Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

View Poll Results: Apple Maps or Google Maps?
Sticking with Apple Maps 101 42.44%
Going with Google Maps 137 57.56%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:29 PM   #76
ncaissie
macrumors 6502a

How do you get street view?
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:33 PM   #77
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edslunch View Post
Guess I'll stay with Apple.

Attachment 383345
I was having that same issue, strange.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaissie View Post
How do you get street view?
Tap and hold on a location, and in the little card at the bottom street view is hiding there
gmanist1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:35 PM   #78
ncaissie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanist1000 View Post
I was having that same issue, strange.

----------

Tap and hold on a location, and in the little card at the bottom street view is hiding there
Found it. Thanks
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:55 PM   #79
eelw
macrumors 6502

Nope, still using my standalone Garmin unit. But have both maps on my iPhone to check on traffic conditions.
eelw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:10 PM   #80
ncaissie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edslunch View Post
Guess I'll stay with Apple.

Attachment 383345

Mine says that too. Then when I check Apple Maps it makes me choose the Google one which then gives me the bus numbers and directions. (Ottawa Canada)
Strange
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:43 PM   #81
macadamanut
macrumors newbie

iphone 4s without cell service & the new Google maps

I have an iphone 4s without internet. I have a ATT Gophone chip in it just for emergency phone calls. Does the new Google maps work just with GPS and not having to have internet connection while traveling in my car? NavFree works for me but I would like to use the NEW Google Maps that just came out yesterday???

Thanks from a newbe
macadamanut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:09 PM   #82
Cooknn
macrumors 68020

Sticking with Apple Maps on my iPhone 5. Works great for me.
Cooknn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:11 PM   #83
cyks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by macadamanut View Post
Does the new Google maps work just with GPS and not having to have internet connection while traveling in my car?
It requires a data connection.
cyks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:13 PM   #84
jmann
macrumors 604

Location: On a bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
Send a message via Skype™ to jmann
Only for transit directions. But the navigation voice does sound nice. Far less robotic than Siri.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:15 PM   #85
AlphaVictor87
macrumors 6502a

I was ok with Apple maps until i found out their traffic information was complete crap. Oh and there was the one time that it took me 2 miles in the wrong direction and i ended up in some apartment complex trying to find a bar to meet up with some friends.

I've been using google's web app version, and now that this is released i LOVE it. This also gave me the push to re-download Gmail now that it got updated recently too and i just disabled apple's default mail app.
AlphaVictor87 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:26 PM   #86
roxxette
Banned

People that stick with apple maps are in denial, google maps is the dogs bollocks ! its amazing how much is missing from apple maps

Eventually they will catch up but atm theres no reason to bother with it.
roxxette is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:51 PM   #87
Jaypi
macrumors regular

I will still use Apple Maps just because the integration is much better and I never had problems with it.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:56 PM   #88
brylliant
Banned

Personally, I'm going to be using both. I like them both.
I like Apple Maps because of the integration with Siri but Google's one is more fluid and accurate (duh)

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbarvian View Post
Oh this is a really good point: iPhone 4 and 3GS users now get turn-by-turn in Maps. Apple's foolish for leaving that out.
Apple Logic = If it doesnt have Siri, don't let it use the voice for any of our Apps - except VoiceOver
brylliant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:01 PM   #89
kmpoboy2
macrumors 6502

Google maps doesn't have voice turn by turn here apparently, so I'll stick with apple maps that hasn't give me any problems so far.
kmpoboy2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:04 PM   #90
fsck-y dingo
macrumors 65816

I'm going with Google Maps.

I'd really like to have Apple Maps the way it is, but with Google's data. That's not going to happen, but it would be ideal.
fsck-y dingo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:13 PM   #91
zbarvian
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by brylliant View Post
Personally, I'm going to be using both. I like them both.
I like Apple Maps because of the integration with Siri but Google's one is more fluid and accurate (duh)

----------

Apple Logic = If it doesnt have Siri, don't let it use the voice for any of our Apps - except VoiceOver
Yeah, and Siri could most likely be supported on those devices, too, which is even sadder.
zbarvian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:28 PM   #92
irDigital0l

No turn by turn or flyover for iPhone 4 so why use Apple Maps?

Google maps has turn by turn, transit, street view, and soon offline maps.

Killer right there.
irDigital0l is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:57 PM   #93
Edslunch
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaissie View Post
Mine says that too. Then when I check Apple Maps it makes me choose the Google one which then gives me the bus numbers and directions. (Ottawa Canada)
Strange
I'm in Calgary. I see Google in the routing app list too but it doesn't work there either
Edslunch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:04 PM   #94
pdqgp
macrumors 65816

niether one

Motion X GPS Drive beats them both hands down for turn by turn and other uses.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:16 PM   #95
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyks View Post
Now, if only I could have Google back as the stock maps so I could once again use location based reminders, Find My ___, or my 3rd party apps.
I'd like the option of removing Apple maps altogether. Then replace with Google like my reliable iPhone 4 has. It's the only thing stopping me from buying an iPhone 5.

My iPhone 4 works great, but I'm in the mood for a new iPhone. I guess I'll wait for next years model.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:35 PM   #96
roxxette
Banned

Yeap being able to replace stock apps will be a great option, lets hope it happends sooner than later.
roxxette is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:00 PM   #97
BENJMNS
macrumors 6502

Waze for car navi. Saved me thirty minutes Rerouting me past traffic on the interstate.
BENJMNS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:11 AM   #98
big samm
macrumors 6502a

Will not use apple maps anymore that you can be certain!! Yes their app looks good and integration with siri and all but i need proper directions, and Google those that exactly FOR ME!!!
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:58 AM   #99
Kukulcan
macrumors 6502

I will probably continue to use Apple Maps as map data is accurate where I live. Here are a few observations:

Google Maps german voice is very nice, less robotic. But it is less exact with pronounciation of street names. Sometimes it makes strange pauses, sometimes it is just a flow of words:

"In 400 meters...pause...pause...pause...turn left"
"turnleftonthisstreetthenturnrightontheotherstreet"

Directions are shown in lock screen, but only text, often pretty long, nothing I feel safe to read while driving. Speech and text don't come always at the same time, a little disturbing.

Battery usage is quite bad on both, but data usage is 250K (Apple) vs. 1.5M (Google) for the same route. Google didn't find a server in our underground garage (same with Apple sometimes) but even when I was already in full LTE coverage I still needed to try half a dozen times - on the Autobahn already

General look & feel is better on Apple's maps IMO with search being better on Google's (as expected).

When entering a new street, Apple already tells you about next exit (which I think is a nice touch), while Google just says how long to follow.

Navigation itself is accurate on both where I live, Route selection is a matter of taste (nice that Google shows alternatives, but taking traffic into account both seem to offer very good routes).

Google Maps offers me no transit directions, not even with walking a few kilometers or suggesting a taxi like the website does. I didn't hope for it as Google's data does not include our local busses and trams.

The company I work for is on Google's Maps, but not on Apple's, my home location actually has a few more and more accurate POIs on Apple while Google has some more important ones. Both of them are pretty outdated.

So apple has the slight edge for what I need, will use it mostly for the lower data usage. If you want more POIs, live in one of Apple's forsaken countries like the UK or need street view the choice is obvious anyway.

Now why all the years and billions spent by Apple to finally have a TBT version of Google Maps on iOS? Anyway, choice is great and Google sure has the easier task to get their solution to perfection, if they offer offline maps earlier than Apple I sure will use their maps more.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:03 AM   #100
WeegieMac

Not a chance.

I have my TomTom app.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
No turn by turn or flyover for iPhone 4 so why use Apple Maps?

Google maps has turn by turn, transit, street view, and soon offline maps.

Killer right there.
Shame it lags on the 4 though, it's not the smoothest UI.
WeegieMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6