Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kirodoc

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2012
I should note that in an old thread, someone posted that they had fixed this graphics glitch, using a different engine. So, I know a solution exists, but his method to fix it wasn't as detailed as I needed it.

----------

Hey there, thanks for the reply. This is the thread that got me in the right direction http://portingteam.com/index.php/files/file/3954-the-temple-of-elemental-evil/

It looks like they ended up using wineskin to change the engine in Crossover. Toward the bottom of the thread, HiPhish gives a quick explanation on how to do this. Does that make sense?

Wineskin Winery 1.7 is the right version... "Wineskin Winery" is a tool for using Wineskin. The main Wineskin wrapper version is something you'll download inside of Winery... which current version is 2.5.8.

I don't understand how your trying to use Wineskin though when you say your running in Crossover... you don't use both, they are different tools that do a similar job.

I don't know any specifics about that game though... you might find its entry in the WineHQ.org AppDB and see what are some things other people have done to get it to work.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
It looks like they ended up using wineskin to change the engine in Crossover. Toward the bottom of the thread, HiPhish gives a quick explanation on how to do this. Does that make sense?

They changed to a Wineskin engine that was built off Crossover Wine source...

There are still several of these available you can see in Wineskin Winery.

Kirodoc

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2012
They changed to a Wineskin engine that was built off Crossover Wine source...

There are still several of these available you can see in Wineskin Winery.

OK, I think I'm looking in the right place. I looked in the 4 examples in wineHQ.org, but they all have the same bug note (3D graphics overlay glitch), which is precisely what I'm trying to fix.

When you say, "They changed to a Wineskin engine that was built off Crossover Wine source", that's what I'm trying to do and I guess I'm not understanding how to do it. Can you link me where that is explained, with the idea that I'm trying to fix an existing game in progress, rather than start form scratch?

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
OK, I think I'm looking in the right place. I looked in the 4 examples in wineHQ.org, but they all have the same bug note (3D graphics overlay glitch), which is precisely what I'm trying to fix.

When you say, "They changed to a Wineskin engine that was built off Crossover Wine source", that's what I'm trying to do and I guess I'm not understanding how to do it. Can you link me where that is explained, with the idea that I'm trying to fix an existing game in progress, rather than start form scratch?
When you look at available engines in Wineskin Winery...
if they are like WS9WineX.X.X then its built off normal Wine
if they are like WS9CX11.2.0 then that one would be built off the Wine source used for Crossover 11.2 ... you just download that engine, and in the wrapper, you simply change it over to that engine instead.

Kirodoc

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2012
yes, dragging the old game install to it should enable old saves

OK, I downloaded that wrapper and got a folder named tee2 and in that folder was an application called Temple of elelmental evil. Clicking on the app does nothing.

I also can't seem to find any of my game files in crossover. I locate the crossover folder, but inside seems to only be crossover icons in the crossover wrapper, that I use to start my game. I really don't know what I'm doing or what I'm exactly looking for. This is a few firsts, so I'm very unfamiliar with crossover, wine and how to use these ports and wrappers. I managed to intuitively get crossover working, after some research, but I still felt like I didn't know what I was doing.

The answers to these questions are what I need.

What exactly do I need to have installed to fix this? Can I just install that wrapper from the link? Do I need Wineskin or another app to use that wrapper? How do I transfer my current game files over to the new wrapper?

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
OK, I downloaded that wrapper and got a folder named tee2 and in that folder was an application called Temple of elelmental evil. Clicking on the app does nothing.

I also can't seem to find any of my game files in crossover. I locate the crossover folder, but inside seems to only be crossover icons in the crossover wrapper, that I use to start my game. I really don't know what I'm doing or what I'm exactly looking for. This is a few firsts, so I'm very unfamiliar with crossover, wine and how to use these ports and wrappers. I managed to intuitively get crossover working, after some research, but I still felt like I didn't know what I was doing.

The answers to these questions are what I need.

What exactly do I need to have installed to fix this? Can I just install that wrapper from the link? Do I need Wineskin or another app to use that wrapper? How do I transfer my current game files over to the new wrapper?

You need the game. The link I gave you is to the wrapper only, you need to supply the game yourself. I used PC version from http://www.gog.com.
The crossover wrapper probably have the game files inside the c_drive folder which probably is inside resources or something.

Kirodoc

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2012
Oh yeah, I have the game from GoG. That's the thing that brought me here. I've been playing the game, patched with the Co8 mod and noticed this graphics glitch.

Anyway, I've located the game files in crossover, but nothing seems to be working. If anyone knows what the heck I need to do, I'd appreciate some direction. I don't know what goes where.

Also, do I need to download Wine to use this? I don't have wine, just wineskin winery.

Last edited:

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Oh yeah, I have the game from GoG. That's the thing that brought me here. I've been playing the game, patched with the Co8 mod and noticed this graphics glitch.

Anyway, I've located the game files in crossover, but nothing seems to be working. If anyone knows what the heck I need to do, I'd appreciate some direction. I don't know what goes where.

Also, do I need to download Wine to use this? I don't have wine, just wineskin winery.

If you are talking about the one i linked, its just straight forward putting your installed game into the correct folder. No need for anything else

Kirodoc

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2012
If you are talking about the one i linked, its just straight forward putting your installed game into the correct folder. No need for anything else

Yeah, I did that and nothing happens. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I must be missing some small detail. The wrapper you linked gives me a folder with an .app inside called Temple of Elemental Evil. I went to Crossover and grabbed the Folder for my game and dropped it in the folder from your link, with the .app. I try and launch the app and it looks like it's going to go and then nothing happens.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Yeah, I did that and nothing happens. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I must be missing some small detail. The wrapper you linked gives me a folder with an .app inside called Temple of Elemental Evil. I went to Crossover and grabbed the Folder for my game and dropped it in the folder from your link, with the .app. I try and launch the app and it looks like it's going to go and then nothing happens.

Right click the app. Choose Show Package Contents.
The go to c_drive/Program Files/gog.com/ and drop your already installed Temple of Elemental Evil folder

Kirodoc

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2012
Right click the app. Choose Show Package Contents.
The go to c_drive/Program Files/gog.com/ and drop your already installed Temple of Elemental Evil folder

Right click which app? The app from the wrapper you provided or the app in Crossover?

OK, here's what I have done.

1. Right clicked on your app and did show package contents. There was a folder in there called Contents.

2. I then opened Crossover chose the tab Manage Bottles. I clicked on my TOEE bottle and opened up the folder in C:/Program Files/GOG/ and grabbed the Temple of Elemental Evil folder.

3. I then put that folder into the contents from your app.

4. I then tried to launch the app and nothing happened.

Was that correct?

Last edited:

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Right click which app? The app from the wrapper you provided or the app in Crossover?

OK, here's what I have done.

1. Right clicked on your app and did show package contents. There was a folder in there called Contents.

2. I then opened Crossover chose the tab Manage Bottles. I clicked on my TOEE bottle and opened up the folder in C:/Program Files/GOG/ and grabbed the Temple of Elemental Evil folder.
Yes so far correct.
3. I then put that folder into the contents from your app.
did you put it into:
Contents/c_drive/Program Files/GoG.com/ ?
4. I then tried to launch the app and nothing happened.
Was that correct?
If nothing happens, then something is wrong.

Kirodoc

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2012
DONE!

Oh my...I'm so sorry. I was missing a small detail...

Thank you so very much for hanging in there with me. Graphics glitch is gone. Hopefully no more crashes either.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Erko

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2011
Estonia
Hey, this is kinda off topic, but can anyone tell me which has better performance in gaming, wine or parallels/fusion? I'd like to install some games on my macbook and Id like to know whether I should obtain a copy of Parallels or just use Wine and possibly get Crossovergames in the future.
Not interested in bootcamp as Im too lazy to boot into windows every time I want game on the go.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
DONE!

Thank you so very much for hanging in there with me. Graphics glitch is gone. Hopefully no more crashes either.

Thanks again.
No problems!

Hey, this is kinda off topic, but can anyone tell me which has better performance in gaming, wine or parallels/fusion? I'd like to install some games on my macbook and Id like to know whether I should obtain a copy of Parallels or just use Wine and possibly get Crossovergames in the future.
Not interested in bootcamp as Im too lazy to boot into windows every time I want game on the go.

Depends.
Using wine based wrappers can be faster, but not always.
It also requires more from the user to get it running.

Erko

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2011
Estonia
Depends.
Using wine based wrappers can be faster, but not always.
It also requires more from the user to get it running.
Ok, thanks, will probably opt for Wine then. Used wrappers from portingteam.com to install Morrowind and Far Cry 2 and everything worked like a charm(except for performance in FC2. 9400m just doesn't seem to handle it)

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Ok, thanks, will probably opt for Wine then. Used wrappers from portingteam.com to install Morrowind and Far Cry 2 and everything worked like a charm(except for performance in FC2. 9400m just doesn't seem to handle it)

Wine is free, so you can always try that out first.
However making own wrappers requires some practice, so don't give up at the start.
portingteam.com is one of the better places to ask for advice to get games running, and you can use winehq.org for info about settings for various games.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
DONE!

Thanks again.

Glad to hear it worked! I just successfully used Wineskin for the first time (after a couple of unsuccessful attempts) for an old Windows space-sim ("Terminus"), and looking back, it really wasn't that hard...but there were a couple of small details I was unaware of, and didn't take into account.

TOEE is a *great* game! If you got it up and running, I might have to go back and take a look at that again...I got midway through it years ago, had to put it down, and never got back to it. I saw the Circle of Eight mods, and my jaw dropped...those guys know how to get into a game!

jtc5204

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012
Help with Wineskin

Iv downloaded Wineskin and installed the latest engine, yet it still will not let me click on the create a new wrapper button. I am assuming I did something wrong along the way if anyone could help me that would be a huge help.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Iv downloaded Wineskin and installed the latest engine, yet it still will not let me click on the create a new wrapper button. I am assuming I did something wrong along the way if anyone could help me that would be a huge help.

Hm...could it be a permissions issue ? Is your login account an administrative one ?

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009

the button stays grayed out until you have at least 1 engine to use, and the master wrapper to make it from... so make sure you have a wrapper and an engine selected to use, and the button will light up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.