Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:26 AM   #101
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake1 View Post
Has anyone tried nplayer? I've found it quite good. On par with avplayer hd I would say.
It has some excellent features like multi-subs at the same time and HW MKV playback. However, its H.264 decoder is still way worse than that of AVPlayer, yaPlayer and the like.

(more info: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1490454 )
Menneisyys2 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:48 AM   #102
wake1
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Ok. Thanks for reply. So what is the one you recommend the most? I mainly play mp4, and 720p mkvs.

Last edited by wake1; Dec 12, 2012 at 05:54 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake
wake1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:17 AM   #103
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake1 View Post
Ok. Thanks for reply. So what is the one you recommend the most? I mainly play mp4, and 720p mkvs.
Well, if you only play back mp4's and MKV's (which means strictly hardware playback), you won't suffer from the slow(er) h.264 decoder. That is, you don't need to switch to another player.
Menneisyys2 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:30 AM   #104
wake1
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
So what would the h.264 decoder be used to play?
wake1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:51 AM   #105
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake1 View Post
So what would the h.264 decoder be used to play?
Anything non-iOS-native (mp4 / mov / m4v) or MKV - for example, MTS files.
Menneisyys2 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:54 AM   #106
wake1
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Would you still reccomend it's playing over anything else?
wake1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:06 AM   #107
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake1 View Post
Would you still reccomend it's playing over anything else?
It, as with all the other iOS players, all depends on what you want to play. For mp4 / mkv, nPlayer is decent. For anything requiring h.264 software decoding, it isn't.
Menneisyys2 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:27 AM   #108
wake1
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
It, as with all the other iOS players, all depends on what you want to play. For mp4 / mkv, nPlayer is decent. For anything requiring h.264 software decoding, it isn't.
Which app has the best for h.264 software decoding then? The best one overall would you suggest?
wake1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:11 AM   #109
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake1 View Post
Which app has the best for h.264 software decoding then? The best one overall would you suggest?
There are several of them; for example, yaPlayer. Nevertheless, if you don't want to play back for example MTS files, you won't ever need them.
Menneisyys2 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:23 AM   #110
Sano89
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Liberec, Czech
WMVplayer
Sano89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:52 AM   #111
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sano89 View Post
WMVplayer
Unfortunately, WMV Player is one of the worst players. Let me cite my review of the app (from my WMV Playback bible):

1.1 „WMV Player” - the title that doesn't really deliver high-quality video

If you search for the word “WMV” in AppStore, right the first (in the US AppStore) or the second (in some other, non-US AppStores) hit will be the $1.99 WMV Player:


(US appstore (as with all the images in this roundup, click it to get the full-sized, full-quality one!))


(non-US appstore – note that I've also purchased, as with all the other iPad media players for my multimedia article series, AVPlayerHD from the same store. Interestingly, iTunes still lists the price instead of “Downloaded” or “Update” here.)

So, this app is immensely popular. Is it that good, then?

The answer is no. Actually, it's one of the least-recommended.

Why? It's simple. It doesn't have any local, native WMV playback capabilities. It just uploads (!!) the WMV it receives via “Open In” (when the WMV file is passed from another app) to its server, converts it to another format playable by WMV Player and sends it back.

What's the problem, then?

- First and foremost, it can only process files up to 50 Mbytes in size. It's OK if you would only use it to play back WMV files received in mails or the clips you download off the Web are small(ish). However, this alone makes it impossible to play back pre-existing, large(r) files you transfer to the app via iTunes' File Sharing.

- The videos it produces are of quite bad quality. For example, HERE is the converted version of my standard test video (original HERE). The mere fact that the converted version is one-third the size of the original already shows it, to put it mildly, isn't of the best quality. And it indeed isn't. It's pretty awful. (Just compare the image quality of two files in a decent desktop player like VLC!)

- You can't convert Full HD files, even those under the 50 Mbyte limit. Unfortunately, you're only told this when the upload (which can be VERY time-consuming) is over and not beforehand. (Well, a simple resolution check should be implemented in the app to avoid having to upload high-res files. It shouldn't be that hard.)

A screenshot of the app announcing it can't convert the video (after uploading, of course):



- As it's mostly Full HD resolutions that should be converted (as the current iOS hardware is plain incapable of correctly playing back Full HD WMV footage – then, a client/server remote solution like this would indeed be a godsend!), the complete lack of Full HD support is one of the biggest problems. Should the app (that is, the server side) support it, I would even recommend this app as one that provides stuttering-less full HD playback. Unfortunately, that's not the case.

NOTE: upon finishing uploading a (compatible, that is, non-full HD) file, it automatically gets played. The video, then, is played back at 4:3 aspect ratio and vertically stretched; that is, it'll play back 16:9 (2.35:1 etc.) movies / clips distorted and you can't switch to the right aspect ratio. To play back videos at the original aspect ratio, stop playback, select saving and play the file after its download has been finished.

A sample list of the “Saved Media” screen:



Two screenshots of the aspect ratio difference between the two modes (pay particular attention to the details in the label in the bottom right corner!)


(immediate playback with awful quality)


(playing back the same converted file, after downloading it – no distortion any more, unlike with the previous image!)

NOTE 2: the server handles most possible video and audio codec (and profile) combinations: video-wise WMV1, 2 and 3 and, audio-wise, both WMA and WMA Pro are all supported. So are the Simple, Main and Advanced profiles of WMV3 – VC-1. Nevertheless, there're some special cases it won't convert files; for example, 640*480 slideshows using WMV2 streams. An example which is, by the way, is played back flawlessly in – apart from some audio stuttering in some – all(!) WMV-capable third-party players, is HERE. This is another reason you'll want to prefer a (decent) third-party player with native(!) WMV playback support to this player: it'll be able to play back these pretty common files.
Menneisyys2 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:49 AM   #112
wake1
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Which apps have an audio boost feature?
wake1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:28 AM   #113
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake1 View Post
Which apps have an audio boost feature?
Several for videos without hardware acceleration, the most important/recommended being GoodPlayer.

However, if you want to (are able to) play back hardware-accelerated iOS-native or MKV videos, you will need It's Playing - it's the only title to have audio boosting even while HW (not only the far less efficient) playback.
Menneisyys2 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:32 PM   #114
wake1
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Hi
I just downloaded goodplayer. You are right. It does boost mp4 volumes. But it also boosted the volume of the mkv file I played as well. It's a 720p mkv file. Is that correct? Or did I misunderstand your previous post?
wake1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:27 PM   #115
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake1 View Post
Hi
I just downloaded goodplayer. You are right. It does boost mp4 volumes. But it also boosted the volume of the mkv file I played as well. It's a 720p mkv file. Is that correct? Or did I misunderstand your previous post?
Volume boosting during mp4 playback means it doesn't use hardware acceleration. If you enabled it, there wouldn't be volume boosting. MKV's are always played back in software; this is why you see boosting there (too).
Menneisyys2 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:07 PM   #116
wake1
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
On the it's playing app, how do you change the aspect ratio so it works properly? I tried watching an mkv film and it had quite a big black bars at top and bottom. So I tried changing the aspect to 4:3 so it would play full screen and it actually made the video thinner and the black bars bigger. Does it depend on whether it is hardware or software decoded? Thanks.
wake1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:31 AM   #117
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake1 View Post
On the it's playing app, how do you change the aspect ratio so it works properly? I tried watching an mkv film and it had quite a big black bars at top and bottom. So I tried changing the aspect to 4:3 so it would play full screen and it actually made the video thinner and the black bars bigger. Does it depend on whether it is hardware or software decoded? Thanks.
So, you want to crop off the left / right side of the video so that the image isn't distorted? (This is how, BTW, the stock Videos client zooms.)
Menneisyys2 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:52 AM   #118
wake1
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
No. When I've used other apps like av player hd or n player you can set the aspect ratio so that it plays full screen and doesn't crop off any of the video. Try it on n player. Set the aspect ratio to 4:3. I think if u tap twice on the screen it changed it too. From aspect fill to just fill. But when I try it on its playing it just makes the video smaller.
wake1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:00 AM   #119
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake1 View Post
No. When I've used other apps like av player hd or n player you can set the aspect ratio so that it plays full screen and doesn't crop off any of the video. Try it on n player. Set the aspect ratio to 4:3. I think if u tap twice on the screen it changed it too. From aspect fill to just fill. But when I try it on its playing it just makes the video smaller.
Yup, It's Playing has never been able to fill in the screen without cropping (by introducing some heavy distortion). I'll send them a mail to ask when they introduce this feature.

In the meantime, want me to compile a list that do support filling? (I've already tested this - the results are already in my work-in-progress multimedia chart.)
Menneisyys2 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:05 AM   #120
wake1
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
Yup, It's Playing has never been able to fill in the screen without cropping (by introducing some heavy distortion). I'll send them a mail to ask when they introduce this feature.

In the meantime, want me to compile a list that do support filling? (I've already tested this - the results are already in my work-in-progress multimedia chart.)
Yeah could you compile a list. That would be great. Thanks.
wake1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:29 AM   #121
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake1 View Post
Yeah could you compile a list. That would be great. Thanks.
Will do it. In the meantime, upon my request, the It's Playing folks have implemented "Fill screen" functionality. It's (a closed beta) working great on my iPad. That is, It's Playing will also support filling the screen in the AppStore version very soon.
Menneisyys2 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:28 PM   #122
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake1 View Post
Yeah could you compile a list. That would be great. Thanks.
I've compiled the promised list for you.

There are three sections below. You'll want to select a title from the first one if you plan to play back your videos hardware accelerated. If you don't, the titles listed in the second section will do fine, too.

Note that I've, in parentheses, also listed the way you can make a certain player fill the screen (on an iPad).

Section 1: Both in hardware accelerated and software decoding mode:

nPlayer (stacked pages icon in the lower right corner; tap until „Fill” is displayed in the center of the screen)

Media Player PRO (was: Movie Player HD+) (tap the upper right icon until it becomes two arrows pointing to the corners of the square)

all (even free ones) versions of MoliPlayer (leftmost icon on the main control bar)

ReplayerHD Pro

TTPlayerHD (upper right icon; tap until you see „Screen Resize – Full”)

LuberPlayerHD (leftmost icon on main control bar)

Playable (last-but-one icon on the top right)

TopPlayerHD (upper right icon)

ProPlayer (double tap)

AVPlayerHD (top right icon)

XBMC (Film roll icon (fourth from the right) > View Mode (set it to Stretch 4:3))

AnyPlayerHD (upper right icon)

Section 2: Only in software-decoded mode (as, in HW accelerated mode, they use the system-wide controller):

AcePlayer (by using 4:3 aspect ratio)

Oplayer HD (third icon from the left on the main control bar; select „4:3”)

GPlayer (by using 4:3 aspect ratio under the rightmost text icon on the main control bar > Aspect Ratio)

eXPlayer („A” icon (last-but-one on the right) > 4:3)

GoodPlayer (Settings / Aspect Ratio, set to 4:3)

Section 3: Absolutely no support for screen filling (these you'll want to skip):

stock Videos app
iMedia Player
YaPlayer
RockPlayer2
PowerPlayer
VLC (AppStore + Cydia 1.1.1)
WMV Player
Falcon Player and Downloader Pro for iPad
VM Player HD
viPlay
QQPlayerHD
PlayerXtreme
8player
HD Player Pro
Play Any Video Format - PlayerX HD
BUZZ Player HD
Movie Player – Plays any Video! by Dominic Rodemer
Azul Media Player - Video player for your iPad By Gplex
yxplayer
CineXPlayer – The best way to enjoy your Xvid movies by NXP Software B.V.
EC Player
It's Playing by Addition, Lda (FOR NOW!!!)
RushPlayer
flexPlayer

EDIT: I've also published a full article on this in the meantime: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16518070

Last edited by Menneisyys2; Dec 18, 2012 at 05:23 PM.
Menneisyys2 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:37 PM   #123
yegon
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Anyone ran iPad AVplayerHD on 6.0.2? Gonna hold off updating until I get firm confirmation it works fine. I'm sure it will, but no way am I taking the risk!
yegon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:48 AM   #124
wake1
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
I've compiled the promised list for you.

There are three sections below. You'll want to select a title from the first one if you plan to play back your videos hardware accelerated. If you don't, the titles listed in the second section will do fine, too.

Note that I've, in parentheses, also listed the way you can make a certain player fill the screen (on an iPad).

Section 1: Both in hardware accelerated and software decoding mode:

nPlayer (stacked pages icon in the lower right corner; tap until „Fill” is displayed in the center of the screen)

Media Player PRO (was: Movie Player HD+) (tap the upper right icon until it becomes two arrows pointing to the corners of the square)

all (even free ones) versions of MoliPlayer (leftmost icon on the main control bar)

ReplayerHD Pro

TTPlayerHD (upper right icon; tap until you see „Screen Resize – Full”)

LuberPlayerHD (leftmost icon on main control bar)

Playable (last-but-one icon on the top right)

TopPlayerHD (upper right icon)

ProPlayer (double tap)

AVPlayerHD (top right icon)

XBMC (Film roll icon (fourth from the right) > View Mode (set it to Stretch 4:3))

AnyPlayerHD (upper right icon)

Section 2: Only in software-decoded mode (as, in HW accelerated mode, they use the system-wide controller):

AcePlayer (by using 4:3 aspect ratio)

Oplayer HD (third icon from the left on the main control bar; select „4:3”)

GPlayer (by using 4:3 aspect ratio under the rightmost text icon on the main control bar > Aspect Ratio)

eXPlayer („A” icon (last-but-one on the right) > 4:3)

GoodPlayer (Settings / Aspect Ratio, set to 4:3)

Section 3: Absolutely no support for screen filling (these you'll want to skip):

stock Videos app
iMedia Player
YaPlayer
RockPlayer2
PowerPlayer
VLC (AppStore + Cydia 1.1.1)
WMV Player
Falcon Player and Downloader Pro for iPad
VM Player HD
viPlay
QQPlayerHD
PlayerXtreme
8player
HD Player Pro
Play Any Video Format - PlayerX HD
BUZZ Player HD
Movie Player – Plays any Video! by Dominic Rodemer
Azul Media Player - Video player for your iPad By Gplex
yxplayer
CineXPlayer – The best way to enjoy your Xvid movies by NXP Software B.V.
EC Player
It's Playing by Addition, Lda (FOR NOW!!!)
RushPlayer
flexPlayer

EDIT: I've also published a full article on this in the meantime: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16518070
Thanks got this. When can we expect its playing to update?
wake1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:32 AM   #125
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake1 View Post
Thanks got this. When can we expect its playing to update?
Dunno. I don't think before Christmas.
Menneisyys2 is online now   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Image quality difference between nPlayer, AVPlayerHD and iOS player? lexvo iPad Apps 2 Jan 29, 2014 05:57 AM
AVPlayerHD EmbraceTheOne iPad Apps 5 Jul 29, 2013 02:18 PM
New Version of Excellent Video Player AVPlayerHD out! + other news & reviews Menneisyys2 iPad Apps 30 Mar 15, 2013 07:14 PM
General: Rushplayer+ vs AVPlayerHD guitarmandp Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 9 Feb 24, 2013 05:23 PM
Avplayerhd now supports 1080p mkv hardware decoding cRuNcHiE iPad Apps 0 Jul 24, 2012 06:09 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:21 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC