Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Apple has nothing to fear.

If you're a developer you likely not going to extend a bunch of effort to skip Apple's Map API and write to Google when you can't guarantee that the end user has Google Maps installed on their iDevice.

Basically this move is great. It shuts people up but there's no chance that Google can make a beachhead against the native Mapping solution. People, by and large, are going to go with what came with their phone.

this is true.

WhoDaKat

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
Except a few things.

Apple isn't giving users the choice. GOOGLE gave people the choice. They could have not created an App and then you'd be stuck with Apple's maps. So how is it that APPLE gave anyone a choice?

Second - Google got exactly what they wanted. Now they get all the data they wanted that Apple wouldn't give them.

Seems like you are a little biased in your assessment there buddy.

WRONG.

Apple could have denied their app. In fact, when the whole thing started all the bloggers were tripping over themselves to be the first to say Apple was going to deny their app anyway. And perhaps you haven't seen the map section on iOS where Apple shows you all the different mapping options we have on iOS, including Google Maps. Even if they didn't deny the app, they didn't have to promote it!

Second, Goggle didn't get what they wanted! Now you have to opt into Google eco system. I'll be using my native maps so no biggie to me. Sell yourselves all day long if you want. Google could have built this app a year ago, and they would be the native maps on iOS and you never would have heard of Apple maps, but thats not what they did! Oh no, they had to try to strong arm negotiate and they got clowned.

I'm business savvy biased. I certainly don't think Apple meant to stumble with their maps (although the extent of that stumbling is up for interpretation, unless you are a fandroid of course) but you can't argue with the results. Turn by turn on iOS via Google or Apple. Enjoy your Google maps!

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
Again who says Google had any say over a stock iphone app? I highly doubt Google did any of the coding or had any voice in the app other than Apple using their API. The amount of control Apple employs says the stock Google maps app was made in-house by Apple developers.

Apple has nothing to fear.

If you're a developer you likely not going to extend a bunch of effort to skip Apple's Map API and write to Google when you can't guarantee that the end user has Google Maps installed on their iDevice.

Basically this move is great. It shuts people up but there's no chance that Google can make a beachhead against the native Mapping solution. People, by and large, are going to go with what came with their phone.

Why would one have to have Google's maps app installed to make use of their web API's?

WhoDaKat

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
Except I'm much older than 14 and have been a marketing/PR professional for over 20 years. I think I know a little more about marketing, PR and recognizing "spin" when I see it. OR rather - poor logic of a blogger/reporter who is either creating a sensationalist piece for link bait or who genuinely is ill-informed.

Yes I'm so sure that you are. I don't have to worry about whether your talking out your &&#$ or not, due to that whole critical thinking and logic thing. But seriously... I'm sure you are what you say you are! LOL Cause no one lies on the internet. :eek:

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
dumbest thing i've read all day

further, with the SDK, lots of apps will now use Google Maps instead of Apple's solution

You mean an SDK that isn't even available yet? That's not going to happen. Switching from a Google backend to a Apple Maps backend required very little code changes. We don't know what kind changes the SDK will require for Google and asking your customers to download Google maps versus just using the Apple apps that work with Siri and the rest of the OS isn't going to happen. Your asking for your app to be deleted.

DMinTX

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
Yet another article claiming Google was the one holding back. Yet many here claim this whole situation is all about Apple's ego...

raam89

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
The Golden state
Lol apple fanboy spin.

I agree! This is a lame fanboy spin on it. The Apple that I have known so far doesn't take one for the team to force someone else ( arch rival, in this case) to deliver. Apple stands in the forefront to deliver and let everyone else follow the lead.
What happened with the maps fiasco was Apple tried hard to deliver a good mapping product in a short span of time ( the UX and UI is spectacular in the Apple maps) but could not deliver simply because of lack of data. They accepted the defeat and let the competitors with proven track record play from the front..... for now.....

The way I see it, now that google maps is in the app store, there won't be too many complaints about maps in the iPhone and Apple can keep working on improving theirs.
nothing more, nothing less...

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Why would one have to have Google's maps app installed to make use of their web API's?

They don't but if you think consumers are going to be happy with a web view of Google Maps i've got a bridge to sell you. Google Maps is good...it's not THAT good.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
"Bottom line: Apple took one for the team (ate some ****) and fooled Google into doing exactly what Apple has been asking for years."

Sure. And Ping was just a way to get Facebook to update their iOS app.

Nobody said that Apple was relying on that all along, but that is in fact what happened. So either way we win! Apple invested a ton of money and time to build Maps and still will in perfecting it. I don't think all of that is just a ploy. But Apple and their users sure made out well!

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
They don't but if you think consumers are going to be happy with a web view of Google Maps i've got a bridge to sell you. Google Maps is good...it's not THAT good.

It's the same data that the new apps maps pulls from... Last time I check iOS does allow one app to use another like the way you believe it does. There are no means for one app to make use of another.

tomashi

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2008
Just because consumers came out ahead does NOT mean Apple planned this. Worst freaking arguement I've ever heard. Correlation is not causation. How could Apple plan that google would come up with a "better" map for iOS? Why did someone at Apple have to take the fall for the failure?

Lot of holes, this is shoddy reporting. I'm disappointed MacRumors.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Yet another article claiming Google was the one holding back. Yet many here claim this whole situation is all about Apple's ego...

The most reasonable explanation is that it was a simple negotiation. Apple wanted access to additional data for vector maps, turn-by-turn, etc. Google wanted something in return that Apple was unwilling to give them. They couldn't come to an agreement, so they parted ways in this area.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Google Maps isn't perfect either, even though they've had about a 5 year head-start over Apple.

As per this article:

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2012/121312-australia-google-maps-265083.html?hpg1=bn

:eek:

True... Google has made some mistakes. Who hasn't.

But there's one area where Google shines... maps.google.com on my desktop browser.

I use Google Maps on my computer every day. And now that I can sync my search history from my computer to my iPhone... I'm gonna use it even more.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
It's the same data that the new apps maps pulls from... Last time I check iOS does allow one app to use another like the way you believe it does. There are no means for one app to make use of another.

Have you watched the WWDC videos on Mapkit? If not I recommend it. There's stuff that mapkit does smartly that I don't get when I'm using a web based mapping tool.

I'd love for 10.9 to have a full on Mac version of Mapkit to leverage the same intelligence.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Your post is nothing but pathetic, hate filled ignorance. Grow up and try reading a book now and again.

Oh dear.

Thanks for that highly insightful response. I feel truly enlightened.

(and FYI, there's a difference between 'hate filled ignorance', and 'pissed off with companies trying to bottle out of their mistakes and people being dumb enough to believe it')

Everyone makes mistakes. I just wish the likes of Apple, Google (heck lets throw MS and Samsung, and Sony in here as well) would actually be slightly more PR friendly instead of attempting to act as if nothings wrong, and everything went to plan.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I think it definitely turned out that way, but I don't think it was an intentional strategy on Apple's part.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
This will only give Apple more time to work on their maps since they know they weren't 100% ready. Maps 2.0 coming along with the redesigned iOS 7 in 2013.

2012 focus was hardware.
2013 focus is software.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
This is why Apple need to fully integrate Google Maps into iOS, like they did for Facebook and Twitter. There's no reason Apple shouldn't be willing to work with 3rd parties to make the best mobile experience ever.

Full integration with these services would make it a STELLAR OS:

Facebook
Twitter
Google Maps
Google Search
Dropbox
Flickr

WhoDaKat

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
Just because consumers came out ahead does NOT mean Apple planned this. Worst freaking arguement I've ever heard. Correlation is not causation. How could Apple plan that google would come up with a "better" map for iOS? Why did someone at Apple have to take the fall for the failure?

Lot of holes, this is shoddy reporting. I'm disappointed MacRumors.

I'm disappointed you look for reporting from a site called MacRumors. That in itself speaks volumes about you. Correlation is not causation? Did you have a big English exam today? You are totally right. It was all a big coincidence! Even if you are that naive, in the end iOS users win and haters get to keep on hating! How could Apple plan Google would come up with a "better" map? Of course Google wasn't going to let 150 million users slip through their fingers, of course they were going to release an app. Now, lets use our brains here.... did you think Google would release an app that was worse then their old app? Um, going out on a limb here but I'm going to say they did not intend to make a worse app.

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
Have you watched the WWDC videos on Mapkit? If not I recommend it. There's stuff that mapkit does smartly that I don't get when I'm using a web based mapping tool.

I'd love for 10.9 to have a full on Mac version of Mapkit to leverage the same intelligence.

Okay, again that only effects Apple's maps (since iOS 6 do they still have access to GMM?). Your comment that developers would not use google's was because they would need to have google's app installed as a prerequisite was silly let alone incorrect. The brand new app (developed by google) just makes use of their web API's, the same API's developers can/will have access to.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I agree with the result, but whoever thinks Apple orchestrated this whole thing to make Google to include TbT directions for iOS needs to come back down to planet Earth.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
The angry replies are from people who just knew Apple wouldn't approve the Google Maps app, and now that they did, they were proven wrong and don't have anything to whine about ;)

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
1. Ship early beta quality Map app.
2. ?
3. Profit.

Now we know what step 2 is:

2. Blame and fire Scott Forstall and get Google to release their Map app for free.

</sarcasm>

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
I doubt this is the case, but I am really happy with the fact I now have Google Maps with stuff like turn by turn!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.