes for my phone and the rest...

With windows I had a lot more options/possibilities... but the downside is you need to configure them all, and keep them up to date.
In the past I lost a minimum of 1 hour a day with configuring or updating or testing... With my Mac I boot it, and go to work.

There is just nothing else to do with you Mac besides working and making use of it. No more tweaking, tooling, updating, testing, searching...

So in my personal case it saves me 1 hour a day...
It used to be like this for me too, when I switched to os x way back when. Sadly my personal experience is that's not the case anymore. I 've spent countless hours for example trying to hack around or disable lion's and mountain lion's (to a lesser extent, because the shock came along with lion) "features". That and the countless bugs cropping up the past couple of years. I 've regretted taking part of my business to apple's platform, and I am certainly not recommending macs to anyone I know anymore. Let alone, "converting" (ugghhh, the religious connotations of this...) anyone.
MacFoodPoisoner is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:25 AM   #28
dennno
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Not surprising, Apple appeals to the masses with the simplicity of their software. It's not for everyone though, techies still want more options.

For mobile it's perfect, because I don't really want unnecessary widgets and other junk that clutters the screen. But for desktops features and capabilities are a must and take precedence over simplicity and lacking functionality.
dennno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:26 AM   #29
nStyle
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Today's article quotes several users on Android tablets and phones, with one saying "although they are cheaper, you have to re-buy everything." Another said "Apple's got me in now." In fact, Samsung's chief strategy officer is an Apple user for the exact same reasons.
Someone should really correct this. You don't have to "rebuy" everything on Android.
nStyle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:28 AM   #30
KdParker
macrumors 68040
 
KdParker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
so you ask people at apple stores what brand they're most excited about?!

seriously? lol

Guess what product most people are excited about at a donut shop? Yes a donus!
That is not what was said. They are looking at the traffic in the stores.

Before I bought my first iphone I never set foot in an apple store.
__________________
64g iPhone6+Space Grey; 16g iPhone6 Silver;16g iPhone5s Space Grey;
15" retina - MBP 2.6 GHZ 16 RAM;
iPad4 retina
KdParker is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:30 AM   #31
RiverCitySlim
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kludge420 View Post
If Google (and Samsung and Microsoft) want to beat Apple they need to do one simple thing:

Make a better iTunes and make it work seemlessly with Android.

Currently Android phones are a nightmare to sync and have some of the worst UX I've ever seen. I've gone back to an iPhone after a year of misery with an Android phone.
I truly hope Google never forces an iTunes like system on it's users. If they do I'll be looking for another platform.
RiverCitySlim is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:31 AM   #32
tdhurst
macrumors 68040
 
tdhurst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFoodPoisoner View Post
Good luck to anyone who might have this guy as a lawyer in the future, they are going to need it...

Comparing a phone ui with that of a windows pc... Does a mac have any less buttons than a windows pc?

What's with people getting interviewed for reuters or such sites that they are almost uniformly morons, is it because people who perk up and volunteer to offer their precious opinions to news sites are usually rather vapid?
Every elderly person I've met thinks Windows is far more confusing looking than OS X.
__________________
Twitter - tdhurst
I blog here.
2013 13" rMBP i5, 2.4 c2d Mac Mini, iPhone 5, Apple TV 3.
tdhurst is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:35 AM   #33
RiverCitySlim
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by nStyle View Post
Someone should really correct this. You don't have to "rebuy" everything on Android.
I assume they meant they would need to re-buy their apps and content if they were to switch from iOS to another platform.
RiverCitySlim is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:36 AM   #34
h1r0ll3r
macrumors 68040
 
h1r0ll3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Maryland
I asked 17 people in a Microsoft store what product they were most excited about this year. They said iPads.
__________________
15" MBP iPad (3rd Gen) iPod Nano (6th Gen) & 160GB Classic ATV iPhone 6+
h1r0ll3r is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:40 AM   #35
iGrip
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
It's the Ecosystem, Stupid!

With Apple's iOS rapidly losing market share, and with Android increasingly dominating in sales, how long will devs keep supporting the underdog?

It's the Ecosystem, stupid. And for Apple to remain on top of the ecosystem wars, it has two choices: Get back its lost market share, or spend huge amounts on R&D to make lots of exclusive, "must-have" software in-house, like they were forced to do with maps.

Without market share, the third-party devs will pay as much attention to iOs as they do to OSX. IOW, almost none.
iGrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:48 AM   #36
killerbee79
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Wisconsin
WOW, you interview 70 shoppers worldwide???? That is a joke of a sample size. With that number of people talked to you are pretty much manufacturing the results. It would be like me going to my Apple store and asking 1 shopper, that would be the equivalent to what this survey did.

If you want to make a claim like they are at least ask a number in the thousands.
killerbee79 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:52 AM   #37
NAG
macrumors 68030
 
NAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: /usr/local/apps/nag
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
With Apple's iOS rapidly losing market share, and with Android increasingly dominating in sales, how long will devs keep supporting the underdog?

It's the Ecosystem, stupid. And for Apple to remain on top of the ecosystem wars, it has two choices: Get back its lost market share, or spend huge amounts on R&D to make lots of exclusive, "must-have" software in-house, like they were forced to do with maps.

Without market share, the third-party devs will pay as much attention to iOs as they do to OSX. IOW, almost none.
You conflate marketshare with people actively using the devices as computers. So far, Android cannot convert marketshare to usage (e.g. iOS usage stats for Black Friday shopping). This is doubly bad if they use a sell the blades business model like Amazon where they do not profit unless people use the device.

As far as Maps, you are again confusing Google vs Apple as far as bargaining position as well as the fact that Maps is built in compared to other companies (Google wanted concessions as far as access to user info). Even then Google quickly brought a Maps app to market and they even admitted it was superior to what they have on Android as far as UI. So your argument doesn't hold water.

Last edited by NAG; Dec 13, 2012 at 11:58 AM.
NAG is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:54 AM   #38
DMVillain
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
While 70 is a very small (and possibly bias) sample size, this is definitely true for me. I'm sure that phones like the Samsung Note do more, but I'm too deep in the ecosystem (by choice) to want to care.
__________________
Too many products to list. I just want an iPad Pro that runs OSXi.
DMVillain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:59 AM   #39
Bchagey
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
I like apple products for numerous reasons..but one in particular is software and software updates..my iPad 2 is running iOS 6 and will probably run iOS 7 and 8.. If it was an android tablet from a year or 2 ago it would not be receiving updates and would be left behind..
Bchagey is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:03 PM   #40
Kludge420
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCitySlim View Post
I truly hope Google never forces an iTunes like system on it's users. If they do I'll be looking for another platform.
Sorry, I did a bad job of expressing my point. iTunes as in a central app to download music, podcasts, apps, etc. that will automatically sync with my phones. Plug it in and it works; no muss, no fuss.
Kludge420 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:04 PM   #41
jayducharme
macrumors 68020
 
jayducharme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The thick of it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steviejobz View Post
It most certainly is a tax, not in the literal sense but a mandatory premium you pay now that you are in the ecosystem because it is very tough to leave.
But how is this different from any other platform? If you have hundreds or thousands of dollars invested in Windows apps and hardware, how likely are you to switch to Apple? If you have an Android device and lots of apps for that, will you dump it all and buy an iPad? Or do you look for an OS that lets you have the best of both worlds (such as running Windows virtualized on a Mac)?
jayducharme is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:06 PM   #42
stepshows
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Second!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCaleb View Post
I like apple only because of their operating systems.
Apple just makes better products in general. They delivered the iPhone at the right time--when others were still fumbling with their 10 different versions-per-year and buy-one-get-5-free strategies. Just make it better and the eco system will practically build itself from the millions of satisfied users.
stepshows is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:07 PM   #43
Ubele
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFoodPoisoner View Post
Good luck to anyone who might have this guy as a lawyer in the future, they are going to need it...

Comparing a phone ui with that of a windows pc... Does a mac have any less buttons than a windows pc?

What's with people getting interviewed for reuters or such sites that they are almost uniformly morons, is it because people who perk up and volunteer to offer their precious opinions to news sites are usually rather vapid?
In all fairness, I doubt that the guy was comparing the iPhone to a Windows PC, because I can't imagine a 27-year-old law student being that clueless. My guess is that the reporter talked with him briefly about the iPhone vs. competitors' phones, and then about Macs vs. Windows PCs, and then selected one sentence from each part of the conversation. Reporters quote people out of context all the time.
Ubele is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:09 PM   #44
johncrab
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
People (including me) buy Apple products because they work. I know I won't be queuing up to return a dead piece of junk or something that doesn't do what the manufacturer says it will do. Issues are fixed by remote control and new features are added. I'm not abandoned as soon as my credit card is swiped. That's why Apple products sell. Why should I buy 2-5 pieces of cheap junk hoping to get something that will do what I need when I can get it right the first time?
johncrab is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:10 PM   #45
aristotle
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCitySlim View Post
I truly hope Google never forces an iTunes like system on it's users. If they do I'll be looking for another platform.
*WHOOOSH*

Did you hear that sound? I think the person you were replying to was that Android lacks an easy way for average people to manage their devices and the apps stored on them. They are asking for an easier experience for "them".

For all your posturing, I bet that you use Google play and every other google service. All this talk of "choice" is marketing bullcrap anyway. You "can" use alternatives but you can also shove toothpicks under your fingernails too.

If I was an Android user, I would probably use the easiest and most comprehensive options available.

The real "choice" you have is the platform you choose. Everything else is an illusion.

Realistically, on iOS, you have a lot of choice for book stores and I would gain nothing but headaches from security risks, scams and incompatibility with multiple stores for apps.
__________________
15" Retina MBP, 2.7 Ghz Quad Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 768 GB SSD (10.9.2)
24" iMac, 2.8 GHz, 4GB RAM, 320 GB HD; 128 GB iPad Air LTE (iOS 7.0.4); 64 GB iPhone 5S (iOS 7.1.1)
aristotle is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:10 PM   #46
NAG
macrumors 68030
 
NAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: /usr/local/apps/nag
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayducharme View Post
But how is this different from any other platform? If you have hundreds or thousands of dollars invested in Windows apps and hardware, how likely are you to switch to Apple? If you have an Android device and lots of apps for that, will you dump it all and buy an iPad? Or do you look for an OS that lets you have the best of both worlds (such as running Windows virtualized on a Mac)?
Either they have to have a third party store like Steam where you get versions for multiple platforms or they have to have the ability to give discounts based on owning software for the competing platform (e.g. I think Adobe had a cross platform discount, not sure now because I stopped caring). The App Store won't allow any of this because they don't have to (believe me, Apple will instantly change the rules if they start losing people in enough quantity). Don't know if the Google Play store has the ability to give people discounts based on owning iOS software.
NAG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:13 PM   #47
Rogifan
macrumors G3
 
Rogifan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerbee79 View Post
WOW, you interview 70 shoppers worldwide???? That is a joke of a sample size. With that number of people talked to you are pretty much manufacturing the results. It would be like me going to my Apple store and asking 1 shopper, that would be the equivalent to what this survey did.

If you want to make a claim like they are at least ask a number in the thousands.
Of course if these 70 people said they hated Apple's products and planned to jump ship no one would give a hoot about the sample size and would proclaim The end of Apple.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCitySlim View Post
I truly hope Google never forces an iTunes like system on it's users. If they do I'll be looking for another platform.
Hmmm...I can't remember the last time I used iTunes for anything. Maybe it was when I got my iPhone 5 and set it up off my 4S backup. Otherwise I never use it.
__________________
"When we se something huge and powerful we aspire to make it small and meaningful." Jony Ive 
Rogifan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:14 PM   #48
Loge
macrumors 68000
 
Loge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: England
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Earlier this week, a questionable Reuters article compared Apple's lock-in ecosystem with a "tax" that users are required to pay to have access to their previously purchased apps and content. Aside from the misuse of the word "tax", that piece was correct in that Apple has locked in its users.
Regarding content, you are certainly not locked in to music files, and the lock-in for movies/video/books results from the DRM which is not Apple's fault.
Loge is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:18 PM   #49
NAG
macrumors 68030
 
NAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: /usr/local/apps/nag
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loge View Post
Regarding content, you are certainly not locked in to music files, and the lock-in for movies/video/books results from the DRM which is not Apple's fault.
iCloud represents the bigger lock in here. If people start using iOS devices independent from their computers they won't even have local copies of these things anymore. As much as I like the Apple ecosystem, it would be nice if there was some ability to export from iCloud. This would apply to things like your word processing documents, not just your music, videos and apps.
NAG is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:20 PM   #50
TallManNY
macrumors 68020
 
TallManNY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderDude View Post
I was really expecting it to be the price... I mean:
The way they slimmed down the iMac, removed features and ruined it's magnificent sound only to increase it the completely justified 200 ($260) extra is totally worth it. I mean, my desk thrilled about the weight reduction...

Is the sound worse on the new iMac? That is disturbing. And if so, it is another reason I'm happy with my 2011 iMac. I wonder if the 2011's resale value is going to remain higher because it is the last iMac with a DVD player. And if the sound is better as well, hmmm.
__________________
Mid-2011 3.1GHz i5 iMac (6970m); HP Spectre (Win 8.1)
BBRY Q10; iPhone 6; iPad Mini-R
Apple Stockholder (a nice dividend, stock buybacks and cutting edge innovation? yes please!)
TallManNY is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple Ecosystem or Microsoft Ecosystem Damian433 Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 14 Nov 9, 2013 10:23 AM
Samsung ecosystem - replace my iOS ecosystem? xraydoc Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 10 Aug 14, 2013 03:36 PM
How big is your Apple ecosystem? pmontanarella iCloud and Apple Services 46 May 21, 2013 02:09 AM
Thinking of Going Back to an All Apple Ecosystem ShiggyMiyamoto iPhone 35 Apr 2, 2013 09:13 PM
Apple's Television - an ecosystem in need? iOrbit Apple TV and Home Theater 5 Sep 12, 2012 11:27 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:23 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC