Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

View Poll Results: Is your black iPhone 5 scuffed, chipped or scratched?
Flawless 1,155 46.22%
Flawless because I put a case on it. 198 7.92%
Scuffed out of the box 816 32.65%
Scuffed/scratched shortly after 330 13.21%
Voters: 2499. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:45 PM   #4526
Zman5225
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to Zman5225 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5225
Quote:
Originally Posted by duhyes View Post
so i might buy an iphone this christmas will it be scuffed out of the box?
and if it's scuffed out of the box can i get a new one(im buying a contract btw)
If it's scuffed out of the box they will swap it out.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:05 PM   #4527
bmwhd
macrumors 6502a

Day one iP5 in black here. I use a cheap gel case off eBay but it fits perfectly. Numerous drops and bangs on hard surfaces and many hours in tight jeans pockets. Still flawless.
bmwhd is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:38 AM   #4528
bgl321
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasperRooney View Post
I hope they find the coloring to poor, and thats why the raw alu is showing.
It should hold up better than that. I have my headset plugged in 2 times a day about 30 min.
But your right about the friction point. The jack on the cable is angled, so it gets turned alot, therefor the friction. People with "normal" straight jack cables wont get the same friction, so maybe itīs not a problem for others.

But I cross my fingers for a new one!
I prefer to use Best Buy insurance. $16/month. If you drop it, screen cracked, just take it in and they send you a new one. For this reason I have no need for a case. Just my $.02.
bgl321 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:43 PM   #4529
mgb1120
macrumors 6502

Week 47. Discoloring on bottom by port and headphone jack, static/muffled when talking (reset did nothing) scratched back, scratched home button. Ridiculous. Phone looks like its been used for over a year. Going back next week. not ocd is anyway, just alone the static and echoing when talking is really annoying.
mgb1120 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:47 PM   #4530
BigMcGuire
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgb1120 View Post
Week 47. Discoloring on bottom by port and headphone jack, static/muffled when talking (reset did nothing) scratched back, scratched home button. Ridiculous. Phone looks like its been used for over a year. Going back next week.
Similar experiences. My iPhone 5 after 17 days looks more used than my iPhone 4s for a year+ (before I dropped it on cement of course).
BigMcGuire is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:40 PM   #4531
mgb1120
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMcGuire View Post
Similar experiences. My iPhone 5 after 17 days looks more used than my iPhone 4s for a year+ (before I dropped it on cement of course).
Exactly! & this is right out of the box! Don't need black that bad, Might just get white next week when I go back.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:51 PM   #4532
Leggy2012
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgb1120 View Post
Exactly! & this is right out of the box! Don't need black that bad, Might just get white next week when I go back.
I'm swapping my white for a black, black looks so much better
Leggy2012 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:50 PM   #4533
Peterg2
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhd View Post
Day one iP5 in black here. I use a cheap gel case off eBay but it fits perfectly. Numerous drops and bangs on hard surfaces and many hours in tight jeans pockets. Still flawless.
I was really hoping that I would be able to avoid a case with my prospective iphone 5 purchase but clearly that seems impractical. I went caseless with my iphone 4 for a spell of a few months (not initially and not currently) and due to the way I care for my phones it developed no cosmetic damage at all.

The reason I went back to a case was simply that I grew tired of "holding it right" with the antenna issue. With the 5 it seems apparent, from the couple I have seen, that it is a vain hope that it will look as good - caseless - after a few months as my 4 looks after 2 years.
Peterg2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:29 PM   #4534
itjw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrod View Post
The phone is five inches long, not fifteen feet, it's easier to make "perfect", if the material is too soft use something else. If the materials aren't up to daily wear and tear as a device that's used in the hand they shouldn't be used, nothing to do with OCD.

My black iPhone 5 is fine btw, just saying for people who have issues with theirs.
Just because somethings "easi-ER" to make "perfect" than something else, doesn't mean it's "easy" to make it "perfect". There is almost nothing mass produced that comes out 100% flawless.

And it holds up to wear and tear FINE. No one has had a problem with the operation of their phone because of "scuffgate". This is a purely COSMETIC issue.

Apple could have made it out of diamonds and plutonium. Not only would it have still had "flaws" (I can hear it now... "my diamonds have inclusions... why oh why did Apple use diamonds?!?!"), but it still wouldn't have satisfied everyone. Apple chose the materials they did 1) to maximize profit (they are a business) and 2) because it makes the phone lighter, thinner, and better suited to survive drops. NOT survive them unscathed, but to survive them and not require replacement (like when you drop glass).

The 5 scratches easier than the 4/4S. It doesn't mean it wasn't 100% worth it, and it doesn't mean Apple made some horrible decision just because you can't keep it "perfect" AS easy. It can obviously still be done... mine is a launch day phone that I use without a case, and it still is.

Even being that crappy aluminum. The shock!
itjw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:20 PM   #4535
mgb1120
macrumors 6502

There's a difference from a blown/defective earpiece that's static and echoes along with discolored and scratched out of the box, it's mass produced so I can understand but an inconvenience to run it back, I can live with scratches not a bad earpiece!
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:08 AM   #4536
Jimrod
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjw View Post
Just because somethings "easi-ER" to make "perfect" than something else, doesn't mean it's "easy" to make it "perfect". There is almost nothing mass produced that comes out 100% flawless.

And it holds up to wear and tear FINE. No one has had a problem with the operation of their phone because of "scuffgate". This is a purely COSMETIC issue.

Apple could have made it out of diamonds and plutonium. Not only would it have still had "flaws" (I can hear it now... "my diamonds have inclusions... why oh why did Apple use diamonds?!?!"), but it still wouldn't have satisfied everyone. Apple chose the materials they did 1) to maximize profit (they are a business) and 2) because it makes the phone lighter, thinner, and better suited to survive drops. NOT survive them unscathed, but to survive them and not require replacement (like when you drop glass).

The 5 scratches easier than the 4/4S. It doesn't mean it wasn't 100% worth it, and it doesn't mean Apple made some horrible decision just because you can't keep it "perfect" AS easy. It can obviously still be done... mine is a launch day phone that I use without a case, and it still is.

Even being that crappy aluminum. The shock!
Well that's sort of the point here - many phones seem to be damaged in some way out of the box, let alone after use. You say you can't make everything perfect - well I don't remember problems like this with any previous generation iPhone. I design and manufacture product myself and know full well that I sometimes have to change things if production proves to be problematic. I don't expect my customers to excuse poor quality, especially at high prices.

You will always have a number of faulty items slip through the net, usually a very low percentage - from the fuss being made it seems like the iPhone 5 has more issues than previous generations.
Jimrod is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:21 AM   #4537
mgb1120
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Well that's sort of the point here - many phones seem to be damaged in some way out of the box, let alone after use. You say you can't make everything perfect - well I don't remember problems like this with any previous generation iPhone. I design and manufacture product myself and know full well that I sometimes have to change things if production proves to be problematic. I don't expect my customers to excuse poor quality, especially at high prices.

You will always have a number of faulty items slip through the net, usually a very low percentage - from the fuss being made it seems like the iPhone 5 has more issues than previous generations.
Agreed 110%. Using the excuse of a "genius" its a new manufacturing process is BS. Get it right then. I purchased my iPhone 4, never took it back, never a issue, especially an earpiece shot out of the box on my 5.

Last edited by mgb1120; Dec 15, 2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:50 PM   #4538
John T
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Don't forget that the people making "a fuss" are a minuscule percentage of total sales.
John T is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:24 PM   #4539
Peterg2
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by John T View Post
Don't forget that the people making "a fuss" are a minuscule percentage of total sales.
So mediocrity is the rule going forward? Tim Cook described the iphone 5 as an "absolute jewel". That is a bar which has been created not by the OCD people here but by Apple themselves.
Peterg2 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:41 PM   #4540
maximumsportz
macrumors regular

Went in today picked up a week 47, pretty much flawless just a very small chip on top on the back edge, didn't care for it. But when I used the phone I noticed the screen was pretty yellowed washed even compared to in house phones at the Apple store.

Swapped it out for a week 46, screen is much more vibrant and cooler. However there were 2 very small scuffs/chip on the volume button side near the antennas. Everything flawless. I rather have a crisp screen than worry about some scuffs that will end up coming up on the phone eventually.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:55 PM   #4541
NovemberWhiskey
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leggy2012 View Post
I have had my iPhone 5 white 32GB for 2 months now and there will be scuffs, it is inevitable. The most common place to get scuffs is on the champhered edges which have a too many scuffs for my liking and I also keep my iPhone in a case as I am a very careful person however it is inevitable
I had my white iphone 5 in a belkin candy grip sheer and it didn't give me one single hairline scratch in over 2 months.

I tried on a hard case, and it immediately scratched the chamfered bezel.

I think it really depends on the case. You need a soft TPU or silicone case.
NovemberWhiskey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:56 PM   #4542
desistyle
macrumors regular

And I just dropped mine! *****!!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355802973.189337.jpg
Views:	1017
Size:	303.1 KB
ID:	384267
desistyle is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:39 AM   #4543
lamerica80
macrumors 6502

After only 4 weeks with my Iphone i now have a few tiny scuffs on the upper corners of the phone. I was very surpriced since i keep it in a sleeve and only take it out to use it. I really treat it like a new born baby.

Annoying, but they are so small so i wont do anything about it for now.
lamerica80 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:35 PM   #4544
itjw
Banned

Quote:

What fuss? The 1000 or so OCD users on a fanboy (myself included, no offense) forum on the internet??? That's not a fuss. That's a whine by a teeny tiny percentage of users (and remember, usually only complainers post anyway, the happy folks have no reason to come on and spout off about everything being "fine").

And if you don't remember problems with previous generations that's mighty selective of you... The Original iPhone had that awful chrome bezel (that if it didn't have scratches out of the box it would within hours...), 3G/S had a plastic back that often cracked on the edges where it met the phone's body AND had the bezel issues too, and the 4 had ANTENNAGATE, yellow screen "gate" and glass that people couldn't help themselves from breaking! Even the 4S had "batterygate" and blue/yellow screen "gate" even if it solved "antennagate".

None of these were "real" problems unless you buy into the whole forums being reality thing. If that's the case Apple would be out of business by now with all the disasters it's facing...

This "none of my old iPhones had any problems out of the box" LIE, is a lot like remembering ex-girlfriends. If you find a flaw with your current gf the memory of your ex gets a little more rosey...
itjw is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:36 AM   #4545
ann713
macrumors 6502a

I have one tiny, minuscule blemish on the antenna. Should consider myself lucky I guess.
ann713 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 03:09 AM   #4546
Nale72
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjw View Post
What fuss? The 1000 or so OCD users on a fanboy (myself included, no offense) forum on the internet??? That's not a fuss. That's a whine by a teeny tiny percentage of users (and remember, usually only complainers post anyway, the happy folks have no reason to come on and spout off about everything being "fine").

And if you don't remember problems with previous generations that's mighty selective of you... The Original iPhone had that awful chrome bezel (that if it didn't have scratches out of the box it would within hours...), 3G/S had a plastic back that often cracked on the edges where it met the phone's body AND had the bezel issues too, and the 4 had ANTENNAGATE, yellow screen "gate" and glass that people couldn't help themselves from breaking! Even the 4S had "batterygate" and blue/yellow screen "gate" even if it solved "antennagate".

None of these were "real" problems unless you buy into the whole forums being reality thing. If that's the case Apple would be out of business by now with all the disasters it's facing...

This "none of my old iPhones had any problems out of the box" LIE, is a lot like remembering ex-girlfriends. If you find a flaw with your current gf the memory of your ex gets a little more rosey...
This is my first iPhone and I just recently signed up on this forum. Even though I haven't read posts on any Mac/iPhone forums I've heard of some of the issues from the earlier models. However, I had never heard anywhere about large amounts of scuffed units out of the box with any other phone or product in the past, as seems to be the case with the IP5.

Even though I hadn't signed up or read on any Mac/iPhone forums, I would have been well aware of IP5 issues like horrible maps and easy scuffing/scuffed right out of the box. This becaues there have been several articles about it in regular newspapers and on other web sites/forums I read.

Just because the number of people complaining on this very forum is tiny compared to the total number of iPhones sold doesn't equal that nobody else have any problems. Many people will complain to friends, directly to Apple or the store they bought the phone from etc. , without posting it on this or any other tech forum. But just because there aren't more complaints here doesn't mean there aren't any.

I can't believe that you don't realize that this and earlier issues have been "real" issues and problems, even for "normal" people, not reading this kind of forums. And I can't believe the extent that some of you to defend Apple saying these aren't real issues or that it's perfectly normal to get a scuffed product out of the box. No, it's not acceptable or normal to get a scuffed product out of the box regardless of the maker of it or the price and especially not when it comes to an Apple product when it's the most expensive phone you can buy and when Apple have made their best telling us all how stunning it is.

For your information my IP5 was flawless from the box, but I still believe and understand that Apple have/have had quality problems with the IP5 that might hurt them in the future if they don't address it. To not be able to take that in you must be a pretty hardcore Apple fan with huge blinders on.
Nale72 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:30 AM   #4547
AppleFanatic10
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to AppleFanatic10 Send a message via Skype™ to AppleFanatic10
Quote:
Originally Posted by desistyle View Post
And I just dropped mine! *****!!!!

Attachment 384267
Ouch! Looks awful.
RIP Grandma 5/10/1930 - 9/24/2012
AppleFanatic10 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 06:39 AM   #4548
cpthk
macrumors newbie

I realized a lot of people thnk they have the flawless black iphone, but when I checked it for them, I found few small scuffs. There are some scuffs or scratches that are fairly small, you have to check really really carefully. I also noticed some paint issue, it is about 1mm. The paint is not finished perfectly, so even though the dot is in black color, but the shine looks differently. My guess is that something touched the paint while the black paint was being dryed. Apple really screwed up big time.

This Christimas I bought total 3 iphones, 2 in black, 1 in white. All 3 are purchased at 12/23. Both of the black color iphones have scuffs. I replaced with bestbuy 5 times, and still cannot get the perfect one. Right now I still have both black iphone with few scuffs on them. I think the bestbuy people almost put me on their black list and banned me from the store since I exchanged too many times. This really isn't my fault, the Apple's quality control really screwed up this time. Since I replaced so many times, I became an expert now on analyzing the phone out from the box.

Even the white one has some scratches on them near the screws(next to the charging port). The scratches are in lines. They are actually dent in, you could feel it when you rub it. The scratches are different from the black ones, they are not at the edge. They look like the worker in China acidently scratched it when they put in the screws.

I am fairly certain that a number of people vote for "flawless", didn't really check throughly or didn't notice, just because the persons near me also thought they got the flawless iphone black, but not until I find the scuffs for them. I think I am going back to bestbuy to return all of my iphone black ones and get the white ones. I will be staying away from the black ones for now until Apple resolve this issue on the 5S or something.

Last edited by cpthk; Dec 25, 2012 at 06:45 AM.
cpthk is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 08:19 AM   #4549
E2EK1EL
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpthk View Post
I realized a lot of people thnk they have the flawless black iphone, but when I checked it for them, I found few small scuffs. There are some scuffs or scratches that are fairly small, you have to check really really carefully. I also noticed some paint issue, it is about 1mm. The paint is not finished perfectly, so even though the dot is in black color, but the shine looks differently. My guess is that something touched the paint while the black paint was being dryed. Apple really screwed up big time.

This Christimas I bought total 3 iphones, 2 in black, 1 in white. All 3 are purchased at 12/23. Both of the black color iphones have scuffs. I replaced with bestbuy 5 times, and still cannot get the perfect one. Right now I still have both black iphone with few scuffs on them. I think the bestbuy people almost put me on their black list and banned me from the store since I exchanged too many times. This really isn't my fault, the Apple's quality control really screwed up this time. Since I replaced so many times, I became an expert now on analyzing the phone out from the box.

Even the white one has some scratches on them near the screws(next to the charging port). The scratches are in lines. They are actually dent in, you could feel it when you rub it. The scratches are different from the black ones, they are not at the edge. They look like the worker in China acidently scratched it when they put in the screws.

I am fairly certain that a number of people vote for "flawless", didn't really check throughly or didn't notice, just because the persons near me also thought they got the flawless iphone black, but not until I find the scuffs for them. I think I am going back to bestbuy to return all of my iphone black ones and get the white ones. I will be staying away from the black ones for now until Apple resolve this issue on the 5S or something.

This is true, most ppl who claim they have a flawless IP5 are blind and tend to get very upset when I personally check their phones. You need to have an eagle eye + very bright lamp + microfiber cloths + fine brush to really do a full and proper examination. After my personal QC, I really get rude response like "Thanks! I REALLLLLLLLLY needed to see that!"

I honestly can see the scruffs more visible with the white vers from a fairly far distance, it's coming from the reflections of the room lights on the polished aluminum chamfers. The blacks are harder, b/c it can be mistaken as everyday dust or debris.

I've went through 3 swaps since launch day, it's very exhausting and tiring. IMO as long as the scuffs are micro scuffs; kept to a minimum by the charge port, it shouldn't bother anyone, even the most OCDs. I've personally have given up, rather have the micro scuffs instead the other hardware defects, such as the really yellow tinted screens and all the other unpleasant stuff.

The crazy thing about me, I can see all the car dents and dings with cars driving by or along side my car on the roads. The true eagle eyes for QC'ing are the guys who work at the high end car manufactures, the QC'ers for paint and body work and they don't even need any type of special lights LOL

I've noticed the new generation of iPods have amazing final production builds, out of all the colours I've checked with my friends and even the fresh store demo units all have zero scuffs on them.

For the guys who are getting scuffs while they're using their IP5s naked or in a case is indeed true. A lot of my friends who got the second batch after the 4am on the preorder day seem to suffer from this the most since they were rushed out to keep up with the demands.

The anodizing was not cured and sealed properly, it must be settled in the sealer tank at 200f for 30 mins for the process to work. A lot of ppl tend not to understand a properly cured and sealed anodized IP5 will handle everyday use without the anodizing flaking off until I show them the video posted here back in October.

http://youtu.be/GxFx3xktAbQ

Of course with major physical impact of concrete, tiles and other types of metals scrapping across will cause some damages.

Last edited by E2EK1EL; Dec 25, 2012 at 09:05 AM.
E2EK1EL is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 09:33 AM   #4550
drew0020
macrumors 65816

I bought an unlocked 16GB iPhone 5 in white for my brother for Christmas. It was delivered last night and has a dent at the bottom near the dock connector. The quality control still sucks after almost 4 months on the market.

I've had 3 myself and all have obvious dents and dings (and all had small scratches). I learned to live with it but disappointing.
drew0020 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone