Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
And what is that range ? I heard about 30 feet.. I'm thinking about a WiiU, but how do games look on that pad? I think they've could used a higher rez screen than 480p.

480p is 640 x 480

The wii u gamepad is 854 x 480 which is over a 100,000 more pixels ;-)

Even though its lower res than the ipad mini or even PS-Vita it actually is a really nice screen and games on its screen look very well indeed.

If the resolution of the gamepad assures there is no lag between console and gamepad - its was a worthwhile trade off.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
And what is that range ? I heard about 30 feet.. I'm thinking about a WiiU, but how do games look on that pad? I think they've could used a higher rez screen than 480p.

Range is lower I think... about 20 feet and any obstruction (walls) attenuates the signal further. You can use 20 feet or 1 room over as a benchmark.

Range is not that great but I think it's intentional. With TVii and remote control capabilities, I'd imagine Nintendo would want the Gamepad to be chained to the TV so it's there when people need it.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Question:

I tried the unit at Target. Seems the Tablet Controller is rather big.

Can you use a different controller with the game, and use the Tablet as extra game info (like a map in FPS) and have that just sitting next to you?

Thanks....

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
So New Mario is good huh! There seems to be a new one out every 1-2 years but I like how refined they're getting and how fun they are in multiplayer. Haven't tried 5 player on it yet but it might be something to get going over Christmas!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Question:

Can you use a different controller with the game, and use the Tablet as extra game info (like a map in FPS) and have that just sitting next to you?

Thanks....

For some games yes you can use the pro controller pad instead. Other games require the gamepad.

TedM

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
California
To be honest, I've been using it as an Über-Gameboy so far. Playing Mario on the controller whilst having Star Trek on the telly is awesome and totally geektastic. Obviously things like ZombiU and Aliens are going to require a combination of controller and TV, and work much better on the bigger screen. But for platform games like Mario or Rayman I'm quite happy with my new Gameboy :p
:apple:

Man the things people are saying that are cool don't appeal to me. Why would I want an uber gameboy... :[

Last edited:

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Man the things people are saying that a cool don't appeal to me. Why would I want an uber gameboy... :[

It's far from a uber gameboy. I suggest you do a little research before posting unless you're just trying to troll, in which case I guess you succeeded. :rolleyes:

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Question:

Thanks....

You don't even need the tablet to turn the machine on with some games. For super Mario, you just grab an old remote, turn it on, choose your game and play.

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
I picked up the Wii U this week.

My initial impression of the hardware is very nice. The gamepad feels good when playing. The quality of the screen on the gamepad is pretty decent.

The system software needs some refinement but works good so far. I did have one lockup, however.

I've only played Super Mario so far (we also got Nintendoland as a pack in, but haven't tried it yet). The graphics on this game look fantastic in HD. As far as gameplay - the family played it together after dinner and I think we all had fun. My wife approves so far.

My son is playing Mario just on the gamepad now.

My Nintendo ID is bbrossard (the same as my PSN and Live ID).

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
As for why would I be playing on the Wii U gamepad. Simples. I wanted to play Assassins Creed 3 which I picked up yesterday, but I also wanted to watch Strictly Come Dancing & X-Factor Final's on the TV, so I used the wii U's gamepad for Assassins Creed 3 and it looked great on it, lower res and all - it looked really good on it. Now you can't tell me I'm doing something wrong here surely, as that was the whole point of the gamepad screen that if you wanted to use the TV for something else.

That's interesting. That's part of the *potential* disruptive tech that the WiiU brings, that we just won't be able to judge until...well, until we try it out ourselves for months/a year or more. It is interesting that playing a game doesn't mean having to isolate yourself anymore. But, usually, that's what I want to do!

Not ready to do any reviews yet, but, was playing Assassin's Creed III, and noticed there is a 3D mode (for all consoles). WTF? I thought...so I tried it out, and the indoors scenes were stunning. Weirdly, the outdoors scenes were blurry. I was going to try it again, just in case something weird was going on.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It's been sitting collecting dust since about a week after launch.

Yup.

*waits patiently until new Mario/Zelda/Animal Crossing/Metroid/DK comes out*

I've been playing mine alright, but mixing it with some PS Allstars on PS3 & Vita, lego lord of the rings PS3 (love lego games, can't wait for lego undercover), Hitman, Darksiders 2 on PC :). So many games at the moment.

Oh I played about 90 minutes of Little Inferno today. God it's compulsively addictive. Def worth a download for Wii U.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
I'm enjoying NSMBU, but I really want to try ZombiU to see how it is. I plan on investing in it pretty soon. I love the system, but it is in desperate need of an update to speed up its menus.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I bought Epic Micey 2 despite the damning reviews and reports of major framerate issues on the wii u version.

Now not sure if its patched or the recent Wii U update has done something but I haven't experienced the technical issues seen in reviews or even captured on YouTube videos. So I'm not sure what the story is there, but I'm very happy that its grand here :)

And despite the generic astute, I actually like the game. To me its only as generic a platformer as Call of Duty : Black Ops 2 is a generic FPS in most regards.

A case of different boats for different folks.

----

Skylanders Giants is cool too, I have 16 characters and the game is might fun. I'm playing on hard and will probably replay on hardcore. Might expand this to 18 before the weekend as I might pick up a couple of prism characters (still have some credit at GameStop) :)

Maybe I'm mellowing as I get older but I'm finding more fun and enjoyment in these family orientated games than ith a lot f the recent big gun AAA blockbusters.

----

Lego Lord if the Rings & PS All Stars are rocking my PS3 at the moment. Can't wait for Lego undercover fr the Wii U.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The TV remote control app is there built in, but I guess you mean TVii which is more akin to a programme guide for your devices, this is not working yet.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
The TV remote control app is there built in, but I guess you mean TVii which is more akin to a programme guide for your devices, this is not working yet.

Yes I goofed. I thought the app was available but as I just saw, it still says coming in December.

-SD-

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Peterborough, UK
I'm quite disappointed that Lego City: Undercover isn't coming out until next year. I was hoping to get that as part of the boy's Xmas present. It looks like Rayman has also been delayed until the beginning of March.

This whole 'launch window' business is complete and utter rubbish. Either the games are out for Xmas, or they're not. Make up your minds and be a little more honest with your customers.

I'm just glad I managed to get hold of Skylanders Giants for the U. That'll keep my son occupied until Lego and Rayman are out. As for myself, I have ZombiU to keep me busy and I reckon I'll get Batman too. The next thing I'm really looking forward to is Aliens at the end of February.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'm quite disappointed that Lego City: Undercover isn't coming out until next year. I was hoping to get that as part of the boy's Xmas present. It looks like Rayman has also been delayed until the beginning of March.

This whole 'launch window' business is complete and utter rubbish. Either the games are out for Xmas, or they're not. Make up your minds and be a little more honest with your customers.

I'm just glad I managed to get hold of Skylanders Giants for the U. That'll keep my son occupied until Lego and Rayman are out. As for myself, I have ZombiU to keep me busy and I reckon I'll get Batman too. The next thing I'm really looking forward to is Aliens at the end of February.

Hope your not looking forward to Aliens on the Wii U in February though, as sadly its just 360 / PS3 & PC that is released in Feb, the Wii U launch date is TBA but will be sometime after :(

Likewise I'm very disappointed that Rayman Legends and Lego are not out sooner too. I'm just downloading the Rayman demo, but sadly Demo's on the Wii U are 'usage limited' too, so you can only play them a certain number of times before they stop working :(

With Rayman its 15 times, so now we have to ration our demo sessions too :(

Skylanders is good fun :) I have a feeling it collecting them could become an addiction.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
WTF.. Oh how I don't want a WiiU...

What the f...
That's absolutely retarded. Why Nintendo, why?

God only knows !!! Nintendo think they are gods clearly ;-)

It's a concern, and yeah its really annoying.

My other gripes remain in that I must admit I'm still nervous about the fact e-Shop content is locked to your hardware despite nintendo introducing usertags/id's.

Add the fact that I can't view or download any adult rated games until the hours of 11pm - 3am because they lock out the content between those hours is yet another really annoying predicament. One that Nintendo blames on German law, but one that could have easily have been remedied by having 18 rated content require a pin authorisation.

As ever with Nintendo, for everything I find I'm really liking about the new system and when it genuinely looks like Nintendo are learning from past faux-pa's , they screw it up with quite rather big badly conceived and frustrating moves.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.