Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps

Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:07 PM   #1
gaanee
macrumors 6502a

Does Google Maps drain battery faster?

So... I jumped onto Google maps to test its navigation on 3GS. Even without the data connection or wifi it still shows the maps which was searched before, so looks like it caches the maps. I closed the app and it was still showing the locations symbol on top. After ~3 hours i noticed that the battery charge dropped from 80 to 30%. I didn't notice this much drop in charge while using Apple maps. Has anyone noticed similar behavior with Google maps and does it mean that although the app was closed it was still using location services and consuming battery? I had previously read that when you close an app it stays in a suspended state in the multitask bar.
gaanee is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:37 PM   #2
room237
macrumors 6502

I've been getting this too. Ever since I got google maps earlier today. I left work with a full charge. Now down to 60%. And usage time is equal to standby time so something is working very hard in the background.
room237 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps