Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
You really can't believe it? Welcome to my world ;) I am in constant awe at al the crap that people believe either through lack of research of their own or believing everything they've read on a forum or been told while waiting in line at the Apple store...

:) I was just playing with his own words.

No, they patented a implementation of slide to unlock that involves manipulating an image over a predefined path. They didn't patent simply sliding to unlock.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
:) I was just playing with his own words.

No, they patented a implementation of slide to unlock that involves manipulating an image over a predefined path. They didn't patent simply sliding to unlock.

Isn't that sliding to unlocking?

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
That's not true at all. My friend has an uncle who works for Samsung, and he got to play with a prototype Galaxy S4.

...thing didn't even top out at 100,000 miles per second. We couldn't even reach Mars in time for dinner.

But hey, that's Samesuck for you. Overpromising and underdelivering. :rolleyes:

I freaking knew it :mad:

Still decently fast though, I guess the billion light years was too good to be true, so we could get out of the milky way. Apple will do 50,000 miles a second and claim it as revolutionary then, half the specs man. This is ridiculous of these tech companies over promising and under delivering.

Last edited by a moderator:

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Really? Wow, thank you for that wonderful post, further proving my point against his argument.

Wow. If you think that supported your argument, more power to you.

Isn't that sliding to unlocking?

Sure. But there's a big difference between patenting slide to unlock and patenting one of many possible implementations of slide to unlock.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
Maybe Apple can invent them a new logo in return being granted rights to use those patents.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
I wish I could get a patent trial free version of MacRumors, because they couldn't interest me less. So bored of all this suing back and forth that's only really a profit the law firms.

Then why do you keep reading and posting? You will always attract more of that which you focus on.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
Wow. If you think that supported your argument, more power to you.

Sure. But there's a big difference between patenting slide to unlock and patenting one of many possible implementations of slide to unlock.

What would another possible implementation be?

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
What would another possible implementation be?

The prior art that was brought in to dispute Apple's patent consisted of sliding your finger along the bottom edge of the screen. No image.

You could also draw shapes on the screen. Write out a password. Simply require a certain distance be traveled by your finger on any path. Lots of different things could work.

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
The prior art that was brought in to dispute Apple's patent consisted of sliding your finger along the bottom edge of the screen. No image.

You could also draw shapes on the screen. Write out a password. Simply require a certain distance be traveled by your finger on any path. Lots of different things could work.

then it wouldn't be called slide to unlock. What you're suggesting is Draw to Unlock or Write to Unlock.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012

I see. Thanks.

I still don't think it should be patentable.

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
F all the big corps. Period.

Governments need to end this BS for all these companies and lawyers.

"Government needs"... see you've been well indoctrinated to their mantra. :(

Yes having government involved will solve the problem! :rolleyes:

Wasn't it the government that F'ed it up in the first place?! :cool:

What do you think the "US" from the USPTO stands for???? :eek:

How about end government! Just go back to 'it takes a village'!!!! :D
/
/
/

iphoneclassic

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
USA
not a patent troll in the traditional sense, since the company is jointly owned by Sony, Nokia, and MPEG LA.

Agree with you but now a days all big companies with considerable R&D are setting up these patent trolls. Main reason these companies don't want to be in the limelight of a sue/counter suie cycle. In case of counter suit liability is limited.

In normal case this would have been Sony/Nokia/MPEG LA vs Apple. Now Sony/Nokia/MPEG LA are protected, Apple is not.

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
"Government needs"... see you've been well indoctrinated to their mantra. :(

Yes having government involved will solve the problem! :rolleyes:

Wasn't it the government that F'ed it up in the first place?! :cool:

What do you think the "US" from the USPTO stands for???? :eek:

How about end government! Just go back to 'it takes a village'!!!! :D
/
/
/

Relax yo body.

Reforming it could be a possibility since it is at a high level of ridiculousness at the moment. Goes for other countries as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
GOOD! This is nothing more then what Apple 'claims' to do. Company's protecting their patents and claiming for the rewards they deserve.

I have a suspicion this is going to drag on and on and on as this is by no means the first case like this, the fact Apple implemented technology and refused to pay licensing fees for it's use, but some on here would claim this is perfectly normal and how it all works? You know, you make something and wait for someone to sue you before you abide by the law....

But as I said before, all Apple does is abuse the corrupt patent and court systems and corrupt government in America to gain market share and increase in profits above it's competition.

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
It's clear that the only thing you enjoy is taking sides, not fairness.

This is simply a patent troll company. They don't make ANYTHING. Their entire website is about their so-called 'patents', and how to license them from them.

http://www.mobilemediaideas.com/patents.html

Look at all those laughable patents.

If Apple had those, you'd laugh at Apple, talking about how evil they are. But when another company uses these patents, it's ok? If 'Mobile Media Idea' made phones with these patents, okay, but they don't. They're just a patent troll.

Either say all the patents suck, or patents are good - but don't take sides just against Apple. It proves your signature is a joke. Your 'blind worship' is anti-Apple.

Again I'll say, if you're not actively developing a product within say three or five years of the grant of a patent, then the patent goes public domain. That would be the end of patent trolls.

Renzatic

Suspended
Again I'll say, if you're not actively developing a product within say three or five years of the grant of a patent, then the patent goes public domain. That would be the end of patent trolls.

That's a good idea in theory, a bad one in practice. While it'd curtail just about all patent trolling in one fell swoop, it'd also mean all the practicing companies would end up being about 10 times as rabid with the lawsuits than they are now.

identity

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2011

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
After all the crazy patents Apple claims, I wouldn't be surprised if this was just the tip of the iceberg.

Agreed.

It is almost a guarantee that whatever one thinks up these days was in one way or another patented in the broadest sense.

Especially, if there was only one way of doing things.

I would also guess that it is almost impossible to check patents their interpretations and finding them all these days.

This is like the gold rush era, just different nuggets to cash in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.