Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Dec 8, 2012, 04:55 PM   #76
Tomorrow
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixodes View Post
Congratulations for making one very wise decision. Facebook is nothing more than a money sucking time sink. Designed for the consumer centric society the USA has become.

Now you actually have time to learn more, earn more, and live a fulfilling life... face to face with those you care about.

Me? I've never had any desire to open a Facebook Account... thereby avoiding getting sucked into the vortex of narcissistic time wasting, mind numbing practices.

Cheers
I found this ironic, given the tone of your post. But as long as you believe you're better than everyone on Facebook, I suppose that's all that matters.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 05:26 PM   #77
eric/

The reason I still have a Facebook is that it's turned into my life diary.

For example, this Thanksgiving I toured Chicago with my significant other. We went to places, checked in, posted pictures, etc....

I really think it's cool that I can go and check in and do things like that. I have about 150 friends or so on Facebook, all of whom are family or friends that I've known for a long time. I never play games or really bother with anything other than that.

If I had a good way of telling that story, being able to show where I've been and what I've done, I would drop Facebook in a heartbeat.

Also, open to suggestions.
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 07:04 PM   #78
Ariii
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to Ariii Send a message via AIM to Ariii Send a message via MSN to Ariii Send a message via Yahoo to Ariii
I've always been wanting to delete mine.... nearly everybody I know uses it to schedule events, etc., instead of calling/texting people. FaceBook is trying to become a mini-internet, it doesn't let you access any content unless you have a FaceBook, and there's so many disadvantages to it. Also, I've found the content on nearly everything that's not FaceBook to be much more meaningful.

GeoCities > FaceBook IMO.
Tumblr
Ariii is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 07:57 PM   #79
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

As much as I don't care about the things people post on Facebook, someone a few years ago said something extremely defamatory about me one time (not on there, but somewhere else), it was so far over the top, it made me so angry, hurt, and frustrated. It made me think about how being extremely quiet for the last 10+ years has really screwed up my life in general.

Steve Jobs once said in an interview (it was that "lost" one even) that there are people who spend a lot of time using their computers because it's their only means of expressing themselves. That has been the case for me since pretty much since I learnt to talk. Well, not properly, they've been trying to do that for so many years now, and now I'm just getting worse since I haven't had those classes in almost 10 years now. But I've known how to type since I was a very, very, very little kid. I like having a conversation when I'm prepared for it, but otherwise I hate talking, I feel really stupid when I do, and I can hear myself being stupid and I will stumble once I have nothing else to say.

And because of my other disabilities, I can't do very much. I don't drive, I often trip over myself, I can only see out of one eye, so I sit in my room all day, browse news sites, post on some forums, watch/read iTunes U content, and try to keep myself busy. I go to school, only once a week (that's all that I can afford/handle), but it's also just a way to keep busy because I can only put that knowledge to doing stuff for my own projects.

So I only really post stuff on Facebook because of those comments someone made. They aren't even on Facebook themselves, but at least the friends that are on my list can't say the same things they did. The only problem that I really have is that everyone seems to be doing something that is fun and exciting, while I sit here doing nothing. So in turn, Facebook has made me feel really, really down every time I go through my news feed. I always think about deleting it for that reason, but then I also think of the negative effect that would have now.

I admit I'm one of those people that do play the games though (via my iOS devices anyway). But again, I have nothing better to do. Better to be doing that, chilling out, and not having a huge freak out like I have done on Twitter many, many, many times, and on Facebook on a few occasions now. Pretty much why I don't use Twitter now actually. Unless you have something to say, there's no point in posting.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:27 AM   #80
Prototypical
macrumors 6502

I truly don't get the hate for Facebook... It's a communication and networking tool if THAT is what you want it to be. It's a place to play silly, online games if THAT is what you want it to be. It's a place to keep track of your life in journal form (like someone said) if THAT is what you want it to be.

Facebook is what you choose to make of it. If you don't bother to learn how to use it properly, I'm sure it can get irritating. But seriously... Getting hundreds of random friend requests? Hide your profile. Tired of minute-by-minute updates about a high school friend's baby? Mute their feed (or de-friend them). Don't want the entire Internet reading everything about you? Change your security settings to show virtually nothing to non-friends (mine shows my name, my profile pic, and my location - PERIOD).

If you have 4,000 annoying friends on Facebook, that's your fault, not Facebook's. Find some better friends.
Prototypical is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:33 AM   #81
dinggus
Banned

Above said it best.

Don't add people you just met at a club and never talk to them!
dinggus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:08 PM   #82
opinioncircle
macrumors 6502a

I find it to be quite unfortunate that this beautiful idea to get across oceans and timezones social experience is turning out sour...

My example of one my friends living the life in Japan, my family scattered a bit across Europe and childhood friends to see what they're up to. How could that get any better?

I watched the Social Network last night and wondered really, what the world would be without Facebook?
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:11 PM   #83
colourfastt
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by opinioncircle View Post
I find it to be quite unfortunate that this beautiful idea to get across oceans and timezones social experience is turning out sour...

My example of one my friends living the life in Japan, my family scattered a bit across Europe and childhood friends to see what they're up to. How could that get any better?

I watched the Social Network last night and wondered really, what the world would be without Facebook?
Actually speaking to one's family and friends on the telephone or face-to-face?
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:24 PM   #84
Orange Crane
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by colourfastt View Post
And *gasp* the mail. The upside is it won't be long before we old timers will be able to charge money for hand writing letters. Yknow. For special occasions when nostalgia is warranted.

Facebook remains a useful tool for filtering out people who can't otherwise communicate effectively without it.
Orange Crane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:49 PM   #85
notjustjay
macrumors 603

Quote:
Well, yes and no...

For example I have a friend who recently gave birth to her second child, and I love seeing the photos she and her husband post of their children doing adorable things.

Do I expect them to call me up every night and say "Hey Jay! Guess what? Little Joey looked so cute in the pillow fort he made today! And you should have seen how Jane looked when she tried on mommy's dress!" This might be the sort of daily banter she'll have with her own mother, but I don't expect her to call up all her friends with this sort of news. Or print and mail photos every week to all her friends.

"Just go visit!", you say. Well, they live thousands of miles away now. I'll see them at a Christmas party in a few weeks, but that's about it.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:07 PM   #86
Xavier
macrumors 68020

It is interesting how Facebook has progressed over the years. When it originally came out, at least at my school, it was almost like a game to see how many friends you could get. Now, after finding out having over 2,000 friends that you don't really know or talk it, is not worth it, the real purpose emerges.

I have decided that I am going to give up Facebook for Lent and see how I feel after. I do find it to be a useful communication tool for events and people that I haven;t talked to in awhile, but I find probably 80 percent of it annoying. In my opinion, not worth it.

I've started to like Twitter and Instagram more because I like the content more and I can choose want I follow (at least on Twitter).
Xavier is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:27 PM   #87
63dot
macrumors 601

I did that after some time because it was so one-dimensional and I still liked MySpace better. I rejoined Facebook just for a short time for high school reunion as there are more older folk there vs. MySpace which seems to be a younger crowd. Some time from now I will jump off of Facebook again as there are too many real things to do, and yes virtual ones like Macrumors which is far more interesting.
63dot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:44 PM   #88
notjustjay
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
It is interesting how Facebook has progressed over the years. When it originally came out, at least at my school, it was almost like a game to see how many friends you could get. Now, after finding out having over 2,000 friends that you don't really know or talk it, is not worth it, the real purpose emerges.

I have decided that I am going to give up Facebook for Lent and see how I feel after. I do find it to be a useful communication tool for events and people that I haven;t talked to in awhile, but I find probably 80 percent of it annoying. In my opinion, not worth it.
The first thing to do is disable games and all that silly stuff. Then block game invitations. Then all you should see are updates from your friends. Usually that's the stuff you want to see -- updates, posts, photos, from people you care about. If certain people keep posting whiny crap that bothers you, then block them. If you see posts from people and you think "You know, I don't really care about what this person is doing", well, you know what to do!

Facebook is starting to throw in "sponsored" news feeds, and shoving companies in your face which your friends have "liked". (I know a lot of my friends have apparently "liked" Toyota, because I keep seeing ads for Toyotas show up in my news feed..."Joe likes this!") So if you want to avoid being part of that nonsense, don't "like" any companies.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:50 PM   #89
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020

I have to use facebook to coordinate a class group but don't use it to communicate with other friends.

For some reason Google+ has really taken off in our group, hangouts are a really fun feature. (which i'm having issues with)

I enjoy twitter for news too.

Facebook is just a work tool for me really.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:33 PM   #90
LaymansDomain
macrumors member

I am tempted to drop my account as well...
LaymansDomain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:47 PM   #91
SpyderBite
macrumors 65816

I use Facebook for marketing purposes. It's a large audience of noobs who will click on anything that appears on a wall post. ^^
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:47 PM   #92
wvuwhat
macrumors 65816

I had 500+ friends at one time, usually people I had classes with while I was in college.

About a year after graduation I weened that 500 down to about 120.

About another year later, just deleted it outright.

Then, I started applying for social media jobs and decided to start another. Have about 80 friends and they are either "true" friends or family.

If I see someone post some stupid stuff over and over again I just block them from my newsfeed (See: Election Time).
wvuwhat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:56 AM   #93
sim667
macrumors 6502a

I know every single person on my facebook personally. I dont add people I dont know. So its never been an issue.

I like the way the first thing the OP did when they shut down their facebook is tell everyone on here..... No better than updating your status really is it?
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:29 PM   #94
opinioncircle
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
True words, except when your family is scattered across time zones and countries...

Facebook does allow small timely messages. The mistake I made was to add people from work. And now cleansing the friends list just feels insane, especially with people you spend 8 to 9 hours with per day...
Old Mar 11, 2013, 08:37 AM   #95
AppleFanBoy1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum Abuser View Post
After nearly three years on the site I deleted my account! Nothing much else to say about it besides that I was tired of all the (To be honest) and 'like' whores who kept popping up everyday. Kind of reminded me of Myspace. Anyways now to start focusing more on my actual life instead of the virtual one.
You FaceBook is still up. I'm friends with you on Facebook.
AppleFanBoy1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 05:15 PM   #96
AlyseM
macrumors member

I did the same! But my husband still has his and my god is it annoying how much he checks it.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 05:20 PM   #97
stridemat

I'm approaching two weeks sober and I no longer miss it. My phone battery life has also dramatically improved
Old Mar 11, 2013, 05:31 PM   #98
rei101
macrumors 6502a

Facebook alter ego

Facebook as well as texting, becomes an alter ego, another "me", a totally different personality.

There you have the "relationships" you can not have in real life... because they are not real. You express some other kind of things and faster, the feedback is faster.

You end up creating another "you", more controlled, an alter ego.

At the end is a total lie (as every ego is). Nothing like having real life interaction with real responses.

I have had people who text me things they wouldn't say in person because they are scared of the reply. Some other people show what they are not, las week I kick out a "friend" from my apartment because he was a total loser, 40 years old, no money, nasty, narcissist, but he always post pictures of him with any celebrity in town to make people believe he was rich.

I have had girls who have this awesome pictures of hers full of smiles, one attempt to suicide last year and spoke to me asking for help, the other one is into drugs and is a hooker.

But those are things they do not show and that is why they keep doing it, because in Facebook they are "rock stars".

I live overseas and my friends are away but I am considering deleting my Facebook account as well, I believe I will resolve many problems in life as well.
rei101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:46 PM   #99
tekboi
macrumors 6502a

I commend you OP. I don't have the will power to deactivate my account because all of my friends and family are on it. Plus, alot of organizations i'm involved with make their announcements through Facebook.
tekboi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 01:50 AM   #100
lwood1
macrumors regular

Well done! I hardly use mine anymore. When I sign on I go straight to my profile page so I don't have to read the feed.

Twitter for the win.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Tags
deleted facebook account