Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdegid

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
Me likey a lot

and the shake your phone to send feedback made me laugh (in the settings)
:D

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
I just tried searching for a contact, no luck. You're right, if it can't get my list of places, it's useless. Ok. Both apps are useless..... except, I live in Dallas, where the Apple data is really good, so, congrats Apple, you win this round.

Ah, but Google has an SDK that allows developers to link to Google Maps for locations and directions.

All Apple has to do is allow Address Book to link to Google Maps via this SDK.

Like that's going to happen!?!

urbanslaughter1997

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2007
Pretty noble of Google, stepping in and saving Apple's ass after all that has happened in the last couple of years. Kudos!

LOL, yes, those billionaires over at Google are noble gentlemen. It has nothing to do with the fact that IOS is the most widely used OS and they need the advertising dollars. Don't OD on the Kool-aid

WDE87

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2012
voice searching places and feedback/responses integrated into the app would be awesome. like they have recently added into the regular 'Google' app.

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Nice Work!

Nice Work Google!
Just keep updating the Street Views. I don't want to have to look at my house being worked on forever.:D

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
here's the bottom line:

1. google maps is better than apple maps, and frankly it always will be. read in the plex and you will understand how no company will ever be able to out do google on search, maps, and big data.

2. the maps fiasco was apple's fault, they didn't want to let google call the maps app "google maps" so google didn't want to give them voice nav. to those of you who think apple won, they didn't.. google got its app, its branding, its data collection, requires everyone who wants to use the app to have a gmail/google+ account and will be able to display ads eventually.. and google comes out looking like a savior. what did apple get? they didn't get anything.. they lost the google maps engine for their app, they didn't get googles voice nav, they spent a fortune developing their own maps app, a massive backlash, an avalanche of bad press, a corporate shake up, and they look incompetent to boot.

3. ultimately we win, we get one of the best features of android on our iphones and ipads. unfortunately though because of apples hardline stance on app integration we can't get stuff like google now we just get google voice search. we can't use google voice recognition (which blows siri out of the water) for core apps like phone, messages, calendar, reminders, music, etc.. but thats only because apple won't let it!

Not really sure I buy into the google maps is better, but for me Apple maps is great and I guess it is nice to have a back up.

h3nG

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2010
Best app in the AppStore

Hands down.

This app really shows what Google has to offer in terms of software capabilities. The interface is absolutely beautiful and highly intuitive. It's much smoother than iOS Maps on my 4S.

The only grip I have is that everything done within iOS still defaults to one of Apple's apps, so clicking on an address will open up iOS Maps instead of Google Maps.

The amount of fanboyism going on in this forum is laughable. No one really knows how the deal with Apple and Google went down...so stop speculating. Don't be mad how things ended up. Be thankful that we now have the best Maps App ever, and another formative backup (iOS maps).

Morehouse1982

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
Personal Preference

It is all going to boil down to personal preference. Personally, I've never had any issues with Apple Maps as far as location accuracy and points of interest. After playing around with the new Google Maps app, I still like the Apple Maps interface more, especially when it comes to turn by turn navigation. I find it kind of aggravating that while using turn by turn in the Google Maps app, the map wont display in the background of the lock screen. It's annoying having to swipe to unlock the iPhone in order to view the map while using turn by navigation. But if you rely on public transportation heavily, the Google Maps app will more than satisfy you in that regard. At the end of the day, having competition and options are good things.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
How do you partner with a company who has made itself your biggest competitor - by supplying free arms to Asian hardware companies to attack your core business (hardware sales)?

Google can't have things both ways.

Agreed. I sure like the apple UI much better, and since I haven't had any bad mapping experiences, i don't have any reason to change.

Nice to have a back up - I guess.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Just downloaded it on my 5. Runs quite nicely I must say. I don't see the stuttering others mentioned (and I'm pretty picky about that). It's not AS smooth as Apple Maps, but close enough. Loving the street view and POI data. Traffic is great.

Frankly I like Apple Maps for a lot of reasons too. So now I will have two options. Choice is great. Hats off to Google for sticking this out and making it happen. Hats off to Apple for having the balls to do their own maps (and making Google step up their iOS game), the humility to admit that Apple Maps had faults, and the willingness to allow native Google Maps back into the App Store, even though it competes directly with Apple Maps in that it has navigation and a way to link from other apps, because it's best for the customer.

And on top of that, I still believe Apple Maps will do well in the long run as it is improved. By letting Google back in, Apple is saying "we will compete for users on the merits of the software itself, not by locking out the competition". Bravo!

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
so many of you seriously don't get it, apple did not get their way, google did. apple wanted google to provide voice navigation in the APPLE app. google said no, it wanted branding (ie for the app to be called Google Maps instead of Maps) and wanted to be able to display revenue generating ads in the app. basically google wanted its own ios app. APPLE did not agree to these conditions and instead developed their own app, which failed, and paved the way for google to release their app with everything they wanted (and more), bathed in a tsunami of positive press and thanks from iphone users. google could not have played this better, apple could not have played this worse.

google got what it wanted and the most positive press its gotten in years. apple got nothing it wanted and the most negative press it's gotten in years. it's mind boggling to me that some people don't understand this.

So if Microsoft brings office to the iPad, Apple isn't getting anything there either. Because it is only the App developer that wins?

Google could've released a mapping App before this that could've done all you said, including turn-by-turn. But they wanted their own Android products to have an improved capability. Not bring Tunr-by-Turn to the iPhone was a deliberate choice to hobble capabilities of the iPhone. Now iPhone users are elated with the capability that they have (on their iPhone), that Google refused to provide until Apple pulled them. The iPhone now has a capability that Google earlier would not provide. Users don't care if it says "Google" in small font on the map. Now the iPhone has the same capability that the Android does, and no users will switch phones as a result of that absence. Hard to see how this is hurting Apple. The want to sell phones. They are selling them in record numbers.

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Yes. Apple called Google's bluff frankly - give us Turn-by-turn, and all features that you provide other hardware, or we will go it alone. Less than half a year later, Google has their Maps App back on the iPhone with all the features that Apple desired and it is better than the Android version. If anyone chose not to buy an iPhone for absence of Google Maps, this omitted that failing. No one out there is choosing not to buy an iPhone because there has been a revamping of Apple's management structure. And Apple developing a mapping structure is a very good thing. They will continue to develop their Map application, in parallel, with no impact on sales. And 5 years from now, they will have a backup plan and capability in case there is another falling out with Google. It is too important of a feature in a smart phone for Apple not to create an in-house capability, and have it ready and polished.

You are misinformed. Google was perfectly willing to provide turn-by-turn direction for an Apple-created Maps app that uses Google's data. However, there was a disagreement over which company would benefit from the USER DATA created by using that feature (as well as general mapping user data) going forward.

So, here we are... two competing Maps apps. The Google app will prove to be the most popular (by a HUGE margin) and Apple STILL won't be getting the amount of user data it needs. And Apple has a big black eye over the whole mess to boot.

Sometimes, it's ridiculous to try to reinvent the wheel. Particularly when the existing wheel is a really really good wheel!

Mark

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Hands down.

This app really shows what Google has to offer in terms of software capabilities. The interface is absolutely beautiful and highly intuitive. It's much smoother than iOS Maps on my 4S.

The only grip I have is that everything done within iOS still defaults to one of Apple's apps, so clicking on an address will open up iOS Maps instead of Google Maps.

The amount of fanboyism going on in this forum is laughable. No one really knows how the deal with Apple and Google went down...so stop speculating. Don't be mad how things ended up. Be thankful that we now have the best Maps App ever, and another formative backup (iOS maps).

It is the other way around for me (Apple Maps primary with Google Maps as backup), but I agree we have 2 map apps to choose from.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
This has to be a bad day for the paid voice-guidance navigation apps like MotionX. I love MotionX; but sadly for them, I don't see any need to keep my voice guidance subscription active any longer. It was easy to justify since MotionX's POI database is huge and accurate compared to Apple Maps's database; but Google just spanked both of them with this release.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
so many of you seriously don't get it, apple did not get their way, google did. apple wanted google to provide voice navigation in the APPLE app. google said no, it wanted branding (ie for the app to be called Google Maps instead of Maps) and wanted to be able to display revenue generating ads in the app. basically google wanted its own ios app. APPLE did not agree to these conditions and instead developed their own app, which failed, and paved the way for google to release their app with everything they wanted (and more), bathed in a tsunami of positive press and thanks from iphone users. google could not have played this better, apple could not have played this worse.

google got what it wanted and the most positive press its gotten in years. apple got nothing it wanted and the most negative press it's gotten in years. it's mind boggling to me that some people don't understand this.

This phone is still selling like hot cakes, so it didn't affect them alot.

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
You are misinformed. Google was perfectly willing to provide turn-by-turn direction for an Apple-created Maps app that uses Google's data. However, there was a disagreement over which company would benefit from the USER DATA created by using that feature (as well as general mapping user data) going forward.

So, here we are... two competing Maps apps. The Google app will prove to be the most popular (by a HUGE margin) and Apple STILL won't be getting the amount of user data it needs. And Apple has a big black eye over the whole mess to boot.

Sometimes, it's ridiculous to try to reinvent the wheel. Particularly when the existing wheel is a really really good wheel!

Mark
Your convenient omission is in the fact that Google always could've provided a stand-alone Map and Nav App that complied with the same rules every other developer uses. They deliberately did not chose that option. Now they have brought the same, and even better capability (by their admission) to the iPhone. The best Google mapping is on the iPhone now, not an Android. That press is certainly not negative for Apple.

makdeniss

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2011
European Union
Sure it actually takes me where I want to go, but it's butt ugly. The street labels are as small as Gollum's loin cloth, but at least the streets are labeled. The interface is entirely non-intuitive but I usually manage to perform the right gesture to reveal the secret hidden panel with the feature I want within 4 or 5 tries. In the end, Gollum's goal isn't to help you destroy the ring, but to get it back, and Google's goal isn't to improve your iPhone, it's to get you to buy android, other-wise, they would have designed an iOS app instead of using entirely Android-isms in the UI. Fortunately, Android UI is awful so I think people are gonna realize why they keep their iPhones. End lesson: Google knows location data and Apple knows interfaces. Too bad the Lady of the Wood couldn't have been Frodo's guide to Mordor.
Edit: Can't find my contacts? Seriously?

You are wrong.

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
How do you partner with a company who has made itself your biggest competitor - by supplying free arms to Asian hardware companies to attack your core business (hardware sales)?

Google can't have things both ways.

In the case of Maps, the competition (and disagreement) was all about user data collection. Which company got control of the user data generated by Maps usage. I agree that it's a bit of a no-win situation for Apple.

But the LAST thing you do is make your product the laughing stock of forums, blogs, Facebook and late-night television shows. And that's EXACTLY what Apple did by releasing its crappy Maps app. The loss of Street View alone should have been enough to tell any Apple executive (that was paying any attention at all) that it was a big mistake.

If Apple could somehow, magically, release a Maps App that is equivalent to the product offered by Google, I'd be onboard with that. I'm an Apple fan and I love Apple products. But Maps is what Google does. THEY are the experts at it. And every iOS users deserves the BEST tool for the job. PERIOD.

Mark

iphoneclassic

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
USA
It even has traffic info for surface streets. It is very detailed with every intersection,entry/exit ramps properly color coded.

BTW who is the traffic source for Apple Maps. It has limited coverage and also wrong. Everything is yellow.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Nice try.

We still have Google's maps on one older iPhone (a 3GS) and the maps clearly say "Google" at the bottom of every map image. There was never any mystery as to the source.

Nice try? Huh? :confused: I was clearly saying that it is fair to want branding; there is nothing to read between the lines, if that is what you are doing. How much branding, I am not sure. The "old" maps had a small watermark in the corner of the map. I can only assume Google wanted more than this. How much more? We will likely never know.

noiseordinance

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
You should check out the rest to forum before you make that statement.

Most US people don't have issues with Apple maps.

The people who depend on a solid GPS program DO have a problem with Apple Maps. I'd say most people in the US don't even use iPhone so you are right on with your point.

I live in Houston, the fourth largest city in the US. I've used Apple maps seven times. One time I got where I needed, and that was by luck (Apple maps said that Frys electronics was on a block caddy corner to where it actually was). Two of the times it took me to business locations that don't exist. Two other times it put me on the freeway and as I passed by the location it said I was there. The other times I don't recall specifically but it wasn't good. If Apple maps hasn't figured out the fourth biggest city in the US, I can combine my experience with the overwhelming sentiment of other Apple maps users to conclude that it is one of the largest blunders Apple ever made, and probably the worst GPS system ever devised. In one month's time I had more problems with Apple maps than three years of Google maps (in Texas, California, Oregon, and a cross country trip or two).

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
But the LAST thing you do is make your product the laughing stock of forums, blogs, Facebook and late-night television shows. And that's EXACTLY what Apple did by releasing its crappy Maps app. The loss of Street View alone should have been enough to tell any Apple executive (that was paying any attention at all) that it was a big mistake.

And if your wife sleeps with your best friend, hey, that's embarrassing too. Doesn't mean you pretend it didn't happen.

Apple cannot rely on Google for critical services now that Google has become a direct competitor. No, Apple Maps weren't ready, and that's embarrassing. That said, it's something that must be done. You can't just let Google remain a house guest now that it's slept with your wife. And that's exactly what Google is doing. Providing a "free" way for Asian hardware manufacturers to be competitive with Apple, while wanting to stay in Apple's good graces. Ain't gonna happen.

Apple has to divest itself of Google services as quickly and as thoroughly as possible. Same with search. Google has search. Microsoft has search. Apple needs search.

The Google Boys started this particular war.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.