Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chargrave

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
First of all, I'm new to the forum. Thanks for any responses!

Secondly, I am not in need of a lecture on mac gaming. I understand I can build a PC much more capable. I'm just in a specific situation and I am seeking advice.

I work for Apple and I am going to be able to get an iMac at a significant discount within the next couple of months, depending on income situations. I am a pretty big gamer, and I am aware that these machines don't run games as well as traditional tower builds. After scouring the internet for some sort of benchmark score, no one seems to talk about what the new iMac 21.5 inch models are capable of.

I have looked at the benchmarks for the individual cards in the machines at http://www.notebookcheck.net and it has been a great resource for base comparisons of graphics performance.

My main question is how well bootcamp works, and if the new processors in the machines will help increase overall gpu performance. I would want to play games such as PlanetSide 2, Far Cry 3, GTA V when it releases, etc. etc. Am I just wishing a fools wish? Are these things just not going to be possible with a 650m GPU?

Thank you again for any responses, and again I'm aware of PC builds. I am just not in the market for one.

cosmicjoke

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2011
Portland, OR
First of all, I'm new to the forum. Thanks for any responses!

Secondly, I am not in need of a lecture on mac gaming. I understand I can build a PC much more capable. I'm just in a specific situation and I am seeking advice.

I work for Apple and I am going to be able to get an iMac at a significant discount within the next couple of months, depending on income situations. I am a pretty big gamer, and I am aware that these machines don't run games as well as traditional tower builds. After scouring the internet for some sort of benchmark score, no one seems to talk about what the new iMac 21.5 inch models are capable of.

I have looked at the benchmarks for the individual cards in the machines at http://www.notebookcheck.net and it has been a great resource for base comparisons of graphics performance.

My main question is how well bootcamp works, and if the new processors in the machines will help increase overall gpu performance. I would want to play games such as PlanetSide 2, Far Cry 3, GTA V when it releases, etc. etc. Am I just wishing a fools wish? Are these things just not going to be possible with a 650m GPU?

Thank you again for any responses, and again I'm aware of PC builds. I am just not in the market for one.

Just remember on notebookcheck that the benchmarks are often coming from some horrible cheap laptop screen resolution like 1376x768 or rather than 1080p of 21" imac, so the benchmarks may look considerably higher than what you'll get. If I were you, I'd keep my eye on Anandtech and see if they do a review. They have w/ other iMacs in the past along with useful benchmarks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.