Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
For me the main issues with the Google app are threefold-

1. Much more data consumption (tile vs vector)
2. Faster battery consumption (related to 1.)
3. Google's invasive data mining.

I have unlimited data, but internationally, when I really NEED maps to get around, the extra consumption is a concern.

And yes, I do trust Apple with my data more than I trust Google.

When you consider full integration and other factors, we need to keep up hope that Apple's datasets will be brought at least into alignment with those of Google. It's a process that is difficult and slow but progress has been made. Let's hope the new Google app doesn't derail that progress.

The Google Maps app uses vector maps.

urbanslaughter1997

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2007
I like the way the new Google Maps looks and works - maybe not quite as intuitive as I'd prefer, but that happens. I hadn't had any problems with Apple Maps (minus Siri not knowing what I was saying), but the first thing I asked Google Maps to do was take me home. It got me there, but it was not what you would call a direct route. Apple Maps takes me on a the fastest route there. I have a 45 minute drive home that requires getting on the highway. Apple Maps brought me to the nearest on ramp. Google takes me two on ramps south of where I am to get me on the highway.

Yes, they both got me there, but it wasn't perfect. I know Apple Maps is not perfect for a lot of people, especially outside the US, but it seems to work for me and at the end of the day, that's all I need it to do.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
For me the main issues with the Google app are threefold-

1. Much more data consumption (tile vs vector)
2. Faster battery consumption (related to 1.)
3. Google's invasive data mining.

I have unlimited data, but internationally, when I really NEED maps to get around, the extra consumption is a concern.

And yes, I do trust Apple with my data more than I trust Google.

When you consider full integration and other factors, we need to keep up hope that Apple's datasets will be brought at least into alignment with those of Google. It's a process that is difficult and slow but progress has been made. Let's hope the new Google app doesn't derail that progress.

Points 1 and 2 are null and void as the app uses vector.

Point 3 is just a tinfoil hat situation.

qwimjim

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2011
Not really sure I buy into the google maps is better, but for me Apple maps is great and I guess it is nice to have a back up.

i don't understand how anyone could think google maps isn't leaps and bounds better.. it's night and day.

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
The satellite view of Bristol is about 5-6 years out of date. The shopping centre Cabot Circus opened in 2008 on Google maps it is just a building site, the same is true for other building projects of that time. So I am not that impressed, and very surprised how people wrote raving reviews in the App Store just after it went online (well before actually using the new App, just with prejudice).

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
i don't understand how anyone could think google maps isn't leaps and bounds better.. it's night and day.

Because it's not. Apple Maps has a better UI and the maps look better. The reason I'm using Google Maps is transit directions and street view. On everything else, I think Apple did a better job.

qwimjim

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2011
So if Microsoft brings office to the iPad, Apple isn't getting anything there either. Because it is only the App developer that wins?

Google could've released a mapping App before this that could've done all you said, including turn-by-turn. But they wanted their own Android products to have an improved capability. Not bring Tunr-by-Turn to the iPhone was a deliberate choice to hobble capabilities of the iPhone. Now iPhone users are elated with the capability that they have (on their iPhone), that Google refused to provide until Apple pulled them. The iPhone now has a capability that Google earlier would not provide. Users don't care if it says "Google" in small font on the map. Now the iPhone has the same capability that the Android does, and no users will switch phones as a result of that absence. Hard to see how this is hurting Apple. The want to sell phones. They are selling them in record numbers.

says who? you? google had a contract with apple, apple was paying google to use their map engine in the official Maps app. i highly doubt google could have released their own competing app while under said contract. apple wanted voice turn by turn, google wanted branding.. to blame the impass on google is idiotic, neither company was willing to compromise. apple was not willing to compromise for YOU, it's customer. you paid money to apple, you have never paid apple to google..

google doesn't -just- want to sell phones, google wants people to use the internet and use google, period. that is their main perogative, the more people use the internet, the more people use google, the more data google collects, the more ads google can sell. google releases great apps on its competitors platforms because it wants people using its services, period. just like apple created itunes for windows so that more people would use its ipods.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Ummm...go into search, touch the mike next to the space bar and you can voice search (iOS 6, iPhone 5).

I actually didn't check it out for myself. I guess I was just propagating a lie I read earlier in the thread.

qwimjim

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2011
Your convenient omission is in the fact that Google always could've provided a stand-alone Map and Nav App that complied with the same rules every other developer uses. They deliberately did not chose that option. Now they have brought the same, and even better capability (by their admission) to the iPhone. The best Google mapping is on the iPhone now, not an Android. That press is certainly not negative for Apple.

so it never occurred to any of you that maybe the reason google didn't release a competing app might have something to do with the contract that had Apple paying them for their map engine and data used in the official Maps app? that it likely prevented google from releasing a competing app? apple could have gotten voice turn by turn navigation, had they simply been willing to accommodate google's not unreasonable demands. its funny how you guys cross your arms at google, the company to whom you've paid zero dollars, to give you certain features.. instead of the company you've paid hundreds of dollars, who went out of their way to prevent you from getting said features.

mindless fanboyism at its best.

irobot2003

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2003
California
I like the way the new Google Maps looks and works - maybe not quite as intuitive as I'd prefer, but that happens. I hadn't had any problems with Apple Maps (minus Siri not knowing what I was saying), but the first thing I asked Google Maps to do was take me home. It got me there, but it was not what you would call a direct route. [...]

Yes, they both got me there, but it wasn't perfect. I know Apple Maps is not perfect for a lot of people, especially outside the US, but it seems to work for me and at the end of the day, that's all I need it to do.

Yeah, I played around with the new Google app today... I prefer the UI of the Apple Map app, but Google's isn't bad, and street view is great. I've been using Apple's map app for turn by turn directions, for a couple months on the west coast, and it's been great.

By chance, for the first time in a while, I was following some printed Google Maps directions last weekend and it had me looking for a non-existent 2nd left turn (it should have been the first left turn). I've never had similarly egregious errors with the Apple map app, but I imagine in different parts of the US and in foreign countries the experience may be different. I'll probably continue to use the Apple map app for turn by turn, but it's nice to have street view and the (apparently) more complete business search in the Google app.

redkamel

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2006
Are you crazy? How exactly did Apple win anything? If anything this is a win for Google.

Instead of being completely cut off, they now have an app that's better than Apple's alternative, thus can mine more data as people will use it more.

Plus Apple has not only tarnished their reputation, but now have to keep maps running, crippled for years. It's likely cost them millions.

For Google, creating their own app was never going to be a challenge - they have 7,100 people working just on maps, and it shows.

I am quoting you just as an example of how this is not a black and white issue.

Apple originally made Maps with Googles data. Google and Apple wanted to add features; the price was Google access to user data. Apple unsurprisingl, did not think it was fair for its application (a default application at that) to give, or even have an option to give, information on its users away. Apple like things that use its name to be self contained and what they appear; an Apple Maps that was using google social networks and ad tracking did not fit with that so they both went their separate ways. Apple made the app they wanted; Google made the one they wanted.

This may "tarnish" Apples rep since google maps is so good, but it is nothing compared to the stink and compromise in values if they had done it the other way. Maps is not "crippled"...it just lacks data. And it will be fixed, and Apple will run it, because frankly, I am sure they want to integrate Maps into many other things as well.

Apple won by retaining their app, and lost a set of data which they now have to play catch up on. Millions to run? They make millions a day.

Google lost in that now people have to seek their GMaps, which I am sure many (but not all) will, and they lose a lot of integration on the iPhone. They won in now that it is quite public how great their maps are (again).

Frankly, this whole issue in the long run is a gray area that can be spun either way. It is not the great battle with a winner and a loser everyone likes to make it out to be. I am sure Google is quite happy they now have full access to their own map app and it will be on lots of phones gathering data. Apple can now offer their users the Maps Apple wants to offer, and can do as it pleases. Its just the way the companies work.

I used google maps for a few hours, but I got tired with the requests for log ins and no contact access. Apple Map can find what I am looking for with a more effort, but I like its integration more. I don't like using Google Apps as I disagree with their principles, so that's another bonus. I am sure Google maps will be good for a lot of people and I will recommend it without hesitation.

This whole hullabaloo about one being better is relative. For me, in SoCal, Apple maps works. I am sure in Australia and other countries Google is MUCH more complete.

But people will continue to see it the way they want to I suppose. Although I do find it disheartening (for Apple) that many of Apples apps are now in close competition, as their software used to be heads and shoulders above other offerings. Its good for me as I now have lots of good programs though.

redkamel

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2006
so it never occurred to any of you that maybe the reason google didn't release a competing app might have something to do with the contract that had Apple paying them for their map engine and data used in the official Maps app? that it likely prevented google from releasing a competing app? apple could have gotten voice turn by turn navigation, had they simply been willing to accommodate google's not unreasonable demands. its funny how you guys cross your arms at google, the company to whom you've paid zero dollars, to give you certain features.. instead of the company you've paid hundreds of dollars, who went out of their way to prevent you from getting said features.

mindless fanboyism at its best.

I actually pay Apple $100s of dollars to have excellent hardware, a great OS, and an integrated, full service software suite that does not mandate 3rd party software or advertising for basic functionality.

I think its fanboyism when all people want are features and don't care what they have to give up to get them. I prefer the way Apple operates; I pay them, I am their customer, they give me a great product. If it doesn't work well, they take real steps to fix it (unlike many other companies I have bought from in the past). My money, time, data, and screen real estate goes to hardware and software developers.

LxHunter

Suspended
Nov 14, 2010
Because it's not. Apple Maps has a better UI and the maps look better. The reason I'm using Google Maps is transit directions and street view. On everything else, I think Apple did a better job.

Me too, and iOS integration.
So I will be using 2 map apps.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
The people who depend on a solid GPS program DO have a problem with Apple Maps. I'd say most people in the US don't even use iPhone so you are right on with your point.

I live in Houston, the fourth largest city in the US. I've used Apple maps seven times. One time I got where I needed, and that was by luck (Apple maps said that Frys electronics was on a block caddy corner to where it actually was). Two of the times it took me to business locations that don't exist. Two other times it put me on the freeway and as I passed by the location it said I was there. The other times I don't recall specifically but it wasn't good. If Apple maps hasn't figured out the fourth biggest city in the US, I can combine my experience with the overwhelming sentiment of other Apple maps users to conclude that it is one of the largest blunders Apple ever made, and probably the worst GPS system ever devised. In one month's time I had more problems with Apple maps than three years of Google maps (in Texas, California, Oregon, and a cross country trip or two).

Not sure how being in Houston makes any difference. But your over the top story is not what most of us iPhone users experience in the US.

And if you don't have use and iPhone then why would you care about Apple maps?

BayouTiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
New Orleans
I just downloaded the Google maps and went through them a little. I don't use turn by turn or transit information, or traffic, or other stuff. I just want a map, and at first glance I will stay with the new Apple maps as I like them much better. I think the vector based maps are hugely superior and with a little time will be a huge plus for Apple. They have already made great strides and I haven't had even a glitch with them in a while.

Frankly, I think a great deal of the map issue is just they typical whining that comes out with everything Apple does.

Kinda like all the complaints that the MBA and retinabooks are not upgradable, when NO ONE upgrades laptops any way. Lots of folks complaining that they can go up to 16GB when in reality they'll never use 8.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
LOL, gave the new Google Maps my home address. The result is the same as the old Google Maps. Places my home in the middle of the woods a mile south of my actual location.

On the other hand, Apple Maps was accurate the first time I tried it.

Going to stick with accuracy, and for me, that's Apple. But I'll keep Google around in case I travel to some large city and need transit directions.

solace

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2006

HEY, HAVE YOU HEARD OF THIS AWESOME NEW THING CALLED DIFFERING OPINIONS?

:rolleyes:

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
Not sure how being in Houston makes any difference. But your over the top story is not what most of us iPhone users experience in the US.

And if you don't have use and iPhone then why would you care about Apple maps?
Actually, those stories are very typical of what I have experienced in the Los Angeles/Orange County areas. But then again, TomTom (the provider of data for Apple Maps) has never been very accurate for me.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Sales wise many not. Your forgetting the internal issues, such as people getting canned and the expense Apple have to cover to fix up the mess they've created themselves due to the mismanagement of Apple Maps project. By expense I mean resources as well as monetary.

This wasn't Apple's strategy was it?

iPhone can survive and succeed very well without needing Google map turn by turn navigation - there are plenty of other alternatives.

I agree somewhat, but whenever there is regime change like when Tim Cook took over, there is always going to be some changes. Especially while the old regimes plans are still being played out.

I would bet that even if the Apple Maps had all the best press in the world. These types of changes would still have been made.

qwimjim

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2011
I actually pay Apple $100s of dollars to have excellent hardware, a great OS, and an integrated, full service software suite that does not mandate 3rd party software or advertising for basic functionality.

I think its fanboyism when all people want are features and don't care what they have to give up to get them. I prefer the way Apple operates; I pay them, I am their customer, they give me a great product. If it doesn't work well, they take real steps to fix it (unlike many other companies I have bought from in the past). My money, time, data, and screen real estate goes to hardware and software developers.

no its going towards developing a garbage maps product when had apple simply compromised with google, we could have had their fantastic maps app as a native default app that worked with siri. again, fanboy logic at work.. apple is wasting resources on a maps app when it can't hope to ever create something as fast and accurate as google's, and all for what? for nothing.

what would we have had to give up to have had google maps with turn by turn navigation? that the app name be changed to "Google Maps"? that google be able to mine the data along with apple?

fanboys, will defend apple to the death.. beyond all reason and logic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.