Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
The only way yahoo iCould or outlook can be populated into gmail is to setup forwarding to a gmail account, then setup gmail to send from one of those above accounts.
Outlook? Outlook is just another email client. It is not an email provider like gmail or yahoo mail. Anything in Outlook can just as easily be configured to go to gmail.

Yahoo or iCloud can most certainly be absorbed into Gmail as well. I have 4 email addresses that are absorbed into gmail, in addition to my gmail address. When I reply to an email sent to any of those addresses the gmail app automatically uses the correct "send from" address so if the recipient replies it does not go back to gmail. iOS does not do that unless I manually add all those email accounts, in which case I could not always reply due to SMTP restrictions on a few of the accounts. It's easier for me to just use gmail as a catch-all.

Michael

unlinked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Ireland
Free Google Apps for Your Domain has been discontinued

I didn't think that was the personal version since the reporting referred to it as Google Apps for business. Shame. $50 a year is a little steep. Not quite as good an idea as it was last week.

kmpoboy2

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Alabama
That is what I have been doing for years. Everything is pulled in to gmail. Heck, it is good to do that just for better spam control. But what sucks about using the iOS Mail app is that it doesn't support Gmail's send from feature. This has led me to, when forgetting to switch to the iOS Gmail app or Safari, to reply to work emails with my gmail.com address. Ugh.

Michael

Don't know if you tried this already but, you can set up the send from feature going from to m.google.com/sync from the iOS browser and setting up gmail with exchange.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Don't know if you tried this already but, you can set up the send from feature going from to m.google.com/sync from the iOS browser and setting up gmail with exchange.
I am only talking about the iOS app and its inability to send from another email account that has been setup in gmail.

I already have gmail on iOS setup as exchange, and all my email accounts configured for gmail, but that won't help in iOS Mail app. There is no send as option there other than for accounts that are setup in iOS. And I am not about to do that when gmail aggregates the mail much better, and keeps out spam better.

Finally, ever since Google added it for the mobile version of Gmail (via a browser) I have used that to "send as" when needed. But it is a pain to switch to the browser every time I need to that. The Gmail app for iOS now also allows "send as" but because iOS doesn't allow any other app but its own to be the default email app that is not really workable for me either.

Hope I made that clear!

Michael

monkey28rb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Is there a reason why this will not work for you? It works great for me.

I have that setup right now.. I just find a delay between the message is sent to iCloud and received to gmail. Not only that, gmail seems to mark a lot of my email as spam, so I never see them come in.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
I have that setup right now.. I just find a delay between the message is sent to iCloud and received to gmail. Not only that, gmail seems to mark a lot of my email as spam, so I never see them come in.

Is that delay a big problem?

Regarding spam, I guess you can go into your spam folder and mark them as not spam. Google will then learn over time. I haven't noticed any false positives when I forwarded my email. My email is with shaw.ca.

monkey28rb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Is that delay a big problem?

Regarding spam, I guess you can go into your spam folder and mark them as not spam. Google will then learn over time. I haven't noticed any false positives when I forwarded my email. My email is with shaw.ca.

No its just not immediate how I would like. The email experience on Android is just something I will need to get used to.

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
Don't know what era you are from but the gaudy colors, shading, and icons of the iOS mail app look like something out of the early 1990s. It also is not grouped well, where are my threaded messages? The Android Gmail app is so much more modern looking with properly grouped messages. It is also much easier to use especially with the introduction of swiping to delete or archive a message.

The Android client is even worse than what you describe iOS as. iOS is far superior in terms of usage. It is hard to pick up an Android device and know how to use the email client easily.

Even the GMAIL app is cluttered and busy. Clunky is the best word to describe it.

monkey28rb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
The Android client is even worse than what you describe iOS as. iOS is far superior in terms of usage. It is hard to pick up an Android device and know how to use the email client easily.

Even the GMAIL app is cluttered and busy. Clunky is the best word to describe it.

I would have to agree.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.