Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexjholland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Hey, I am soon to order my iPhone 5 for personal use; at which point I will take the SIM card from my horrible office-provided Blackberry, snip it down to size and put it into my iPhone 4 to use as my office phone - banishing the Blackberry to my drawer!

I'd like to clarify the procedure and implications of having a second iPhone to use for work, which I'll use to run all our emails and company's apps (we're a major international publishing company with various apps to demo to consumers, as well as Salesforce for corporate use).

Work/Home division is key, so I'll have:

Home setup: iMac, Macbook, iPhone 5, iPad
Purchases Apple ID: alex...@gmail.com
iCloud Apple ID: alex..@iCloud.com

Office setup: Windows laptop, iPhone 4 (possibly another iPad here too later)
Purchases Apple ID: alex..@PUBLISHINGCOMPANY.com
iCloud Apple ID: alex.PUBLISHING COMPANY@iCloud.com

Reason for suggesting seperate accounts for my Office setup being that my iPhone 4 will dock with the Windows computer and use completely different apps, so I want to keep it seperate.

However, I only have one bank account. Can I set up a new Apple ID with a bank account I'm already using on another?

About the only thing in common with these phones, is that I'll load my corporate Outlook on both, deactivating everything except the calendar on the iPhone 5 so that at least I can ensure my home and work calendars don't clash there..

Damn. I just realised that my home calendar is on my iCloud, so I cannot access that on my corporate iPhone 4 because it will have a different Apple ID, owning to the desire to sync bookmarks between my Windows laptop and iPhone 4.

Really everything would be simple and seperate if not for wanting both calendars on both phones.. Unless I give up on syncing bookmarks between corporate computer and corporate phone and use my Home iCloud for my corporate phone?

If that was the case, could I use one Apple ID iCloud for both home and corporate; keeping completely different apps on each phone?

I do hope this makes sense; I'm sure others have tried to do similar!

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Strange company that would allow you to pull out and cut up their sim card. An iPhone needs an iPhone plan?? Unless you are running the company you may have a problem.....

Also an iPhone won't work with a blackberry server and a blackberry will not sync with an Exchange server. They are very different.

alexjholland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oh. I have an unlocked iPhone that takes any Sim card, so I assumed I could just drop it in and it would work?

I know colleagues who are higher-ranked use iPhones; we just don't get given a big enough budget to choose one as we're only Execs.

You sure this wouldn't work then?

Perhaps I should tell them my plan and ask to get an iPhone SIM card?

----------

Regarding emails, I should also mention that we have a widget we can download from our corporate site that gives you full Exchange settings on an iOS device.

I tested it on my personal iPhone for some weeks and had full Outlook Exchange mail, calendar and contacts.. So surely I could cut the SIM down and it would just need to do voice calls and texts, which should work?

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
It should work. As long as you have permission to do this it sounds like you can make it work. :apple:

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
Oh. I have an unlocked iPhone that takes any Sim card, so I assumed I could just drop it in and it would work?

I know colleagues who are higher-ranked use iPhones; we just don't get given a big enough budget to choose one as we're only Execs.

You sure this wouldn't work then?

Perhaps I should tell them my plan and ask to get an iPhone SIM card?

----------

Regarding emails, I should also mention that we have a widget we can download from our corporate site that gives you full Exchange settings on an iOS device.

I tested it on my personal iPhone for some weeks and had full Outlook Exchange mail, calendar and contacts.. So surely I could cut the SIM down and it would just need to do voice calls and texts, which should work?

Yes it will work. The Blackberry SIM will allow data/web to work on an iPhone and since you have email/Exchange figured out you should be set.

I have done a similar thing so that I could use my unlimited international Blackberry on an iPhone.

alexjholland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Thanks guys, sounds like it WILL work.

Questions still remain about the best way to set it up.

As mentioned, initially I wanted to setup a separate iCloud for my Business setup, so that I'd have a unique set of bookmarks by installing Windows iCloud for my corporate needs.

However that would mean I have none of my personal iCloud calendar details on the corporate phone, so I wouldn't know when I'm on holiday whilst booking appointments!

So I'm now thinking of using the SAME iCloud account as I already do for Home on my Business setup to ensure calendars are identical on both phones; but I'll have to forgo having bookmarks synced onto the iPhone from my corporate Windows laptop..

Question then, will be can I have my Home's iMac for docking iPhone 5 AND Business's Windows laptop for docking iPhone 4 both running from the same Apple ID? I'd need completely different apps on each phone..

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Wow, another forum have pointed out that I can SHARE calendars!

So I can make a second account and share the calendar from the first!

Only question: Can I use the same bank account on two Apple IDs?!

you can access calendar's from two different icloud accounts on same iphone....I have two different @me.com accounts that are logged into my iPhone 5, I can sync notes between two accounts at same time, mail, calendars etc. when you go under mail in settings you can add it and then all the options that are currently availabel in your icloud account be available as well.

As for bank account stuff your asking. For iCloud you don't need to link a bank account. You only need to link a bank account if you plan on purchasing apps with TWO different apple ID's but since they are both coming out of your same bank account then whats the point of having two Apple-App-Store ID's to purchase apps? Wouldn't it be smarter and more convenient to just purchase apps with one?

In Simple terms: You can have two separate iCloud accounts but have 1 App-Store Account (The one you currently have will work just fine) this way all your app purchases are available on one account. While your mail, contacts, notes, calendar can be separated between two iCloud/Me.com accounts.

Here is what it should look like:

Purchases Apple ID: alex..@gmail.com
iCloud Apple ID: alex.PUBLISHING COMPANY@iCloud.com (Primary)
alex...@gmail.com (Secondary - As in add it on ur iPhone 4 after signing into your primary one under the iCloud tab)

As for Apps just turn off downloading automatic apps on your corporate devices so that when ever you download random apps on your personal devices they don't automatically show up on your corporate devices as I'm sure you wont be downloading a whole lot of apps every so often on your corporate devices.

Sync your iPhone 4 (& possibly the iPad that you may get later for corporate use) to your Windows Laptop at work.

Keep your home setup just the way it is.

alexjholland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Of course! I forgot about the 'PAYMENT' and 'iCLOUD' Apple IDs being separate!

You seem to have understood my scenario perfectly; and provided great clarity. I feel confident that this should work; and work well!

Cannot wait to get this setup, as the iPhone destroys the BB for business!

Many thanks!

ndredsox

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2009
Hey, I am soon to order my iPhone 5 for personal use; at which point I will take the SIM card from my horrible office-provided Blackberry, snip it down to size and put it into my iPhone 4 to use as my office phone - banishing the Blackberry to my drawer!

I'd like to clarify the procedure and implications of having a second iPhone to use for work, which I'll use to run all our emails and company's apps (we're a major international publishing company with various apps to demo to consumers, as well as Salesforce for corporate use).

Work/Home division is key, so I'll have:

Purchases Apple ID: alex..@PUBLISHINGCOMPANY.com
iCloud Apple ID: alex.PUBLISHING COMPANY@iCloud.com

Reason for suggesting seperate accounts for my Office setup being that my iPhone 4 will dock with the Windows computer and use completely different apps, so I want to keep it seperate.

However, I only have one bank account. Can I set up a new Apple ID with a bank account I'm already using on another?

About the only thing in common with these phones, is that I'll load my corporate Outlook on both, deactivating everything except the calendar on the iPhone 5 so that at least I can ensure my home and work calendars don't clash there..

Damn. I just realised that my home calendar is on my iCloud, so I cannot access that on my corporate iPhone 4 because it will have a different Apple ID, owning to the desire to sync bookmarks between my Windows laptop and iPhone 4.

Really everything would be simple and seperate if not for wanting both calendars on both phones.. Unless I give up on syncing bookmarks between corporate computer and corporate phone and use my Home iCloud for my corporate phone?

If that was the case, could I use one Apple ID iCloud for both home and corporate; keeping completely different apps on each phone?

I do hope this makes sense; I'm sure others have tried to do similar!

Does your BB run connected to a BES(Blackberry Enterprise Server)? If so, your email is configured to run through the BES to connect. Usually, OMA is disabled and if this is the case and you wouldn't be able to connect to ActiveSync for exchange email.
If they have enabled a third party MDM(mobile device management), you are screwed the first time you remove the sim. It will automatically alert and/or disable access to your corporate environment.
If your company is large enough and has enacted a BYOD environment, just ask your telecom manager to set your device up. They can do a imei swap so your device is registered correctly and you will have all the features you need.

I run he same iTunes account on my iMac, MBA, & work Windows 7 laptop. Might as well only buy an app once. You can always enable iTunes Match if you want to have your music on all computers. Do the same with my wife - same iTunes login.....but she has her own iCloud login/password for email, etc.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Of course! I forgot about the 'PAYMENT' and 'iCLOUD' Apple IDs being separate!

You seem to have understood my scenario perfectly; and provided great clarity. I feel confident that this should work; and work well!

Cannot wait to get this setup, as the iPhone destroys the BB for business!

Many thanks!

Yup and as i mentioned above you do not need to have two separate Payment ID's since they will be charging same bank account which doesn't make sense to be paying twice for some apps.

Having Two iCloud ID's makes perfect sense tho.

let me know how it all works out.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Does your BB run connected to a BES(Blackberry Enterprise Server)? If so, your email is configured to run through the BES to connect. Usually, OMA is disabled and if this is the case and you wouldn't be able to connect to ActiveSync for exchange email.
Depends on the environment. We have both. OP already said that his personal iPhone was set up with ActiveSync previously (see post 3).

alexjholland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Ordering iPhone 5 very soon.

I realised that actually one iCloud account probably makes sense.

- iCloud Match is indeed great; useful to have some music on my work laptop

- I use Google Chrome for my Windows browser (incompatible) and would likely share few tabs anyway; as our work websites don't have mobile versions; so I'll just turn off bookmark syncing on the work iPhone and load them manually on it.

- Contacts, email and calendars all come from our exchange anyway

- I have access to my usual contacts via iCloud on my work phone if needed too

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.