Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:01 PM   #1
Namtaro
macrumors regular

iPhone 4 and iOS 6.0.1

With the recent news of Google Maps going to iOS, I think I just got the upgrade bug as that was the only thing keeping me back from iOS6.

My iPhone 4 is currently running 5.1.1 and has shsh blobs saved so I won't have a problem with downgrading. I just want an as smooth as possible upgrade to iOS 6.0.1.

Could I upgrade via iTunes upgrade button, then jailbreak using RedSnow without losing anything?
Or would it be better just to back everything up, wipe and reinstall everything using this method.
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/11...eak-ios-6-0-1/

Thanks a lot everyone!
Namtaro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:37 AM   #2
Grolubao
macrumors 6502a

Don't do it. It lags a LOT, just keep on 5.1.1. Also 6.0.1 is tethered which is very inconvenient.
Grolubao is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:51 AM   #3
dhlizard
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namtaro View Post
With the recent news of Google Maps going to iOS, I think I just got the upgrade bug as that was the only thing keeping me back from iOS6.

My iPhone 4 is currently running 5.1.1 and has shsh blobs saved so I won't have a problem with downgrading. I just want an as smooth as possible upgrade to iOS 6.0.1.

Could I upgrade via iTunes upgrade button, then jailbreak using RedSnow without losing anything?
Or would it be better just to back everything up, wipe and reinstall everything using this method.
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/11...eak-ios-6-0-1/

Thanks a lot everyone!
Where in the tutorial that you linked does it say/recommend to wipe everything ?
When you restore to 6.0.1, it essentially overwrites all the existing firmware on the device anyway, so once complete you have a clean, stock install - ready for jailbreak procedure.

There is no difference between the two "methods" you asked about, they are the same since that is the only way to do what you wish to do.

Look for me here
dhlizard is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:10 PM   #4
Namtaro
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhlizard View Post
Where in the tutorial that you linked does it say/recommend to wipe everything ?
When you restore to 6.0.1, it essentially overwrites all the existing firmware on the device anyway, so once complete you have a clean, stock install - ready for jailbreak procedure.

There is no difference between the two "methods" you asked about, they are the same since that is the only way to do what you wish to do.
Ah alright, nice to know.

I went ahead and restored/upgraded to 6.0.1, but I just felt uneasy with an tethered phone after a day so I went back to 5.1.1... boy, iCloud just makes everything so easy. It even saves cydia app information!

One of those small things you don't notice until you actually need it. Just hope when the day comes that I need to use my Time Machine backup, it's just as easy.
Namtaro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:03 PM   #5
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namtaro View Post
One of those small things you don't notice until you actually need it. Just hope when the day comes that I need to use my Time Machine backup, it's just as easy.
Was for me, we had an imac that had the hard drive recalled. Got home, plugged in the time machine drive and let it do its thing.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:52 PM   #6
dhlizard
macrumors G3

I concur

Time Machine is very simple

Look for me here
dhlizard is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks